Why can't I view my G4 JPEG's under Window 2K/XP

Why can't I view my G4 JPEG's under Window 2K/XP

Post by CloneZe » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 01:56:14

Hi;

I have a CD-ROM created by a friend that has some images on it (JPEG).
 I put it into may workstation (win 2K w/SP3) and my home machine Win
XP Pro and all I can see is the file structure.  However, if I try to
view one of the JPEG files I get an error.  I have tried the images
under all the utilities and PhotoShop v5.0 on windows and nothing
seems to be able to read the image files.

Does Mac OS-X implement some sort of different JPEG standard?  Or does
windows not recognize something it should?  Please explain.  Is there
a fix?  Has anyone else run across this problem?

In Addition, I just tried the CD-ROM under Linux (SuSe 8.2) and I can
view the images just fine.

Please just reply to the newsgroup thread, no email please.

Eric

Why can't I view my G4 JPEG's under Window 2K/XP

Post by King Neptun » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 04:30:35

CloneZero posted on 7/21/03 11:56 AM:

Quote:> Hi;

> I have a CD-ROM created by a friend that has some images on it (JPEG).
> I put it into may workstation (win 2K w/SP3) and my home machine Win
> XP Pro and all I can see is the file structure.  However, if I try to
> view one of the JPEG files I get an error.  I have tried the images
> under all the utilities and PhotoShop v5.0 on windows and nothing
> seems to be able to read the image files.

> Does Mac OS-X implement some sort of different JPEG standard?  Or does
> windows not recognize something it should?  Please explain.  Is there
> a fix?  Has anyone else run across this problem?

> In Addition, I just tried the CD-ROM under Linux (SuSe 8.2) and I can
> view the images just fine.

> Please just reply to the newsgroup thread, no email please.

> Eric

Hi there ; )    aside from the known - "quite well known" - many XP bugs..
perhaps it's simply one of the usual suspects.???

My single most important question would be :
"".. Did you install Apple's Quicktime 6.0 software from their site..""???
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

If you can't open that file after your FREE install
then you should be writing BILL GATES --not STEVE JOBS  ; )

Cheers..
King
Neptune

Post by CloneZe » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 05:36:33

> CloneZero posted on 7/21/03 11:56 AM:

> > Hi;

> > I have a CD-ROM created by a friend that has some images on it (JPEG).
> > I put it into may workstation (win 2K w/SP3) and my home machine Win
> > XP Pro and all I can see is the file structure.  However, if I try to
> > view one of the JPEG files I get an error.  I have tried the images
> > under all the utilities and PhotoShop v5.0 on windows and nothing
> > seems to be able to read the image files.

> > Does Mac OS-X implement some sort of different JPEG standard?  Or does
> > windows not recognize something it should?  Please explain.  Is there
> > a fix?  Has anyone else run across this problem?

> > In Addition, I just tried the CD-ROM under Linux (SuSe 8.2) and I can
> > view the images just fine.

> > Please just reply to the newsgroup thread, no email please.

> > Eric

> Hi there ; )    aside from the known - "quite well known" - many XP bugs..
> perhaps it's simply one of the usual suspects.???

> My single most important question would be :
> "".. Did you install Apple's Quicktime 6.0 software from their site..""???
> http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

> If you can't open that file after your FREE install
> then you should be writing BILL GATES --not STEVE JOBS  ; )

> Cheers..
> King
> Neptune

Hi King Neptune;

Well thanks for the fix, I'll try it!  But I really need to know the
why?  If you know the reasons behind it please enlighten me.  I can't
just install software willy nilly on my system to solve this problem.

Eric

Why can't I view my G4 JPEG's under Window 2K/XP

Post by King Neptun » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:49:18

CloneZero posted on 7/28/03 3:36 PM:

>> CloneZero posted on 7/21/03 11:56 AM:

>>> Hi;

>>> I have a CD-ROM created by a friend that has some images on it (JPEG).
>>> I put it into may workstation (win 2K w/SP3) and my home machine Win
>>> XP Pro and all I can see is the file structure.  However, if I try to
>>> view one of the JPEG files I get an error.  I have tried the images
>>> under all the utilities and PhotoShop v5.0 on windows and nothing
>>> seems to be able to read the image files.

>>> Does Mac OS-X implement some sort of different JPEG standard?  Or does
>>> windows not recognize something it should?  Please explain.  Is there
>>> a fix?  Has anyone else run across this problem?

>>> In Addition, I just tried the CD-ROM under Linux (SuSe 8.2) and I can
>>> view the images just fine.

>>> Please just reply to the newsgroup thread, no email please.

>>> Eric

>> Hi there ; )    aside from the known - "quite well known" - many XP bugs..
>> perhaps it's simply one of the usual suspects.???

>> My single most important question would be :
>> "".. Did you install Apple's Quicktime 6.0 software from their site..""???
>> http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

>> If you can't open that file after your FREE install
>> then you should be writing BILL GATES --not STEVE JOBS  ; )

>> Cheers..
>> King
>> Neptune

> Hi King Neptune;

> Well thanks for the fix, I'll try it!  But I really need to know the
> why?  If you know the reasons behind it please enlighten me.  I can't
> just install software willy nilly on my system to solve this problem.

> Eric

Because dear Eric,, because  ; )
Because QUICKTIME is the largest graphic file parser/converter
on the face of the earth and OFF the earth. QUICKTIME can now
handle something like 200+ types of files and their various CODECs.
(..do you know what a CODEC is.!??!..--DON"T worry about it-trust me)

QUICKTIME???isn't just ANY "willy-nilly or Milli-Vanilli" program.
It's the greatest and most complicated application of all types and kinds.
QUICKTIME??? so that you know?-- is installed NATIVE on EVERY Mac.
And has been given FREE in Windows form for more than a decade.

And to sum it all up, Eric..-- a QUICKTIME??  install
""..is the single most POWERFUL thing that ANYONE/ANY SYSTEM
can do to their computer --BAR NONE.!!.  ..""

That's all quite academic and older than Brittney's Bra.

Let us know how you turn out..which shouldn't take more than 10 mins
as the install from the Apple website is automatic and just that fast.
Ciao Bello,
King
   Neptune

Why can't I view my G4 JPEG's under Window 2K/XP

Post by Peter KER » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:34:40

Quote:> Because QUICKTIME is the largest graphic file parser/converter
> on the face of the earth and OFF the earth. QUICKTIME can now
> handle something like 200+ types of files and their various CODECs.
> (..do you know what a CODEC is.!??!..--DON"T worry about it-trust me)

> QUICKTIME???isn't just ANY "willy-nilly or Milli-Vanilli" program.
> It's the greatest and most complicated application of all types and kinds.
> QUICKTIME??? so that you know?-- is installed NATIVE on EVERY Mac.
> And has been given FREE in Windows form for more than a decade.

> And to sum it all up, Eric..-- a QUICKTIME??  install
> ""..is the single most POWERFUL thing that ANYONE/ANY SYSTEM
> can do to their computer --BAR NONE.!!.  ..""

Yes, QuickTime is indeed the answer to a maiden's prayer, but,

1. it wasn't invented in Redmond, WA, so don't expect any
co-operation from that quarter, and

2. jpegs can exist without quicktime, and there's lots of folks
out there who believe that's the way the world is.

I have a Mac with the latest QuickTime, but I always save my
jpegs in a non-QT format because I don't know where they might end up,
and if I send a QT installer with them I have to pay a royalty to Apple.

QT can be a pain, we have an audio application which defaults to saving
uncompressed aiff files with a QT "codec". Other apps cannot open these
directly, they have to import, massaging the block headers...

Why can't I view my G4 JPEG's under Window 2K/XP

Post by King Neptun » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:21:51

Peter KERR posted on 7/29/03 7:34 PM:

>> Because QUICKTIME is the largest graphic file parser/converter
>> on the face of the earth and OFF the earth. QUICKTIME can now
>> handle something like 200+ types of files and their various CODECs.
>> (..do you know what a CODEC is.!??!..--DON"T worry about it-trust me)

>> QUICKTIME???isn't just ANY "willy-nilly or Milli-Vanilli" program.
>> It's the greatest and most complicated application of all types and kinds.
>> QUICKTIME??? so that you know?-- is installed NATIVE on EVERY Mac.
>> And has been given FREE in Windows form for more than a decade.

>> And to sum it all up, Eric..-- a QUICKTIME??  install
>> ""..is the single most POWERFUL thing that ANYONE/ANY SYSTEM
>> can do to their computer --BAR NONE.!!.  ..""

> Yes, QuickTime is indeed the answer to a maiden's prayer, but,

What kind of childish barb is that supposed to be.?-"maiden's prayer"??
Sounds like *to me just like the rest of this nonsense.

Quote:> 1. it wasn't invented in Redmond, WA, so don't expect any
> co-operation from that quarter, and

What you're referring to about "Redmond,WA" makes no sense
is that supposed to be a joke.??.
Quote:

> 2. jpegs can exist without quicktime, and there's lots of folks
> out there who believe that's the way the world is.

You must not be allowed on the local golfcourse if that's your logic
cause that shows you dunno your ass from a hole in the ground.
Try form of compression devised by Joint Pictures Experts Group.
Quote:

> I have a Mac with the latest QuickTime, but I always save my
> jpegs in a non-QT format because I don't know where they might end up,

The difference between ANY "Mac file" ~vs~ "PeeCee file' is that
a Mac file has a *resource fork* which are of no use to PeeCee's.
A Mac file made "web-ready" is a file that has been "flattened"
meaning the resource fork is removed for xplatform compatibility.
You might jot that down??

Quote:> and if I send a QT installer with them I have to pay a royalty to Apple.

Why???--would anyone make an installer for a JPEG?? - utter nonsense.
But if you're talking about Authoring - then it's off-topic in this thread
as this person only wishes to "open the file/JPEGs- not create installers"

Quote:> QT can be a pain,

Or RATHER - pretty clear it's YOU that can be a real pain too,, HmmM.!??.
Quicktime?? .. is NOT an application/program in itself - it is
ultimate compression engine and codec matrix to every computer in the world.
That alone shows you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:>we have an audio application which defaults to saving
> uncompressed aiff files with a QT "codec". Other apps cannot open these
> directly, they have to import, massaging the block headers...

Well..there you go running insanely off-such blithering nonsense ever heard.
Whatever application is used to save an "uncompressed .aif" is doing so
without error or malfunction - so there is NO CODEC involved whatsoever.
That means your contention is *idiotic*.  yes ; )
What you need to get straight - pickup upon - LEARN???
IS what i just stated above about 'Mac resource forks' & "flattened files".
If anything,that is cause for the problems you're experiencing-not Quicktime

But you don't have to thank me.. always willing to wash a Mac-Newbie.
besides... reading your reply brought some good laughs to my evening ; )

Ciao

Why can't I view my G4 JPEG's under Window 2K/XP

Post by CloneZe » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 05:01:21

Hi King Neptune;

I installed QT and it did not work.  Thank you for your help.  Let's
please set QT aside, since I don't want a solution, I have been able
to recover the JPEG files.  I want more information on the "bug" and
why it occurs.  What is the difference between a JPEG or CD/RW written
by a G4 & a Windows  NT/2K/XP machine?  Why can't the Windows based
system read the files?

I am interested in this bug and would like to know if anyone knows
"why?"

Eric

----------

> [...]

> > uncompressed aiff files with a QT "codec". Other apps cannot open these
> > directly, they have to import, massaging the block headers...
> Well..there you go running insanely off-such blithering nonsense ever heard.
> Whatever application is used to save an "uncompressed .aif" is doing so
> without error or malfunction - so there is NO CODEC involved whatsoever.
> That means your contention is *idiotic*.  yes ; )
> What you need to get straight - pickup upon - LEARN???
> IS what i just stated above about 'Mac resource forks' & "flattened files".
> If anything,that is cause for the problems you're experiencing-not Quicktime

> But you don't have to thank me.. always willing to wash a Mac-Newbie.
> besides... reading your reply brought some good laughs to my evening ; )

> Ciao

Why can't I view my G4 JPEG's under Window 2K/XP

Post by Philip Rona » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 05:09:31

Quote:> Hi King Neptune;

> I installed QT and it did not work.  Thank you for your help.  Let's
> please set QT aside, since I don't want a solution, I have been able
> to recover the JPEG files.  I want more information on the "bug" and
> why it occurs.  What is the difference between a JPEG or CD/RW written
> by a G4 & a Windows  NT/2K/XP machine?  Why can't the Windows based
> system read the files?

> I am interested in this bug and would like to know if anyone knows
> "why?"

> Eric

The two usual problems are:

1. Saving files on the Macintosh with resource forks. These contain
additional information that is not supported by Windows and are liable to
cause problems.

2. Files are saved without filename extensions. Macintosh files are all
saved with 4-byte descriptors called the 'type' and 'creator'. So even if
the name of a JPEG file doesn't end in '.jpg', a Macintosh still knows it's
a JPEG because it is listed in the directory with a type of 'JFIF'

If you want someone to produce cross-platform files on a Macintosh, ask them
to save the files without resource forks (called "Web-ready" in some apps),
and to use a filename that Windows can understand. Ideally this should be up
to 8 characters (no spaces) followed by a dot followed by an appropriate
three-letter extension (".JPG" for JPEG files)

Phil

--
Philip Ronan

Why can't I view my G4 JPEG's under Window 2K/XP

Post by King Neptun » Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:04:29

Philip Ronan posted on 8/7/03 3:09 PM:

>> Hi King Neptune;

>> I installed QT and it did not work.  Thank you for your help.  Let's
>> please set QT aside, since I don't want a solution, I have been able
>> to recover the JPEG files.  I want more information on the "bug" and
>> why it occurs.  What is the difference between a JPEG or CD/RW written
>> by a G4 & a Windows  NT/2K/XP machine?  Why can't the Windows based
>> system read the files?

>> I am interested in this bug and would like to know if anyone knows
>> "why?"

>> Eric

> The two usual problems are:

> 1. Saving files on the Macintosh with resource forks. These contain
> additional information that is not supported by Windows and are liable to
> cause problems.

> 2. Files are saved without filename extensions. Macintosh files are all
> saved with 4-byte descriptors called the 'type' and 'creator'. So even if
> the name of a JPEG file doesn't end in '.jpg', a Macintosh still knows it's
> a JPEG because it is listed in the directory with a type of 'JFIF'

> If you want someone to produce cross-platform files on a Macintosh, ask them
> to save the files without resource forks (called "Web-ready" in some apps),
> and to use a filename that Windows can understand. Ideally this should be up
> to 8 characters (no spaces) followed by a dot followed by an appropriate
> three-letter extension (".JPG" for JPEG files)

> Phil

My God Phil???? ..if this bloke doesn't know
ALL windows/DOS - "always" requires a suffix
then there's no hope for the laddy..ehhHH.!???

And as i stated before directly to the Clone.. "ASK MicroSloth"
it THEIR problem unless he really is just to lame to know about suffix's.

Cheers

Post by David » Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:51:22

> I have a CD-ROM created by a friend that has some images on it
> (JPEG).  I put it into may workstation (win 2K w/SP3) and my home
> machine Win XP Pro and all I can see is the file structure.
> However, if I try to view one of the JPEG files I get an error.  I
> have tried the images under all the utilities and PhotoShop v5.0 on
> windows and nothing seems to be able to read the image files.

Have you copied the files to your hard drive first?  Possibly from
Linux, if necessary.

If it works OK when doing that, then you know the problem is with
Windows and the CD, and not with the JPEG files themselves.

Quote:> In Addition, I just tried the CD-ROM under Linux (SuSe 8.2) and I
> can view the images just fine.

This tells me that there's nothing wrong with the files.

How did your friend burn the CD?  I've heard of some issues with CD's
burned by the Finder having problems with Windows XP.

If you have a copy of Toast, try burning with that - and make sure you
make a hybrid Mac/Windows disc when you do.  This will put an
ISO/Joliet file system (what Windows likes to see) on the disc in
addition to the HFS+ file system that MacOS uses.

-- David

1. Maya 2.5 and Windows 2K's Documents and Settings Folder

    I have a problem.  Maya doesn't like spaces in directories or filenames
and won't render scenes that have spaces in either the source files or any
directories related to that scene.  Windows 2K, by default creates the
folder  C:\Documents and Settings.  This, obviously, has spaces in it.
Maya, after installed creates the projects folder under that directory, ie:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\maya\projects.  Also, Windows 2K
will not let me change the name of the Documents and Settings folder so I'm
kinda stuck.  Even if I move the \maya dir, the application creates a new
folder there everytime it boots up, creating, thus, a mess in my system.

    How can I fix this?  Is there a way to tell Maya or Windows 2K to either
create the maya dir somewhere else, or create a
C:WINNT\Profiles\Administrator\maya dir like NT 4 did?  Thanks very much for
your help.

--

________
Ariel Daz

ICQ: 15196746

2. Trespasser

3. Vue D'Esprit & Windows XP

4. blocking read in TimerCallback stalls...?

5. Renderfarm of G3's and G4's

6. World Weather Database