PC Magazine Reviews

Post by Eric B » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I thought this might be intersting to some.

"PC Magazine Reviews 6 Leading Graphics Programs"
Adobe Photoshop 5.5, CorelDraw 9 Graphics Suite, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 6.02,
Macromedia Fireworks 3, Satori WebFX 2000, and Ulead PhotoImpact 5. See how
they stack up at:
     http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/stories/reviews/0,6755,2578666,00.html

PC Magazine Reviews

Post by Ronald Vic » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I thought this might be intersting to some.

>"PC Magazine Reviews 6 Leading Graphics Programs"
>Adobe Photoshop 5.5, CorelDraw 9 Graphics Suite, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 6.02,
>Macromedia Fireworks 3, Satori WebFX 2000, and Ulead PhotoImpact 5. See how
>they stack up at:
>     http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/stories/reviews/0,6755,2578666,00.html

Nope, the guy that wrote it wanted an html editor and downplayed PSP
for that reason.  Most of us, the users don't want the program
cluttered with slicers, html creation, etc.

PC Magazine Reviews

Post by Tracy » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

The Users Rating compared to the Editor Rating shows just how useless the
Editor rating is.

Quote:> Nope, the guy that wrote it wanted an html editor and downplayed PSP

Post by David Beard » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>Most of us, the users don't want the program
> cluttered with slicers, html creation, etc.

We might actually get some of that functionality in PSP 7 - the beta has a
mysterious 'web tools' button that isn't functioning yet - can't wait to
find out what it will actually be!

Dave

--

"Razzle Dazzle 'em, and they'll make you a star".

=======David Beards========

PC Magazine Reviews

Post by Jim Kearma » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for posting this. This is as far as I got in the review:

"To test the 17 products in this review, we put each one to work, combining
three images and applying touch-ups along the way. Our goal was to create a
real estate adverti*t with minimal effort. "

I began using PSP last week. Previously, my only computer graphics
experience was using LView Pro to resize and retouch images. Yesterday I
made this "real estate ad":

http://www.veryComputer.com/

I used the Help files a little and read a couple of tutorial sites. This is
one fine program.

My favorite anecdote about magazine reviews is the Motor Trend Car of the
Year award story. When the Chevrolet Citation-X, a hopped-up Citation, came
out, it won that award. Discarded copies of that issue were barely
decomposing in landfills before GM recalled the entire production run
because of a design flaw that caused engine fires.

Reviewers tend to be rather biased and are usually working under tight
deadline pressure. To simplify their task they oversimplify the criteria and
whip something together. A more valid reviewer would have been someone with
years of experience in Photoshop. Give them all those programs and say "Tell
us what you do frequently with Photoshop and how these programs measure up."
Or just publish the user's survey results, which, as everyone agrees, are
far more valid than the reviewer's comments.

JK

Post by Lost Drago » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Nope, the guy that wrote it wanted an html editor and downplayed PSP
>for that reason.  Most of us, the users don't want the program
>cluttered with slicers, html creation, etc.

Actually, a slicer would be *extremely* useful.  It'd also be handy
for making animation strips for games.  I'm disappointed that this
functionality wasn't put into 7.

Guess I'll wait for 8.

  /| .oo__.  A .---.=-           -= Lost Dragon =-          -=.---. U
 {  \| ,-''  L |_O_|==-  -= Forever Dead Forgotten Lie =-  -==|_O_| D
 `,_/'(_)\_  I | | |==- Remembered Souls,  They Cannot Die -==| | | I
<...{_)_)_'' D `---`===--   http://www.lostdragon.com/   --==='---' C

PC Magazine Reviews

Post by Angela M. Cabl » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

It is going to be in 7, they just haven't got that far yet, if you're
beta testing run the help file and search for "web tools".

--
Angela M. Cable
http://www.neocognition.com

PC Magazine Reviews

Post by Andre » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I thought this might be intersting to some.

>"PC Magazine Reviews 6 Leading Graphics Programs"
>Adobe Photoshop 5.5, CorelDraw 9 Graphics Suite, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 6.02,
>Macromedia Fireworks 3, Satori WebFX 2000, and Ulead PhotoImpact 5. See how
>they stack up at:
>     http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/stories/reviews/0,6755,2578666,00.html

Which edition (Month) of PC Magazine are you referring to? And whether
USA or UK Edition?
--
;-)
Andrew

1. PC Magazine review of OpenGL cards for Windows 95 / NT in June 25 edition

The June 25 edition of PC Magazine has a review of several OpenGL cards for
Windows 95 / NT.

--

Software Consultant     www.vianova.com/~vianova
Via Nova                OpenGL, Open Inventor products for Windows 95/NT

2. Graphics with a .rm format

3. PC Magazine Review

4. Marching Cubes

5. PC Magazine review of OpenGL cards for Windows 95 / NT in June 25 edition

6. Please Help with PSP6 Breakdown

7. PC MAGAZINE Reviews Ulead DVD WORKSHOP

8. Bitmap Vectorization

9. Lightwave - Bad review in PC Magazine

10. Review of PI5 in PC Magazine

11. New Reviews at PC-Review

12. New Reviews on PC-Review

13. New Reviews at PC-Review