Video Card for PC

Post by Timothy D. Hu » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi:

I'm about to buy a new PC for my wife's graphic design business.

My question is should I spend money on a high-end graphics card
such as the Number 9 128 card, or should I save money on the graphics
card and spend it on the CPU and extra memory.

My current plan is to get a 166MHz Pentium with a #9 128bit card.
What I'm thinking about is to get 200Mhz Pentium Pro, with the
"generic" video card that the vendor normally uses.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards
----
Tim Hunt
Fusion Systems Group, Inc., One Wall Street Court, New York NY 10005

Main number: +1-212-376-6300  Voicemail: +1-212-293-1021

Video Card for PC

Post by Paul Sill » Sun, 14 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi:
>I'm about to buy a new PC for my wife's graphic design business.
>My question is should I spend money on a high-end graphics card
>such as the Number 9 128 card, or should I save money on the graphics
>card and spend it on the CPU and extra memory.
>My current plan is to get a 166MHz Pentium with a #9 128bit card.
>What I'm thinking about is to get 200Mhz Pentium Pro, with the
>"generic" video card that the vendor normally uses.

My experience has been that if you skimp on the video card, the card
will become the limiting factor. You won't notice the speed
difference.

Then again the "generic" card may be perfectly adequate for either
machine. "Generic" cards are usually not that generic, you really
should ask the supplier more questions about the machine.

Paul Siller

"....as Canadian as possible under the circumstances"

Video Card for PC

Post by Chris Stoff » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Hi:

>I'm about to buy a new PC for my wife's graphic design business.

>My question is should I spend money on a high-end graphics card
>such as the Number 9 128 card, or should I save money on the graphics
>card and spend it on the CPU and extra memory.

>My current plan is to get a 166MHz Pentium with a #9 128bit card.
>What I'm thinking about is to get 200Mhz Pentium Pro, with the
>"generic" video card that the vendor normally uses.

>Any thoughts appreciated.

Why don't you shoot for somewhere in between? I have a Number 9 9FX Motion
771, and it's a really nice card. I think it is about half the price of the
128. Not as fast, of course, but it's no slouch. I think it could probably
handle most graphics design needs (although I must warn you that I am not a
graphic designer myself).

Check out #9's site <http://www.nine.com> for the specs.

Later,
Chris

1. G4 AGP video card in PC

I just got the updated AGP video card for the G4 from Apple for $99 that has
the ATI rage 128 pro chipset and the digital connector. So, now I'm left
with the old card that is just sitting around. Does anyone know if I can use
the old AGP card in a PC? I mean, at least I could get some use out of it
instead of it collecting dust.

Thanks.

Thomas

2. Animators/graphic aces needed

3. Apple Media Kit: video cards on PC?

4. What's DirectPhong TM ?

5. Video card for PC wanted:

6. PD program - Optiks

7. SGI Z-Buffer Video Card for PC

8. Where can I find? - Video cards for PC graphics performance benchmarks

9. --- PETITION for a MODERN BASIC VIDEO MODE on PC VIDEO CARDS ---

10. -- PETITION for a MODERN BASIC VIDEO MODE on PC VIDEO CARDS ---

11. Could someone suggest a great video card 32 meg video card with video out