Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by Yong-Kwang Go » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 22:50:11



Hi!

I'm a beginner who knows next to nothing about 3D modelling, rendering and
character animation but is willing to learn them.

With the vast array of 3D modelling (OpenGL, Mesa, Direct3D etc), rendering
(raytracing, radiosity etc.) and animation technologies available, I don't
know which one to choose and concentrate on when learning as a beginner --
I've no idea where to start from!

And to make matter worse, there are a million 3D software out there, both
shareware and commercial; it is a difficult choice to make. A couple of the
more prominent ones would be Light Wave, 3D Studio Max, Pov-Ray, BMRT,
Renderman, Maya.

Which software, preferably free, is ideal for beginner to grasp the
fundamental of 3D modelling and rendering. I'm also thinking of upgrading to
a commercial software to do professional modelling, rendering and animation
for computer games later on.

It seems that everyone in the game development industry are sticking to 3D
Studio Max, though I'm not sure whether it's good to just follow the crowd
blindly.

Thanks for any recommendation and advice.

----------
Goh, Yong Kwang
Singapore

 
 
 

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by Rick [Kitty5 » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 01:01:18


I don't suggest you cross post these 'what's the best?' questions to every
3d related group you can find, it may be taken as trolling.

POV-Ray is my poison of choice :)

--
Rick

Kitty5 WebDesign - http://Kitty5.com
Hi-Impact database driven web site design & e-commerce
TEL : +44 (01625) 266358 - FAX : +44 (01625) 611913 - ICQ : 15776037
POV-Ray News & Resources - http://Povray.co.uk

PGP Public Key
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x231E1CEA

 
 
 

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by Rand » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 01:58:31


Hi,

I would definatly go (and I do go) with Blender (www.blender.nl).
Here's why:

Quote:> I'm a beginner who knows next to nothing about 3D modelling, rendering and
> character animation but is willing to learn them.

Blender has an extensive community full of members of all ability
levels who are always willing to help out. Plus there is a large
amount of tutorials available from the basics to the most advanced.

Quote:> Which software, preferably free

Blender is FREE!!!

Quote:>I'm also thinking of upgrading to
> a commercial software to do professional modelling, rendering and animation
> for computer games later on.

Blender's modeller and animation tools are very advanced, especially
for a free program. Also, Blender has the ability to import and export
various formats so it can be used in conjunction with commercial
products (the biggest plus is that Blender can export to programs such
as BMRT so it can take advantage of a high end rendering engine).
Lastly, the newer versions of Blender (2.0+) have an integrated game
engine, so you can design your own games (right now they can only be
played within Blender, but that is soon to be remedied).

I hope this helps,

randy

 
 
 

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by Stephan Ahone » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 02:07:48


Woohoo, there's another Blender *in the group. I guess I can take a
break, then. =)
 
 
 

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by Rick [Kitty5 » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:02:55


Quote:> Blender has an extensive community full of members of all ability
> levels who are always willing to help out. Plus there is a large
> amount of tutorials available from the basics to the most advanced.

in the manual - which aint free....

Quote:> Blender's modeller and animation tools are very advanced, especially
> for a free program.

another way of saying utterly confusing.

If your prepared to buy the manual then Blender can be fun, if not, prepare
to be confused in the extreme and come away wondering if things are ment to
be that way in order to force you to buy the manual....

--
Rick

Kitty5 WebDesign - http://Kitty5.com
Hi-Impact database driven web site design & e-commerce
TEL : +44 (01625) 266358 - FAX : +44 (01625) 611913 - ICQ : 15776037
POV-Ray News & Resources - http://Povray.co.uk

PGP Public Key
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x231E1CEA

 
 
 

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by Bob » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:39:33



Quote:>Woohoo, there's another Blender *in the group. I guess I can take
>a break, then. =)

Where is this pimp? We'll run him out of town on a POVray rendered
rail!!!
:-) <G>

Bob R
POVrookie

 
 
 

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by Florent flure Cu » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:16:33


Quote:> > Blender has an extensive community full of members of all ability
> > levels who are always willing to help out. Plus there is a large
> > amount of tutorials available from the basics to the most advanced.

> in the manual - which aint free....

and all over the net - which is very free .....

Quote:> > Blender's modeller and animation tools are very advanced, especially
> > for a free program.

> another way of saying utterly confusing.

they _are_ very advanced, and the development team always keep on
improving them ...

Quote:> If your prepared to buy the manual then Blender can be fun, if not, prepare
> to be confused in the extreme and come away wondering if things are ment to
> be that way in order to force you to buy the manual....

i never bought the blender manual, i just got all the knowledge i
could gather from the tutorials on the net ... now i can say that i'm
a quite advanced blender user ... unfortunately i'm BAD at modelling,
so you are likely to never see what i've done with it :)))

anyway, it's true that the blender interface is quite hard to learn,
it needs some patience, but once you got "into it", it is amazingly
fast and efficient ... just two tips : 1/ one hand on the mouse, the
other on the keyboard and 2/ always remember the spacebar ... that's
just enough to start ...

oh and btw, i'd like to point out a cool feature of blender : it has
an integrated python scripting engine which lets you write any kind of
script (export/import scripts for example) and you can even write
texture and sequence plugins in C ... so you can do allmost anything
you'd like to do with a commercial package like 3DSMax or Lightwave
... never said that blender rules 3dsmax and lw, but at least it's far
from being a "little software" compared to them ... and the fact that
it is free isn't nothing ...

just give it a try ...

Florent "flure" Cur

 
 
 

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by Rick [Kitty5 » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:23:22


Quote:> >Woohoo, there's another Blender *in the group. I guess I can take
> >a break, then. =)

> Where is this pimp? We'll run him out of town on a POVray rendered
> rail!!!
> :-) <G>

modelled in Rhino no less...

--
Rick

Kitty5 WebDesign - http://www.veryComputer.com/
Hi-Impact database driven web site design & e-commerce
TEL : +44 (01625) 266358 - FAX : +44 (01625) 611913 - ICQ : 15776037
POV-Ray News & Resources - http://www.veryComputer.com/

PGP Public Key
http://www.veryComputer.com/:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x231E1CEA

 
 
 

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by Rick [Kitty5 » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:25:57


Quote:> i never bought the blender manual, i just got all the knowledge i
> could gather from the tutorials on the net ... now i can say that i'm
> a quite advanced blender user ... unfortunately i'm BAD at modelling,
> so you are likely to never see what i've done with it :)))

I am sure that given the right tools your modelling could be worthy of us
amatures at least :P

--
Rick

Kitty5 WebDesign - http://Kitty5.com
Hi-Impact database driven web site design & e-commerce
TEL : +44 (01625) 266358 - FAX : +44 (01625) 611913 - ICQ : 15776037
POV-Ray News & Resources - http://Povray.co.uk

PGP Public Key
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x231E1CEA

 
 
 

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by aka The O » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 20:26:48


Quote:> in the manual - which aint free....

My god it costs $15, and I am sure the info is all over the net anyhow...
come on, $15 has *got* to be worth it!

Quote:> another way of saying utterly confusing.

I'm guessing you don't like Blender all that much...

Quote:> If your prepared to buy the manual then Blender can be fun, if not,
prepare
> to be confused in the extreme and come away wondering if things are ment
to
> be that way in order to force you to buy the manual....

I doubt they based their application design on extorting $15 for the manual
from everyone.  I would imagine the creators actually want to use the app
themselves.  Also the success of the application is going to be based on
it's usability and price-point, of course they have the price-point, free or
a whole and exorbitant $15 hehe for the manual.

It beats paying $3000 or however much maya is these days...

Ox

---
This email has been checked for viruses
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.265 / Virus Database: 137 - Release Date: 18/07/2001

 
 
 

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by Christoffer Gre » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 20:12:22


Hello.
I would definetly recommend blender.

You may find the interface a bit strange
but keep in mind
that it has been an inhouse tool for
a dutch animation studio for 9  years.
They made the interface in such a way
that it would be as fast as possible
to work with.

Allso if you are into renderman
I am currently writing an export script
from blender to renderman.

You can get a preview of it here.
http://green.dyndns.org/tmp/renderman.blend

I recomend that you buy some sort of book
on blender to get you started though.
But it is possible to learn it without it.
I have written a list of the tutorials
you can find about blender here.
http://green.dyndns.org/linksMain.htm

I learned blender back in the days
when there were NO documentation available.
And even then it only took a few days
to grasp the basics.

(ohh. people who are in the blender
community might know me as Green- or rash)

 
 
 

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by Christoffer Gre » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 20:14:22


I aggre.
 
 
 

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by compnerd061 » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 02:51:30


While we're on the suject of Blender and export scripts, I downloaded a
script to export to pov but when I run it I get a 'AttributeError:
bylink' error at the line says

if Blender.bylink:
    usage()

I don't know anything about python, so if someone could tell me what
this means or where I could find a working pov export script


> Hello.
> I would definetly recommend blender.

> You may find the interface a bit strange
> but keep in mind
> that it has been an inhouse tool for
> a dutch animation studio for 9  years.
> They made the interface in such a way
> that it would be as fast as possible
> to work with.

> Allso if you are into renderman
> I am currently writing an export script
> from blender to renderman.

> You can get a preview of it here.
> http://green.dyndns.org/tmp/renderman.blend

> I recomend that you buy some sort of book
> on blender to get you started though.
> But it is possible to learn it without it.
> I have written a list of the tutorials
> you can find about blender here.
> http://green.dyndns.org/linksMain.htm

> I learned blender back in the days
> when there were NO documentation available.
> And even then it only took a few days
> to grasp the basics.

> (ohh. people who are in the blender
> community might know me as Green- or rash)

 
 
 

Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Post by Dera » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 03:48:41


Last time I checked, this was the OpenGL newsgroup =)

Try posting in the Blender forums, there are a ton of people there.


> While we're on the suject of Blender and export scripts, I downloaded a
> script to export to pov but when I run it I get a 'AttributeError:
> bylink' error at the line says

> if Blender.bylink:
>     usage()

> I don't know anything about python, so if someone could tell me what
> this means or where I could find a working pov export script


>> Hello.
>> I would definetly recommend blender.

>> You may find the interface a bit strange
>> but keep in mind
>> that it has been an inhouse tool for
>> a dutch animation studio for 9  years.
>> They made the interface in such a way
>> that it would be as fast as possible
>> to work with.

>> Allso if you are into renderman
>> I am currently writing an export script
>> from blender to renderman.

>> You can get a preview of it here.
>> http://green.dyndns.org/tmp/renderman.blend

>> I recomend that you buy some sort of book
>> on blender to get you started though.
>> But it is possible to learn it without it.
>> I have written a list of the tutorials
>> you can find about blender here.
>> http://green.dyndns.org/linksMain.htm

>> I learned blender back in the days
>> when there were NO documentation available.
>> And even then it only took a few days
>> to grasp the basics.

>> (ohh. people who are in the blender
>> community might know me as Green- or rash)

--
Deraj DeZine
http://derajdezine.tripod.com/
 
 
 

1. Easy-to-Use 3D Modelling, Rendering, Animation Software for Beginner

Hi!

I'm a beginner who knows next to nothing about 3D modelling, rendering and
character animation but is willing to learn them.

With the vast array of 3D modelling (OpenGL, Mesa, Direct3D etc), rendering
(raytracing, radiosity etc.) and animation technologies available, I don't
know which one to choose and concentrate on when learning as a beginner --
I've no idea where to start from!

And to make matter worse, there are a million 3D software out there, both
shareware and commercial; it is a difficult choice to make. A couple of the
more prominent ones would be Light Wave, 3D Studio Max, Pov-Ray, BMRT,
Renderman, Maya.

Which software, preferably free, is ideal for beginner to grasp the
fundamental of 3D modelling and rendering. I'm also thinking of upgrading to
a commercial software to do professional modelling, rendering and animation
for computer games later on.

It seems that everyone in the game development industry are sticking to 3D
Studio Max, though I'm not sure whether it's good to just follow the crowd
blindly.

Thanks for any recommendation and advice.

----------
Goh, Yong Kwang
Singapore

2. Shadow Volumes & Stencil Buffer

3. OpenGL Beginners reference

4. Pls give an advice

5. Looking for 3D modelling software using snap pictures

6. Z-Buffer???

7. High-end 3D modelling and rendering software

8. 3D Modelling & Rendering Software

9. 3D modelling & animation software

10. What software to buy for 3D modelling and animation

11. What Macintosh 3D modelling/animation software to buy ?