Translator from .DXF or .3DS to Wavefront .OBJ

Translator from .DXF or .3DS to Wavefront .OBJ

Post by G Hu » Wed, 07 Jul 1993 02:32:32

OK, so I need a translator that will convert from either AutoCAD DXF format
or (preferably) 3DStudio 3DS format to Wavefront .OBJ files.
If the translator takes 3DS files that would be better, (assuming it also
includes material assignments etc) but either is fine.

It could either run on an SGi Reality Engine or a crappy old 486 PC.
I'm not fussy. Obviously it would be better on the SGi though. B-)

Thanks for any help.

Oh yes, I know I can get a translator from Wavefront, but they charge you
a fortune for it!

Gary Hunt

    Gary Hunt          Centre for Advanced Studies in Architecture
    +44 225 826475                              University of Bath

Translator from .DXF or .3DS to Wavefront .OBJ

Post by Christophe YV » Wed, 07 Jul 1993 17:10:28

Hi!

I'm looking for an Index maker. I mean a program which automatically creates reductions
of image files (GIF, JPEG, ... doesn't matter) and put them in a single image file.
Thanks a lot.

PS: If I can not find any, I intend to write one myself, but I'm really too busy for the moment!

                                       '''

                                       \-/
/------------------------------------ooO-Ooo---------------\

Translator from .DXF or .3DS to Wavefront .OBJ

Post by Chris Osla » Fri, 09 Jul 1993 00:18:31

Quote:>Hi!

>I'm looking for an Index maker. I mean a program which automatically creates
> reductions
>of image files (GIF, JPEG, ... doesn't matter) and put them in a single image
> file.
>Thanks a lot.

I'm not at the machine on which I have it loaded, but I would be
almost certain that the URT (Utah Raster Toolkit) would allow you
to do this, and certainly handles most useful raster formats.
It might be a matter of writing a small piece of code that used
the routines in the library, but it would be a small piece.

Cheers

Chris Osland
Atlas Video Facility
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK

Post by Simon P. Coop » Fri, 09 Jul 1993 11:11:38

>>Hi!

>>I'm looking for an Index maker. I mean a program which automatically creates
>> reductions
>>of image files (GIF, JPEG, ... doesn't matter) and put them in a single image
>> file.
>>Thanks a lot.

   You might try the "icontact" program.  I use it to make contact sheets of
visualization images.  "icontact" was posted to comp.sources.misc and can be
found in volume 33.

   I spent a little bit of time hacking it to add a title to each page, it
wasn't a clean hack and still haven't sent the changes back to the author.

Simon.

1. Translator from .DXF or .3DS to Wavefront .OBJ

OK, so I need a translator that will convert from either AutoCAD DXF format
or (preferably) 3DStudio 3DS format to Wavefront .OBJ files.
If the translator takes 3DS files that would be better, (assuming it also
includes material assignments etc) but either is fine.

It could either run on an SGi Reality Engine or a crappy old 486 PC.
I'm not fussy. Obviously it would be better on the SGi though. B-)

Thanks for any help.

Oh yes, I know I can get a translator from Wavefront, but they charge you
a fortune for it!

Gary Hunt

    Gary Hunt          Centre for Advanced Studies in Architecture
    +44 225 826475                              University of Bath

2. Hierarchy of objects - how to transform?

3. convertor/translator to 3DS from iv, obj, dxf, or alias wires

4. DX9 and antialiasing

5. Is there a converter for 3ds/dxf to obj (wavefront)

6. Voronoi Diagrams of Polygons

7. URGENT 3ds->.obj 3DStudio to Wavefront/Prisms/DXF

8. Interactive Editor for Hierarchical B-Splines available via FTP

9. wavefront .obj translator

10. 3D DGN -> DXF/OBJ translator needed

11. DXF & WaveFront OBJ File-Formats wanted

12. Wavefront OBJ to DXF, HELP PLEASE!!!!

13. DXF to WaveFront OBJ File Format