Epson Stylus Pro XL PS rip?

Post by Mitch Matte » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

How is this? Anyone used it?

Is the Postscript Power RIP option useable?

The output looks great, but I'm curious about the RIP.

Thanks.

Epson Stylus Pro XL PS rip?

Post by Charles Reeves, Jr » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> >The output looks great, but I'm curious about the RIP.

> The RIP is software based, and uncomfortably slow. I have experience with
> StyleScript as well, and I can tell you that Epson's is like molasses
> compared with StyleScript.

> If you don't need the 11x17 output that the XL offers, a significantly
> better choice for a PL-2 compliant inkjet is the HP 1600CM, which has PL2
> on-board in hardware. You pay a premium for that, as you would for any
> laser printer with on-board PL2, but if you're interested in printing more
> than a page or two a day and don't want to hammer your Mac while the RIP
> rips, then it's a much better choice.

Sorry, but I beg to differ.  At 300 dpi, the HP model doesn't come close
to the 720 dpi output of the XL.  I use PowerRIP on the XL and don't
really think it is all that slow when printing from my 8500/120.  And I
print some pretty big files.  Haven't looked at StyleScript, though.