Answers: Printing Postscript on a non-PS printer

Answers: Printing Postscript on a non-PS printer

Post by Doug Stur » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Here are three ways to to print postscript files to a non-postscript
printers (ink jets).  Using the preview was not considered as an option,
since I use a SUN to generate my postscript.  If anyone has any additions
please email me.

Way 1: Stylescript by GDT softworks (www.gdt.com).  Works on level 2
postscript, but is slow.  It drives all stylewriters and some HP's.  Price
is $100.  However, it has a copy protection scheme where you can only make
3 installs, also they have done 2 upgrades in the past 18 months charging
49 bucks a pop.

Way 2: PowerRIP by Birmy Graphics, Does all the same things as Stylescript
but has better networkablility. Does not drive stylewriters.  One most
check the web site to see what printers are available. (www.birmy.com).

Way 3: Adobe Distiller; Converts postscript to a .pdf acrobat file which
will print on anything.  Works surprisingly well.  Distiller is part of
acrobat pro and also comes on the pagemaker CD

Others:

The version of ghostscipt I found could not print. A program called ViewPS
would not run on my machine.

All of these ways cost money, which really hurts when you consider that for
IBM PEE CEEs and unix systems they use ghostscript as a print driver for
free.

Doug

Doug Sturim
Brown University Electrical Sciences
Box D

Answers: Printing Postscript on a non-PS printer

Post by Richard S Sucga » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi, folks,

doug, you missed a fourth option:

TScript, a PostScript Level 1 emulated RIP from TeleTypesetting of
Boston. It is up to v4, powerpc native, and is networkable. supports just
about any printer by allowing you to convert to resolution dialable TIFF
format.

Not an employee, just a customer. If you are interested, the web site is

http://www.teletype.com

-rich
http://www.io.com/~pantheon

: ----------------------------------------------------------
: Doug Sturim
: Brown University Electrical Sciences
: Box D

1. ISO: Printing postscript files on Non Postscript printers?

I'm In Search of a utility which will allow me to print Postscript files
on non postscript printers.  I've heard of TSCRIPT and Freedom of the
Press.  Does anyone have experience with those utilities?
According to Mac Connection, they've both been discontinued
(I'm still waiting to hear from Teletypsetting and ColorAge to see if that's
true).  I'm mostly interested in printing Illustrator files on bubblejet
B/w printers.
Thanks
--

       U. S. C.  School of Cinema-Television

2. rich edit error

3. Need Help Installing a PS Printer Driver to a non-PS printer

4. Illustrators/Designers....Check this out!

5. PostScript to Non-PS printer

6. upgrade 4.2 messes up PI Explorer?

7. Printing to non-postscript printer

8. Planes. Help!

9. Q: Quark printing on non-postscript printers

10. Printing POSTSCRIPT on non-PS CSW 2400

11. Printing POSTCRIPT graphics to non-PS printer.

12. Postscript Driver for Non-Postscript "Printer"?

13. Further symptoms in non-existent PS background (no one knew answer)