White Shadow Around Text

Post by A Touch Of Scottis » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 02:54:34

Can anyone help me with animation shop,i make animated signatures and when i
put in the text to use i keep getting a white shadow around the text and it
looks terrible,i want it to be transparent around the text any help with be
very much appreciated thankyou.

White Shadow Around Text

Post by Mark Johnso » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:07:13

Quote:>Can anyone help me with animation shop,i make animated signatures and when i
>put in the text to use i keep getting a white shadow around the text and it
>looks terrible,i want it to be transparent around the text any help with be
>very much appreciated thankyou.

A white shadow perhaps because you grabbed the edge-aliased signature
from a write background?

If the problem is how to select out the write background and
substitute the color that forms the background in AS, in your AS
strip, then it would depend.

Maybe you could post the image, the signature image, on
alt.binaries.comp-graphics. Perhaps there's something specific, there,
that a more generic answer would not go to.

White Shadow Around Text

Post by Kris Zaklik » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:37:40

Quote:

> Can anyone help me with animation shop,i make animated signatures and when i
> put in the text to use i keep getting a white shadow around the text and it
> looks terrible,i want it to be transparent around the text any help with be
> very much appreciated thankyou.

When you make an animation, you are most likely making an
animated GIF file. In a GIF file one, and only one, color
can be marked as transparent. This is a feature of the
GIF format. For example, if you place text on a white
background you can only mark the white background as
transparent. If, at the edges of your letters, there is
a gradual blend of color from white to the letter color
none of this blend region can be labeled transparent in
addition to the white background. The region will appear
as a halo or "shadow". (It won't be exactly white but
pretty close to white.) You will get such a blend region
if you make text from a feathered selection or if you
use antialiased text. To avoid the white halo or shadow,
don't feather and don't antialias.

Kris Zaklika              Jasc Software, Inc.                   The

White Shadow Around Text

Post by Brendan R. Wehru » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:48:47

The simplest way to clean up what is essentially a line drawing (the
signature) is to reduce it to 2-bit then return it to 16 million colors
and colorize it as necessary.  This doesn't always work if the original
scan picked up a lot of shades of gray, as in ink on heavily textured
paper, but for a quick-and-dirty it usually suits.

Brendan

Post by Kris Zaklik » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:24:53

> The simplest way to clean up what is essentially a line drawing (the
> signature) is to reduce it to 2-bit then return it to 16 million colors
> and colorize it as necessary.  This doesn't always work if the original
> scan picked up a lot of shades of gray, as in ink on heavily textured
> paper, but for a quick-and-dirty it usually suits.

Or Colors > Adjust > Threshold instead, since it gives more
control.

> Brendan

> >>Can anyone help me with animation shop,i make animated signatures and when i
> >>put in the text to use i keep getting a white shadow around the text and it
> >>looks terrible,i want it to be transparent around the text any help with be
> >>very much appreciated thankyou.

> > A white shadow perhaps because you grabbed the edge-aliased signature
> > from a write background?

> > If the problem is how to select out the write background and
> > substitute the color that forms the background in AS, in your AS
> > strip, then it would depend.

> > Maybe you could post the image, the signature image, on
> > alt.binaries.comp-graphics. Perhaps there's something specific, there,
> > that a more generic answer would not go to.

Kris Zaklika              Jasc Software, Inc.                   The

1. Haze around text in JPEGs with non-white backgrounds

I am using Paint Shop Pro 4 for Win 95 & Alien Skin filters.

I am frustrated.

When you place light colored text on a dark background,
the image seems to get this "haze" of garbage around the
characters.  This is easily seen when you magnify the image.

Also, if you place a jpeg on a dark background, the edges of
the image never blend smoothly (you can see a faint rectangle
even though the colors are supposed to be the same).

Now I know I should probably use a transparent GIF, but I have
two problems:

1) You can't use Alien Skin filters in 256 color mode
2) the Antialias (sp?) feature which smoothes out the font
   edges also doesn't work in 256 color mode.

Is this only a problem with Paint Shop Pro?  Should I buy
a different graphics package?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Any replies GREATLY appreciated.

Jason Kramer

2. Need Help Chosing a Card

3. shadows around text

4. Spectra 1200 Scanner

5. White Block Around Web Image

6. pslatex problem

7. White lines (borders?) around Clarisworks graphics

8. Procedure for making transparent GIFS on a complex background (without little white dots around the edges)

9. White pixel artifacts around a selection

10. white edges around JPEG in Director

11. White Boxes Around Tiffs

12. Help removing that 1-pixel white line around .gifs