OpenGL accel. on SGI O2/R10K

Post by Himanshu Goh » Sat, 06 Sep 1997 04:00:00

NOTE: Please remove XXX from my email address to reply directly.

I'm trying to get some information on exactly what OpenGL ops are
accelerated by hardware on an SGI O2, with the R10K processor,
which is running IRIX 6.3.

Looking through the manuals on-line and the books that came with
it, I didn't see anything.  It didn't seem to be any thing on
the sgi web site either.  Is there a white paper that describes
this?

Thanks for any pointers!

Please remove XXX from my email address to reply directly.

--

Geometric Modeling/Graphics Research Group, U of South Florida, Tampa,FL

||>    I've got to make a play to make my lover stay                 <||
||>    What would an angel say the devil wants to know...            <||
||>                                       "Criminal", Fiona Apple    <||

OpenGL accel. on SGI O2/R10K

Post by Allen Ak » Sat, 06 Sep 1997 04:00:00

| I'm trying to get some information on exactly what OpenGL ops are
| accelerated by hardware on an SGI O2, with the R10K processor,
| which is running IRIX 6.3.
|
| Looking through the manuals on-line and the books that came with
| it, I didn't see anything.  It didn't seem to be any thing on
| the sgi web site either.  Is there a white paper that describes
| this?

The information hasn't been published yet, as far as I know.  It should
appear in the next edition of the ``OpenGL on Silicon Graphics
Systems'' book.  The previous edition is online at this URL:

        http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/dynaweb_bin/0640/bin/nph-dynaweb.cgi/...

The information I have might not be up-to-date, so view this with an
appropriate amount of skepticism.  Here's a partial list of things that
are accelerated:

        Rendering to offscreen memory (pbuffers) as well as windows.
        PixelZoom of 1 to 16 and 1/(2 to 2047).
        Blending.
        1D and 2D Texturing (all standard filter modes).
        Convolution with 3x3, 5x5, and 7x7 kernels.
        Histogramming.
        Color matrix operations.
        Per-vertex fog.
        Depth buffering.
        Stencilling.
        Smooth and flat shading.
        Dithering.
        Line antialiasing.
        Accumulation buffer operations.

O2 does geometry processing (transformations, lighting, clipping) in
the host processor.

Allen

1. OpenGL accel. on SGI O2/R10K

[...]

2. PC - PRman

3. O2 R10K 175 vs Octane R10K 175

4. Help:Render to Print resolution

5. O2-R10K@175mhz vs Octane-R10K@175mhz

6. LW 5.0 lens flare/AVI bug?

7. SGI O2-R10K-250MHz

8. PC-GPE 2 Request for articles.

9. SGI release OpenGL window / GLX API as Open Source to bring hardware accel to Linux