Port SGI applications to OpenGL compatible?

Port SGI applications to OpenGL compatible?

Post by Gang Che » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

We are trying to move three SGI GL applications to a RH 5.0 Linux system
with Mesa 2.6. Obviously we are facing a problem with the old-fashion
Irix GL problem. It seems that we have two options:

(1) Change the code to be OpenGL compatible.

I have tried to run toogl to convert the code, but there still are many
functions which toogl can't help except just simply deleting them. So I
have to manually change them (e.g., dopup(), getorigin(), getgdesc(),
winset(), getbutton(), getvaluator(), gexit, prefsize(), etc.) . But I
know nothing about this stuff. Where and how should I start to learn the
trick?

(2) Find a GL emulator which can run on the top of Mesa. I know there are
repGL, ygl, and vogl which might be helpful. Do you think this is a good
idea to run our GL applications instead of changing the code? Which
emulator would you suggest on Linux?

Many thanks,
Gang Chen

Post by Steve Bake » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> We are trying to move three SGI GL applications to a RH 5.0 Linux system
> with Mesa 2.6. Obviously we are facing a problem with the old-fashion
> Irix GL problem. It seems that we have two options:

> (1) Change the code to be OpenGL compatible.
> (2) Find a GL emulator which can run on the top of Mesa.

I'd strongly recommend that you persevere with (1).

IrisGL is obsolete.

--

Steve Baker                (817)619-8776 (Vox/Vox-Mail)
Raytheon Systems Inc.      (817)619-4028 (Fax)

1. Port SGI applications to OpenGL compatible?

[...]

2. HP Scanjet API available?

3. help: port application from Gl to OpenGL

4. PHIGS for PC

5. help: port application from GL to OpenGL

6. 3d clipping of polygons - Fastest Method?

7. C++ Builder compatible library for DOS console applications

8. animation labor cost

9. VIS-5D port to SUN, DEC, HP, IBM and SGI

10. Xview3.0 port to SGI

11. SGI's GL port to SUN

12. Old SGI dogfight game -- port to Windows?

13. OSS SGI OpenInventor port to Windows