Newbie newbie questions

Post by Martin Stende » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

OK, here's my gazillion newbie-questions to PRMan. I hope someone will
answer just a few of them .....

I haven't yet read The RenderMan Companion (I have ordered it - still
waiting) so maybe some of these questions will be answered there - but
I'm too impatient .... so please bear with me.

1. I'm using a Mac and am aware, of cause, that Pixar (Steve, how
could you!) has stopped developing MacRM. The last version of MacRMan
is 1.3.5b5. How does it differ in terms of functionality from the Unix
one - can I compile a shader, say from this usegroup and expect it to
work on the Mac?

2. I have heard rumers that The Valis Group is going to release a new
version of ShowPlace/RM. If that's true, will RM continue to get
updated for the Mac through Valis?

3. How does PRman do reflections in general. Do you have to render two
(or more) images - one from the reflective objects 'point of view' and
map it onto the actual object and rerender the scene, or is there a
simpler way? (I believe BMRT does raytracing, but since I have a Mac
etc. etc. ... BTW, does BMRT do raytracing WITH soft mapped shadows?)

4. Does anyone know of a photoshop plugin that enables you to open and
edit .Tex, .Bump and .Env images?

5. The PPC-platform, scheduled sometime late this year, will run the
Solaris Unix OS (I think) as well as MacOS and WinNT - does the
current PRman for Unix run on that OS?

6. I have heard of some docs called RenderMan Toolkit, is that
available on the net somewhere?

7. I have absolutety no knowledge of the C language what so ever, but
I have done some light 'programming' with Basic, Lingo and messed a
lot with the POV raytracer (and I think SOME of the RenderMan
interface resembles it). Should I forget about the whole thing?

Newbie newbie questions

Post by Larry Gri » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>world are the MIPS, Dec Alpha, and PowerPC.  They've just dropped out of
>the market of 2 of those chips (Alpha, and PowerPC) yet they still support
>Suns?  Get a clue, performance wise Suns stink.

Gosh, I sure do wish you'd told us that before we ran off and rendered
Toy Story with a room full of Suns.  We were somehow deluded into
thinking it was a pretty good price/performance machine.  Good thing
we've been set straight.

Ornery on Monday morning,

        -- lg

--
Larry Gritz

Newbie newbie questions

Post by Joshua Boy » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> OK, here's my gazillion newbie-questions to PRMan. I hope someone will
> answer just a few of them .....

> I haven't yet read The RenderMan Companion (I have ordered it - still
> waiting) so maybe some of these questions will be answered there - but
> I'm too impatient .... so please bear with me.

> 1. I'm using a Mac and am aware, of cause, that Pixar (Steve, how
> could you!) has stopped developing MacRM. The last version of MacRMan
> is 1.3.5b5. How does it differ in terms of functionality from the Unix
> one - can I compile a shader, say from this usegroup and expect it to
> work on the Mac?

I personally think that it was wrong of them to drop support for their
windows NT version too.  I would say that the 3 most powerful CPU's in the
world are the MIPS, Dec Alpha, and PowerPC.  They've just dropped out of
the market of 2 of those chips (Alpha, and PowerPC) yet they still support
Suns?  Get a clue, performance wise Suns stink.

Quote:> 2. I have heard rumers that The Valis Group is going to release a new
> version of ShowPlace/RM. If that's true, will RM continue to get
> updated for the Mac through Valis?

Have you heard anything about hem supporting NT?

Quote:> 5. The PPC-platform, scheduled sometime late this year, will run the
> Solaris Unix OS (I think) as well as MacOS and WinNT - does the
> current PRman for Unix run on that OS?

Linux will also run on Macs PPC.  I think BMRT is available for it, Not
sure.

Newbie newbie questions

Post by Jeremy Mea » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > OK, here's my gazillion newbie-questions to PRMan. I hope someone will
> > answer just a few of them .....

> > I haven't yet read The RenderMan Companion (I have ordered it - still
> > waiting) so maybe some of these questions will be answered there - but
> > I'm too impatient .... so please bear with me.

> > 1. I'm using a Mac and am aware, of cause, that Pixar (Steve, how
> > could you!) has stopped developing MacRM. The last version of MacRMan
> > is 1.3.5b5. How does it differ in terms of functionality from the Unix
> > one - can I compile a shader, say from this usegroup and expect it to
> > work on the Mac?

MacRenderman will be reborn in MacVertigo, and  will be a totally
intergrated into it. And a solution will be available for the
MacRenderman init post-copland. http://www.vertigo3d.com/

YAY! MacRenderman is alive!

are for their support of MacRenderman and the mac. It's always good to
encourage them :)

hope this helps

--

We're supposed to meddle with things we don't understand.
If we  hung around waitin' till we understood things we'd

1. NEWBIE NEWBIE question

This is probably a dumb question but I only have 1 month experience using
MAYA.
Whenever I create a shading group, the multilister displays the shading
group node under the GENERAL tab and the phongGroup node under the
MATERIALS tab.  What steps do I need to take in order to access the
phongGroup node using the shading group icon arrow?  It seems to me that
they are not linked.  I would greatly appreciate it if anyone explained the
hierarchy of shading nodes and how they are displayed in the multilister.
Thanks in advance:)

Daniel

2. req: Apple Smiling Face

3. Newbie with newbie questions

4. problems opening Pagemaker 6.5 file Windows 98

5. This may sound as a newbie question when really i'm not actually a newbie :)

6. hope to hear from soonest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Newbie of newbie - help please !

8. LP Overdrive?

9. gif vs jpg (newbie to newbie)

10. Lightwave Newbie Not 3D Newbie - Looking for Tutorial URL's

11. hermite curves [newbie++][very newbie]

12. Newbie question on tif format

13. Newbie question/Scanned pix