OK, here's my gazillion newbie-questions to PRMan. I hope someone will
answer just a few of them .....
I haven't yet read The RenderMan Companion (I have ordered it - still
waiting) so maybe some of these questions will be answered there - but
I'm too impatient .... so please bear with me.
1. I'm using a Mac and am aware, of cause, that Pixar (Steve, how
could you!) has stopped developing MacRM. The last version of MacRMan
is 1.3.5b5. How does it differ in terms of functionality from the Unix
one - can I compile a shader, say from this usegroup and expect it to
work on the Mac?
2. I have heard rumers that The Valis Group is going to release a new
version of ShowPlace/RM. If that's true, will RM continue to get
updated for the Mac through Valis?
3. How does PRman do reflections in general. Do you have to render two
(or more) images - one from the reflective objects 'point of view' and
map it onto the actual object and rerender the scene, or is there a
simpler way? (I believe BMRT does raytracing, but since I have a Mac
etc. etc. ... BTW, does BMRT do raytracing WITH soft mapped shadows?)
4. Does anyone know of a photoshop plugin that enables you to open and
edit .Tex, .Bump and .Env images?
5. The PPC-platform, scheduled sometime late this year, will run the
Solaris Unix OS (I think) as well as MacOS and WinNT - does the
current PRman for Unix run on that OS?
6. I have heard of some docs called RenderMan Toolkit, is that
available on the net somewhere?
7. I have absolutety no knowledge of the C language what so ever, but
I have done some light 'programming' with Basic, Lingo and messed a
lot with the POV raytracer (and I think SOME of the RenderMan
interface resembles it). Should I forget about the whole thing?