pbmplus for ms-dos

Post by Philip A. Vit » Sun, 15 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I've seen a couple of implementations of these, both  compiled with a DOS
extender which unfortunately means they won't run in a DOS box under Windows
if you're using emm386.  Is there any reason why they couldn't be compiled
without the extender?  The progrms look small enough.  And does anyone
know, if it is possible, if it's been done, and where I could get hold of
the results?

----------------
Philip A. Viton
City & Regional Planning, OSU, 190 W. 17th Avenue, Columbus OH 43210

pbmplus for ms-dos

Post by Alexander Lehma » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: I've seen a couple of implementations of these, both  compiled with a DOS
: extender which unfortunately means they won't run in a DOS box under Windows
: if you're using emm386.  Is there any reason why they couldn't be compiled
: without the extender?  The progrms look small enough.  And does anyone
: know, if it is possible, if it's been done, and where I could get hold of
: the results?

The pbmplus tools store the image data in each processing step
completely in memory, depending on the settings with 24 or 48 bits per
pixel. Rewriting this to fit into DOS memory wouldn't be worth it, the
programs originated on unix where memory isn't an issue (usually) and
protect mode compilers are readily available for DOS (at least 5 at
last count).

As for DOS boxes, basically any DOS extender will work under Windows
(just take all the games written with DOS4GW or Quake with djgpp2),
but the port of pbmplus for DOS that is available on simtel was done
with a very old version of djgpp 1.x, which didn't support DPMI, so
what you have to do is take a current go32 executable and substitute
that for the one in the package.
(ftp.simtel.net/simtel.net/gnu/djgpp/v1/, the most current file is
dj112m3.zip). In addition, it maybe be necessary to update to the
current stub (unstub then stub the executables), but I don't think so.

bye, Alexander

--
Alexander Lehmann,                                  |  "On the Internet,

<URL:http://www.mathematik.th-darmstadt.de/~lehmann/>