WP PC files to Mac Illustrator

Post by Al Sher » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > I need a few clues from some Mac users. I am working with a PC running
> > WordPerfect 6.1 and needing to transfer these files to a Mac running
> > Illustrator. To make things more complicated, I'm working with Cyrillic
> > fonts (Russian). What's the trick to sending these as e-mail
> > attachments?

  > I wish I could help you but I am having a similar problem. I thought if I
add
  > another element to this discussion we might both find an answer. I would
like
  > to send my Illustrator files to WordPerfect 6.1 on PC. The issue is not
that
  > it is a word processor, rather, WordPerfect's proprietary graphics format
is
  > bit map (WordPerfect has a built in draw program that saves graphics as
  > *.wpg, and it is these files that I think you want to convert). I know
that
  > the shareware program Graphic Converter 2.4 has a filter for this format,
and
  > you could use it to convert your files to a TIFF or PICT and then import
  > these into Illustrator. If you want to have vector artwork, you have to
pass
  > the TIFF through Streamline or use the autotrace feature of Illustrator.

  > My problem is that if I rasterize the vector artwork in Illustrator and
save
  > as a *.BMP or *.JPEG  the whole 8.5"x11" file is saved. If I rasterize at
300
  > dpi for output on a laser printer, the saved file is 250 MB, too big to
be of
  > any use. I just want a few elements at the top of the page and the rest
is
  > blank. I tried to rasterize with a mask, but the text isn't rasterized,
only
  > the graphics. I've always had luck finding work-arounds, only this
company
  > won't switch from WordPerfect.

  > Just adding to the computer confusion.
  > Thanks, Rick.

These are two different problems. The second--even though you're making a
mountain out of a molehill-- is easier. Just save your Illustrator doc as an
EPS and when you place it into WP or Word, the program will automatically
raster it down to a 72 dpi bitmapped piece of art. You can size it from
there. If you want better output resolution, you're using the wrong program.

As far as the first problem, you can't get there from here.
All you'll be able to get across is plain text to import into Illustrator. If
you used any special ASCII characters, forget them. Any layout or art will
have to be recreated. Its probably will be easier to take a screen capture,
print it and fax it, so it can be recreated. And nothing will be able to be
accomplished, if your colleague doesn't have the same or suitable replacement
cyrillic font on his Mac.

- Al Sherer, TRoU BBS, Chicago area

1. WP PC files to Mac Illustrator

I need a few clues from some Mac users. I am working with a PC running
WordPerfect 6.1 and needing to transfer these files to a Mac running
Illustrator. To make things more complicated, I'm working with Cyrillic
fonts (Russian). What's the trick to sending these as e-mail
attachments?

I understand Adobe File Utilities can convert the formates and cross
platforms. True?

Forgive me for this next question. You have to understand that I've only
touched a Mac when I was playing computer games on the display model in
the store. Anyway, can a Mac accept an IBM formated disk?

Have mercy on the new guy!
Thanks

2. PC Render time question. Please help

3. Illustrator file from PC to Mac

4. Setting a Picture object with HBITMAP

5. PC Illustrator files to a MAC?

6. My fonts have spurs

7. Problems opening TIFF files in MAC/WP

8. Animation Schools What do they really want to see in a Portfolio?

9. Urgent: mac to pc to mac file conversion

10. Illustrator?Mac to Pc Preview

11. Mac Illustrator-->PC Corel??

12. Illustrator (mac) -> Corel Draw (pc)

13. Illustrator fil from PC to Mac