Need advice on Tablet: Kurta, Calcomp, or Wacom

Need advice on Tablet: Kurta, Calcomp, or Wacom

Post by Todd Burggr » Fri, 17 Feb 1995 17:45:46

I am in the market for a pressure-sensitive tablet; Either a 6x9 or 12x12
for use with Painter 3.0 for the Power Mac.  Could someone tell me the pros and cons
of Wacom's ARTZ -Calcomp's Drwaing Slate - Kurta's 12x12
Do any of these offer 'menu strips' for quick access to menus?

Post by nell » Mon, 20 Feb 1995 00:38:10

>I am in the market for a pressure-sensitive tablet; Either a 6x9 or 12x12
>for use with Painter 3.0 for the Power Mac.  Could someone tell me the pros and
>cons
>of Wacom's ARTZ -Calcomp's Drwaing Slate - Kurta's 12x12
>Do any of these offer 'menu strips' for quick access to menus?

The Wacom 12x12 has a menu strip, and the set-up and user controls are
excellent.

nellus...

mmm...

Post by David Ellio » Mon, 20 Feb 1995 05:12:46

>I am in the market for a pressure-sensitive tablet; Either a 6x9 or 12x12
>for use with Painter 3.0 for the Power Mac.  Could someone tell me the pros and cons
>of Wacom's ARTZ -Calcomp's Drwaing Slate - Kurta's 12x12
>Do any of these offer 'menu strips' for quick access to menus?

I have a Wacom ArtPad (the 4x5 tablet) and a Calcomp Drawing Slate II
6x9 right here.  Both are ADB tablets and both work fine along with
a mouse or trackball.

The ArtPad is a nice size for working in a cramped space (the person
I'm borrowing it from got it for use with a PowerBook), and the pen
is light and comfortable.  The major drawback I've found is the cord
is fairly thick where it comes out of the pad.

The DrawingSlate II is relatively large and heavy.  Neither of these
are problems - the pad is stable and comfortable to work with.

The pen is larger and heavier than the Wacom pen, but I've never found
it to be uncomfortable.  It has two buttons, so you can assign
commands to the tip (normally used for single click) and both buttons.

Above the drawing area there are 27 clickable areas.  The first 3 let
you switch between mouse mode and two tablet modes without going to the
control panel or keyboard.  Mouse mode is what you'd expect - relative
positioning.  The two tablet modes can be customized as needed - I have
mine set so that one maps the tablet to the whole screen, and the other
maps a small part of the tablet (the part my hand can smove the pen
without lifting) to the whole screen.  The next 6 areas send common
command keys (O, S, X, C, V, and Z).  The other 18 can be programmed to
send any keys, though I have left them alone and use QuickKeys (with
the QuickKeys control panel attached to the 18th area for quick
access).  Another neat feature is that the DrawingSlate II has a clear
plastic sheet over the drawing area that can be lifted up to put a
piece of paper under it for tracing or gridding or whatever.  This
lifts up enough that you can even put label strips on the macro areas.

The one drawback I've found is the annoying lights at the bottom.  The
power light blinks all the time, and the mode light is on unless you
are using the tablet in mouse mode.  I will probably cover these up.

I really like the Calcomp, and have no problem recommending it, but I
expect that the Wacom and Kurta tablets are fine as well.  The fact is,
I got the Calcomp because of the rebate - it cost me $179 after the
rebate.
--

Need advice on Tablet: Kurta, Calcomp, or Wacom

Post by Ting » Tue, 21 Feb 1995 05:13:45

I have a Wacom UD 12 x 12 tablet, I've had experience with Kurta, compare
to all the digitizers that I've seen, I think Wacom is the best choice for
me, the stylus is very lightweight, very comfortable, and the only one in
all the cordless catagories that does not require a battery.

1. Need advice on Tablet- Wacom, Calcomp, or Kurta??

I am in the market for a pressure-sensitive tablet; Either a 6x9 or 12x12
for use with Painter 3.0 for the Power Mac.  Could someone tell me the pros and cons
of Wacom's ARTZ -Calcomp's Drwaing Slate - Kurta's 12x12
Do any of these offer 'menu strips' for quick access to menus?

2. view files with mac gs?

3. My decision on graphics tablets - wacom, calcomp, summagraphics.

4. jpeg export action

5. CalComp or Wacom for low end tablet?

6. setting up the "key"

7. Wacom and Calcomp Tablets

8. Help understanding image color modes...

9. Calcomp Tablets vs. Wacom

10. Wacom vs. Calcomp tablets

11. Wacom and CalComp pressure sensitive ADB tablets

12. Help with pressure tablets - Wacom or Calcomp?

13. Wacom or Calcomp Tablet?