FreeHand vs. Illustrator vs. CorelDRAW8

Post by Ro » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Allright, allright.  I know.  This has to be ground that
has been *led
> over many, many times.     But I have to ask, before

blowing next month's rent
Quote:> AND switching to a diet of Ramen and coffee, which one
of the three titans
> above would you recommend for someone looking for
the following in a
> vector-drawing program:

>   (1) Trouble-free switching between formats (i.e.

excellent export/import
Quote:> filters)  (2) Flexibility in tool use (i.e. highly

configurable tools, so
Quote:> that if you can't do something, there is a work-around)
(3) I want to avoid
> stalling a project to spend several hours sifting through
the help files
> wondering how to do something like

snap-to-points/anchors/nodes: in other
Quote:> words, an interface that is either intuitive, configurable
and with an
> emphasis on ease-of-access.

> I really like FreeHand's floating Transform menu, and

think that CorelDRAW-8
Quote:> has the prettiest interface (hey! nothing wrong is

aesthetics as criterion!),
Quote:> and Illustrator, well, um ... I guess Illustrator is by
Adobe, and these
> people also bring us PhotoShop, and well, that means

that Illustrator has
Quote:> gotta be good, right?  I don't know: it's so damn slow.

I use all three, everyday. I grew up on Illustrator, then
switched to Freehand a while back, because of certain
features, now finally I'm on a PC using Corel. I like Corel a
lot but I have to admit, I would not like it if it was the first
vector program I ever used. It's kind of weird, does things
in its own wierd way, where as Illustrator and Freehand
operate much the same, use a lot of the same terminology,
etc.

Corel is the worst for trouble-free switching between
formats, Freehand is the best at that.  Freehand and
Illustrator can swap files all day long, and export to any
page-layout program. Freehand can flat OPEN Illustrator
files, not import them, open them. Corel is a bit weird; I
have had little success opening any sophisticated Corel files
in either Illustrator or Freehand. Also some Corel eps files
are mind-bogglingly HUGE. The postscript code from Corel
seems cumbersome. However, Corel can do a lot of things
the other two cannot; Corel's instant dropshadows are worth
the price of admission alone. What a fabulous timesaver.
Freehand 8's dropshadows are horrible in comparison. Also
Corel has some terrific texture generating capabilities.
Really good.

Unfortunately Corel is generally snubbed/and or unuseable
in the Mac/printer/service burea world. We have a PC based
service bureau so that's irrelevant. Mac image-setters tend
to throw up Corel eps files. Consider all the other computers
you will be switching files with: printers, * artists,
etc etc. If they are all Mac, forget Corel. If they are all PC,
and you have vector art program experience, Corel is a hell
of a deal price-wise and a very good program.

It's really a toss-up between Illustrator and Freehand, as
they almost seem to be the same program these days, with
different interfaces, and slightly different features. Both can
easier, I use Freehand with Photoshop all the time. If your
printer/service bureau uses Macs, and most of them do, get
either Freehand or Illustrator. Be sure to ASK your
printer/service bureau if the have a PC or Mac image setter.
This is very important. Mac bureaus will tell you all day
long that they can take your PC/Corel file . Sure they can.
What they wont tell you is that all your text will re-flow,
your images will get puked out, etc etc, it's basically a
nightmare.

email me privately if you want more boring info.

Rod

Post by Ron Pepp » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Allright, allright.  I know.  This has to be ground that has been *led
> over many, many times.  But I have to ask, before blowing next month's rent
> AND switching to a diet of Ramen and coffee, which one of the three titans
> above would you recommend for someone looking for the following in a
> vector-drawing program:

snip...

From the point of view of a service bureau (Mac based) Illustrator files
are by far the easiest (read less costly) of the vector based files to
output.

--
All things, in due time...
Ron Pepper

FreeHand vs. Illustrator vs. CorelDRAW8

Post by BRI » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

CorelDRAW 8 for Mac is "coming soon" and that may help with the "playing
with others" thing.  The Corel UI is a big deal.  You can customize it  to
fit different tasks and save each workspace to get it back later.  You think
something would make more sense to you in a different menu, move it, no
problem.  The inclusion of Photo Paint is more important then ever.  I think
it is now a must have.  In many ways it is better then PhotoShop, sure PS
still has its own strengths.  I looked at PS 5's new feature list and
thought so what PP 8 has all that and does most of it better.  All I hear
about Illustrator (from non biased folks) is it is SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWW.  I
would pick the brains of the other posters and choose between Freehand and
Draw.  I haven't used Freehand in years so I couldn't give you a informed
choice there.

--
Later from L.A.,
Brian Witter

Post by Nick C Shi » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > Allright, allright.  I know.  This has to be ground that has been *led
> > over many, many times.  But I have to ask, before blowing next month's rent
> > AND switching to a diet of Ramen and coffee, which one of the three titans
> > above would you recommend for someone looking for the following in a
> > vector-drawing program:
> snip...

> From the point of view of a service bureau (Mac based) Illustrator files
> are by far the easiest (read less costly) of the vector based files to
> output.

If you feel a little ambitious or just to let you know:  try some Linux
software.
A bunch of them are free!  One example is KIllustrator.  Find the link at the
Scientific Applications for Linux (SAL):
    http://www.veryComputer.com/

Have fun.
Nick Shin

FreeHand vs. Illustrator vs. CorelDRAW8

Post by Tim Wagne » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

A long-time Corel user, I recently started using Illustrator so I could have
more flexibility bringing stuff into PageMaker (at least my thoughts...).

After going through all the tutorials and working with it several days, I
observe the following:

1. Corel is much faster and more powerful.
2. Illustrator has better color management features. I wish Corel was as
easy in this area.
3. Corel's interface is easier to use, though it lacks that nice "tab" key
feature of making all the pallettes disappear and reappear.
4. Corel has much more powerful import/export features. You can't even
import another AI file into Illustrator - you have to copy and paste them.
Almost amusing.

I asked a bunch of service bureaus way back when, which one I should use.
All the Mac places said stay away from Corel. All the PC places said stay
away from Illustrator. See a pattern developing? I'm glad I only do this
stuff part time!

My bread and butter is staying with Corel.

-Tim

Post by Mark Durge » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

|Enjoyed your comments; interested in one particular section,
|import/export. Have you ever experienced RIP problems at the service
|bureau with EPS from Corel

I haven't, but I export to AI format. Then I open/save it in AI to double
check it. I use MacOpener to format Mac disks on my PC. I give them an AI
file on a Mac disk from my PC and everyone is happy.

That may sound like a lot of trouble, but the time saved working in Corel
over the other two more than makes up for it.

Mark Durgee

FreeHand vs. Illustrator vs. CorelDRAW8

Post by buddy » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have found, also, that it is necessary to sometimes go around the
"Cape" a couple of times to achieve my needs. Thanks.

Post by Matthew Erics » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>4. Corel has much more powerful import/export features. You can't even
>import another AI file into Illustrator - you have to copy and paste them.
>Almost amusing.

You know, I've recently heard a couple people complain about this when
comparing Illustrator to other programs. I never have understood why
they think this is a problem, since you can either:

1. Save your document in Illustrator EPS format (which is basically
Illustrator's native format with a preview added) and import that.

2. Copy-and-paste. Is it really that difficult to open the first file,
select all, copy, switch to the other file, and paste? (Plus, then its
much easier to manipulate the copied portion, since it's real artwork,
rather than a placed image.)

Although, I am a bit annoyed with Adobe for taking a nice, useable
Illustrator 6 interface and turning it into that monstrosity that they
call Illustrator 7. I'm halfway tempted to switch to Freehand 8 and turn
on its Illustrator 6 keyboard shortcuts setting ;-)

-Matt

Post by Mark Durge » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

|You know, I've recently heard a couple people complain about this when
|comparing Illustrator to other programs. I never have understood why
|they think this is a problem, since you can either:
|
|1. Save your document in Illustrator EPS format (which is basically
|Illustrator's native format with a preview added) and import that.
|
|2. Copy-and-paste. Is it really that difficult to open the first file,
|select all, copy, switch to the other file, and paste? (Plus, then its
|much easier to manipulate the copied portion, since it's real artwork,
|rather than a placed image.)

Neither are hard workarounds. But why use a workaround when this (very
basic) functionality should be in the program in the first place?

Say you have a logo you use often. Now I have to open it to cut and paste
it. Would have been a bit easier to just place the logo file. Being a bit
easier doesn't sound like much. But all the little bits add up in the course
of days and weeks.

Mark Durgee

Post by Brandon Blatch » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> |You know, I've recently heard a couple people complain about this when
> |comparing Illustrator to other programs. I never have understood why
> |they think this is a problem, since you can either:
> |
> |1. Save your document in Illustrator EPS format (which is basically
> |Illustrator's native format with a preview added) and import that.
> |
> |2. Copy-and-paste. Is it really that difficult to open the first file,
> |select all, copy, switch to the other file, and paste? (Plus, then its
> |much easier to manipulate the copied portion, since it's real artwork,
> |rather than a placed image.)

> Neither are hard workarounds. But why use a workaround when this (very
> basic) functionality should be in the program in the first place?

> Say you have a logo you use often. Now I have to open it to cut and paste
> it. Would have been a bit easier to just place the logo file. Being a bit
> easier doesn't sound like much. But all the little bits add up in the course
> of days and weeks.

So save it as an EPS. Then you can place it in other files AND open and
edit it. I don't see a problem here.

Post by Steve » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > |You know, I've recently heard a couple people complain about this when
> > |comparing Illustrator to other programs. I never have understood why
> > |they think this is a problem, since you can either:
> > |
> > |1. Save your document in Illustrator EPS format (which is basically
> > |Illustrator's native format with a preview added) and import that.
> > |
> > |2. Copy-and-paste. Is it really that difficult to open the first file,
> > |select all, copy, switch to the other file, and paste? (Plus, then its
> > |much easier to manipulate the copied portion, since it's real artwork,
> > |rather than a placed image.)

> > Neither are hard workarounds. But why use a workaround when this (very
> > basic) functionality should be in the program in the first place?

> > Say you have a logo you use often. Now I have to open it to cut and paste
> > it. Would have been a bit easier to just place the logo file. Being a bit
> > easier doesn't sound like much. But all the little bits add up in the course
> > of days and weeks.

> So save it as an EPS. Then you can place it in other files AND open and
> edit it. I don't see a problem here.

I guess some people are looking for arguments that make Illustrator took lame
compared to CorelDraw. You can expect them to come up with some far fetched
stuff. Illustrator is the standard. FreeHand surpasses the standard in some
areas. CorelDraw is a wannabee, it has no compelling advantages over the
others. That's my opinion.
--

(remove * if present)

FreeHand vs. Illustrator vs. CorelDRAW8

Post by Ro » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> stuff. Illustrator is the standard. FreeHand surpasses the standard in some
> areas. CorelDraw is a wannabee, it has no compelling advantages over the
> others. That's my opinion.
> --

I used to think so too, until I started messing with Corel 8. I was a diehard
Freehand-Illustrator user for years.
Corel 8's vector dropshadows are terrific, worth the price of admission alone. A great
time-saver. Freehand 8's dropshaodws are just plain ugly, Corel's are smooth and clearly
superior.
Corel also has incredible texture-generating engines, and you can convert these textures
into CMYK right inside Corel, you dont have to export it to another program, like you do
in Illustrator.
Plus now I'm on a PC, in a PC environment, and Corel works great with all the standard
PC cheap hosebag graphics programs like PowerPoint, the stuff all the "rest of the people
use".
However, if you are on a Mac, and your SB is Mac-based, and your clients/associates are
Mac-based, I would stick with Freehand or Illustrator.