TRON.. how did they do it?

Post by Raymond E Brunn » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hello!

I was watching tron the other day, and I am still wondering..  did they
use a computer to make those images or are they just animations?  And
did they record that  whole movie in b&w and colorize it?  Also, could
anyone take some snapshots of the lightcycles with a videocapture board?
I have been trying to draw them on paper but it is becoming very
frustrating.  I would like them for my 3-d lightcycles game instead of
little cubes driving around :-). Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

--

TRON.. how did they do it?

Post by Phillip Burge » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I was watching tron the other day, and I am still wondering..  did they
> use a computer to make those images or are they just animations?  And
> did they record that  whole movie in b&w and colorize it?

The live action scenes involving the "programs" were indeed filmed in black
and white.  Each frame was printed onto several large transparencies, which
were then hand-painted to block out different areas, and these were then
backlit and multiply-exposed through different colored filters.

The computer-generated scenes were done by a few different companies,
each using slightly different techniques.  Some of these were also rendered
in multiple monochrome passes through colored filters.

--

TRON.. how did they do it?

Post by Matt Kru » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I was watching tron the other day, and I am still wondering..  did they
> use a computer to make those images or are they just animations?  And
> did they record that  whole movie in b&w and colorize it?  Also, could
> anyone take some snapshots of the lightcycles with a videocapture board?
> I have been trying to draw them on paper but it is becoming very
> frustrating.  I would like them for my 3-d lightcycles game instead of
> little cubes driving around :-). Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

I remember this coming up somewhere a while ago.

TRON doesnt have nearly as much computer animation as you might think.  a
LOT of it is just animation - not generated by computers at all.  i
remember seeing a list of exactly what was computer and what wasnt, but i
forget now.

   The Official Internet Raytracing Competition!  More info and pics here:
                     ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/competition
+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
|  WWW-MK3-PERL-POVRAY-RGVA-CGR-ISCA  |  E-mail me if you have spare money! |

TRON.. how did they do it?

Post by Steven Ok » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Hello!

: I was watching tron the other day, and I am still wondering..  did they
: use a computer to make those images or are they just animations?

John Lassiter spent some time on TRON specifically during his animation
course at SIGGraph last summer. It was really interesting. There is A lot
less graphics in it than you'd think, but what there is is really amazing
for the time period they did it in. They used a lot of color-editing
and process effects for many of the sequences, but the light cycles are
undoubtedly CGI. Since production was done in the late '70s they have
very primitive equipment and software. He showed a couple slides of source
for the Recognizers and it was amazing what they did with the tools they
had at hand.
People complain about having to work in text-based modelers like POV or
Rayshade now, but those are light years ahead of what they had to work with.
The code he showed was a custom scene description language that looked
like a mix of assembly and FORTRAN and ran for pages for each frame.
It gave me a fresh appreciation for the movie and the work that went into
it.

: I have been trying to draw them on paper but it is becoming very
: frustrating.  I would like them for my 3-d lightcycles game instead of
: little cubes driving around :-). Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

Truespace has a really neat model of the lightcycle in their stable of
sample objects. Its done quite faithfully to the original, including
transparency on the*pit area.

----Steve

TRON.. how did they do it?

Post by Robert Bi » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

hi,
i read the posts concerning the question "how was TRON made".  i used to
work for a company in the early 80's who made a color graphics workstation
that (i was told) was used to blueprint the cgi/animated images of the
movie.  in fact, our marketing department used lightcycle scenes as a
demo at conventions such as SIGRAPH and the such.  i was told that our
workstation was used by a company called "MAGI".  they developed a
process/software that they called "synthevision".  this was only second-
hand information though.  does anyone know what the real story concerning
this "blueprinting" thing?

i didn't think that anyone was watching TRON anymore!  glad to see that
there are still a few of us out there.
--

                                                        ----- rob