Win98 canned!!!

Post by Joe Blog » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

In a bizarre turn of events today William Gates III told us that "Further
plans for the development of Windows 98 have been discontinued." This comes
on the heels MacWorld San Fransisco and after in-house testing of Apple
Computer's recent developer builds of their next generation OS codenamed
"Rhapsody".

When asked why he was discontinuing the Windows 98, Mr. Gates replied
"...After taking a good hard look at the excellent multi-platform OS coming
out of Cupertino, I realized that Winodws 98 just wouldn't be able to
compete.  This new Operating System from Apple is incredible!..."

We asked Mr. Gates (who insisted we call him Bill) about what this means
for the users of Windows 95 and he responded "...this means that a new OS
is upon us, one that I believe will, as I have always stated, show that
Apple Computer really is on the forefront of technology. It also means that
Microsoft can go back to it's roots and start developing quality software
for a revolutionary Operating System..."

We were stunned by this and asked Mr. Gates if he thought that the billions
of Windows 95 users would feel that Microsoft has left them "High and Dry"
and his response was "No, I firmly believe that Microsoft should have never
been in the OS business to begin with, it was not our intention.  We built
Microsoft on quality desktop applications such as Word and Excel and that
is what we are going back to. Many corporations viewed the superior
Macintosh as a toy; they didn't understand the elegance of the Mac.  When
they finally understood we saw an opportunity to bring a Macintosh-like
environment to the IBM PC. Windows 95 users will be happy to upgrade to
Apple's 'Rhapsody'.  We are working closely with Apple's engineers to
ensure that the Intel version of Rhapsody will run all of the current
Windows 95 software as well as the Native Rhapsody software."

Win98 canned!!!

Post by Acid Tenc » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> In a bizarre turn of events today William Gates III told us that "Further
> plans for the development of Windows 98 have been discontinued." This comes
> on the heels MacWorld San Fransisco and after in-house testing of Apple
> Computer's recent developer builds of their next generation OS codenamed
> "Rhapsody".

> When asked why he was discontinuing the Windows 98, Mr. Gates replied
> "...After taking a good hard look at the excellent multi-platform OS coming
> out of Cupertino, I realized that Winodws 98 just wouldn't be able to
> compete.  This new Operating System from Apple is incredible!..."

Can you provide me the URL to the article in reference above?

Stephen

Win98 canned!!!

Post by Armin Kusi » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> In a bizarre turn of events today William Gates III told us that "Further
> plans for the development of Windows 98 have been discontinued." This comes
> on the heels MacWorld San Fransisco and after in-house testing of Apple
> Computer's recent developer builds of their next generation OS codenamed
> "Rhapsody".

> When asked why he was discontinuing the Windows 98, Mr. Gates replied
> "...After taking a good hard look at the excellent multi-platform OS coming
> out of Cupertino, I realized that Winodws 98 just wouldn't be able to
> compete.  This new Operating System from Apple is incredible!..."

> We asked Mr. Gates (who insisted we call him Bill) about what this means
> for the users of Windows 95 and he responded "...this means that a new OS
> is upon us, one that I believe will, as I have always stated, show that
> Apple Computer really is on the forefront of technology. It also means that
> Microsoft can go back to it's roots and start developing quality software
> for a revolutionary Operating System..."

> We were stunned by this and asked Mr. Gates if he thought that the billions
> of Windows 95 users would feel that Microsoft has left them "High and Dry"
> and his response was "No, I firmly believe that Microsoft should have never
> been in the OS business to begin with, it was not our intention.  We built
> Microsoft on quality desktop applications such as Word and Excel and that
> is what we are going back to. Many corporations viewed the superior
> Macintosh as a toy; they didn't understand the elegance of the Mac.  When
> they finally understood we saw an opportunity to bring a Macintosh-like
> environment to the IBM PC. Windows 95 users will be happy to upgrade to
> Apple's 'Rhapsody'.  We are working closely with Apple's engineers to
> ensure that the Intel version of Rhapsody will run all of the current
> Windows 95 software as well as the Native Rhapsody software."

And it's not April, 1st. yet!

 Saying Windows 95 is equal to Macintosh is like finding
a potato that looks like Jesus and believing you have
witnessed the second coming.

Win98 canned!!!

Post by Jayf » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

| > In a bizarre turn of events today William Gates III told us that "Further
| > plans for the development of Windows 98 have been discontinued." This comes
| > on the heels MacWorld San Fransisco and after in-house testing of Apple
| > Computer's recent developer builds of their next generation OS codenamed
| > "Rhapsody".
| >
| > When asked why he was discontinuing the Windows 98, Mr. Gates replied
| > "...After taking a good hard look at the excellent multi-platform OS coming
| > out of Cupertino, I realized that Winodws 98 just wouldn't be able to
| > compete.  This new Operating System from Apple is incredible!..."
|
| Can you provide me the URL to the article in reference above?
|
| Stephen

      <URL:http://www.gullible.com/duh.html>

Jayfar
--
Jay Farrell            Jayfar's Original Virtual Macintosh

Philadelphia, USA        <URL:http://www.netaxs.com/~jayfar/live.desk.html>

THE APPLE DOOMSDAY CLOCK   <URL:http://www.netaxs.com/~jayfar/index.html>

Win98 canned!!!

Post by Gryff » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>> In a bizarre turn of events today William Gates III told us that "Further
>> plans for the development of Windows 98 have been discontinued." This comes
>> on the heels MacWorld San Fransisco and after in-house testing of Apple
>> Computer's recent developer builds of their next generation OS codenamed
>> "Rhapsody".

>> When asked why he was discontinuing the Windows 98, Mr. Gates replied
>> "...After taking a good hard look at the excellent multi-platform OS coming
>> out of Cupertino, I realized that Winodws 98 just wouldn't be able to
>> compete.  This new Operating System from Apple is incredible!..."

>> We asked Mr. Gates (who insisted we call him Bill) about what this means
>> for the users of Windows 95 and he responded "...this means that a new OS
>> is upon us, one that I believe will, as I have always stated, show that
>> Apple Computer really is on the forefront of technology. It also means that
>> Microsoft can go back to it's roots and start developing quality software
>> for a revolutionary Operating System..."

>> We were stunned by this and asked Mr. Gates if he thought that the billions
>> of Windows 95 users would feel that Microsoft has left them "High and Dry"
>> and his response was "No, I firmly believe that Microsoft should have never
>> been in the OS business to begin with, it was not our intention.  We built
>> Microsoft on quality desktop applications such as Word and Excel and that
>> is what we are going back to. Many corporations viewed the superior
>> Macintosh as a toy; they didn't understand the elegance of the Mac.  When
>> they finally understood we saw an opportunity to bring a Macintosh-like
>> environment to the IBM PC. Windows 95 users will be happy to upgrade to
>> Apple's 'Rhapsody'.  We are working closely with Apple's engineers to
>> ensure that the Intel version of Rhapsody will run all of the current
>> Windows 95 software as well as the Native Rhapsody software."

I dunno whatcha been smoking there, Joe... but do you mind sharing it?? :{D

--
Gryffin

"Never attribute to malice that which can
 be adequately explained by stupidity."
(non-SPAMbots should remove the 3spamsux2 from my address)

Win98 canned!!!

Post by Richard Tomki » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

This message however is real, and it is a solid demonstration of the
contempt that Bill Gates has for the customer base.
I cannot think of another company that does not fix bugs and improve the
quality of their product over time.
rtt

From: Bowie Poag
Newsgroups: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Bill Gates On A Bad Day
Date: 8 Dec 1997 05:41:01 -0700

Crossposed from comp.os.linux.misc:

--

In an interview for German weekly magazine FOCUS (nr.43, October 23,
1995, pages 206-212), Microsoft`s Mr. Bill Gates has made some

FOCUS: Every new release of a software which has less bugs than the older
one is also more complex and has more features...

Gates: No, only if that is what'll sell!

FOCUS: But...

Gates: Only if that is what'll sell! We've never done a piece of
software unless we thought it would sell. That's why everything we do in
software ... it's really amazing: We do it because we think that's what
customers want. That's why we do what we do.

FOCUS: But on the other hand - you would say: Okay, folks, if you don't
like these new features, stay with the old version, and keep the bugs?

Gates: No! We have lots and lots of competitors. The new version - it's
not there to fix bugs. That's not the reason we come up with a new
version.

FOCUS: But there are bugs in any version which people would really like
to have fixed.

Gates: No! There are no significant bugs in our released software that
any significant number of users want fixed.

FOCUS: Oh, my God. I always get mad at my computer if MS Word swallows
the page numbers of a document which I printed a couple of times with page
numbers. If I complain to anybody they say "Well, upgrade from version
5.11 to 6.0".

Gates: No! If you really think there's a bug you should report a bug.
Maybe you're not using it properly. Have you ever considered that?

FOCUS: Yeah, I did...

Gates: It turns out Luddites don't know how to use software properly, so
you should look into that. -- The reason we come up with new versions is
not to fix bugs. It's absolutely not. It's the stupidest reason to buy a
new version I ever heard. When we do a new version we put in lots of new
things that people are asking for. And so, in no sense, is stability a
reason to move to a new version. It's never a reason.

FOCUS: How come I keep being told by computer vendors "Well, we know
about this bug, wait till the next version is there, it'll be fixed"? I
hear this all the time. How come? If you're telling me there are no
significant bugs in software and there is no reason to do a new version?

Gates: No. I'm saying: We don't do a new version to fix bugs. We don't.
Not enough people would buy it. You can take a hundred people using
Microsoft Word. Call them up and say "Would you buy a new version
because of bugs?" You won't get a single person to say they'd buy a new
version because of bugs. We'd never be able to sell a release on that
basis.

FOCUS: Probably you have other contacts to your software developers. But
if Mister Anybody, like me, calls up a store or a support line and says,
"Hey listen, there's a bug" ... 90 percent of the time I get the answer
"Oh, well, yeah, that's not too bad, wait to the next version and it'll be
fixed". That's how the system works.

Gates: Guess how much we spend on phone calls every year.

FOCUS: Hm, a couple of million dollars?

Gates: 500 million dollars a year. We take every one of these phone
calls and classify them. That's the input we use to do the next version.
So it's like the worlds biggest feedback loop. People call in - we decide
what to do on it. Do you want to know what percentage of those phone calls
relates to bugs in the software? Less than one percent.

FOCUS: So people call in to say "Hey listen, I would love to have this
and that feature"?

Gates: Actually, that's about five percent. Most of them call to get
advice on how to do a certain thing with the software. That's the primary
thing. We could have you sit and listen to these phone calls.  There are
millions and millions of them. It really isn't statistically significant.
Sit in and listen to Win 95 calls, sit in and listen to Word calls, and
wait, just wait for weeks and weeks for someone to call in and say "Oh, I
found a bug in this thing". ...

FOCUS: So where does this common feeling of frustration come from that
unites all the PC users? Everybody experiences it every day that these
things simply don't work like they should.

Gates: Because it's cool. It's like, "Yeah, been there done that - oh,
yeah, I know that bug." - I can understand that phenomenon sociologically,
not technically.

    Executive Summary:

    So... Bug reports are statistically, therefore actually,
unimportant; If you want a bug fixed, you are (by definition) in the
minority; Microsoft doesn't fix bugs because bug fixes are not a
significant source of revenue; If you think you found a bug, it really
only means you're incompetent; Microsoft spends millions each year
convincing people that their complaints are groundless; Anyway, people
only complain about bugs to show how cool they are, not because bugs cause
any real problems.

    Straight from the horse's mouth.

--

o--+--------------------------------------------------------------------+--+--o

+==+====================================================================+==+==+
|                                                                             |
|   "8 out of 10 people with measurable brain activity agree..Java SUCKS!"    |
|                                                                             |
L+=+=======================================================================+==J

--
Views expressed are the author's alone, and not necessarily those of Digital Equipment Corporation. As required by new Digital Internet Policy #1.

This mind left BLANK intentionally!

Win98 canned!!!

Post by G. Mark Stewa » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: |
: | > In a bizarre turn of events today William Gates III told us that "Further
: | > plans for the development of Windows 98 have been discontinued." This comes

I suppose that we will always be debating these systems' relative merits,
but we all have to agree (????) that the current promise of Mac Rhapsody
and the current state of OS 8 and Win'95 are a quantum leap of quality
and usability over what they would have been had there not been the
*thirsty MS/Apple competition. And after being a Unix fan for about 20
years now, I'd say that Rhapsody could very well be a hacker's wet dream.
Cross your fingers.

Mark

Win98 canned!!!

Post by Steven Ka » Wed, 21 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> > In a bizarre turn of events today William Gates III told us that "Further
> > plans for the development of Windows 98 have been discontinued." This comes
> > on the heels MacWorld San Fransisco and after in-house testing of Apple
> > Computer's recent developer builds of their next generation OS codenamed
> > "Rhapsody".

> > When asked why he was discontinuing the Windows 98, Mr. Gates replied
> > "...After taking a good hard look at the excellent multi-platform OS coming
> > out of Cupertino, I realized that Winodws 98 just wouldn't be able to
> > compete.  This new Operating System from Apple is incredible!..."

> Can you provide me the URL to the article in reference above?

> Stephen

Sure! It's:

http://www.gullible.com
--
A rich man who hailed from Seattle               #```````
Wrote Win95 to do battle,                        #  ```````

http://www.kan.org                   ~                      .  #H2O##
Everybody S.H.I.N.E.             ~                            .#POLO#
Support Heterogeneity In Networked Environments      ~    ~    ######

Win98 canned!!!

Post by Steven Ka » Wed, 21 Jan 1998 04:00:00

[citation of FOCUS/Gates interview snipped]

Quote:>     Executive Summary:

>     So... Bug reports are statistically, therefore actually,
> unimportant; If you want a bug fixed, you are (by definition) in the
> minority; Microsoft doesn't fix bugs because bug fixes are not a
> significant source of revenue; If you think you found a bug, it really
> only means you're incompetent; Microsoft spends millions each year
> convincing people that their complaints are groundless; Anyway, people
> only complain about bugs to show how cool they are, not because bugs cause
> any real problems.

>     Straight from the horse's mouth.

Now I'd _really_ love to get the URL for this! I think this should be
posted on CNN, Yahoo and all the other popular spots!
--
A rich man who hailed from Seattle               #```````
Wrote Win95 to do battle,                        #  ```````
But Mac users pity                               #    ```````
The masses not witty                             #      ```````
Enough to know Wintel's for cattle.              #.       ```````

http://www.kan.org                   ~                      .  #H2O##
Everybody S.H.I.N.E.             ~                            .#POLO#
Support Heterogeneity In Networked Environments      ~    ~    ######

1. WANTED: canned edge detection routines/graphics libraries

Hi.  I'm looking for a color edge detection routine (just about any language)
or better yet an image processing graphics library (which contains edge
detection) for an MS DOS machine with VGA/SVGA, a frame grabber board, and
a color video camera.  Any information/suggestions about such software (and/or
hardware recommendations) would be greatly apprectiated.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

A.J. Singh

2. Stumped, eh? (was: Quark.EPS and MacLink

3. gMax - Cans and Cants

4. NewTechniques Jan2000

5. Any canned algorithms for displaying graphs?

6. The POV Addicts Team in the Top 100 WorldWide ! :)))

7. one more elder abysmal potters will grudgingly scold the cans

8. B5 effects question.