Definition, explanation needed.

Post by Paul Vanukof » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Ok, what the heck is a NURB anyway? Can someone explain it, or point me
to a site that explains it? Does Pov-Ray support NURBS?

http://www.primenet.com/~vanukoff/

disconnected from foreign server

Post by Ken » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Ok, what the heck is a NURB anyway? Can someone explain it, or point me
> to a site that explains it? Does Pov-Ray support NURBS?

Non Uniform Rational Bsplines.

See also: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~hoff/research/index.html

--
Ken Tyler -  1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

Definition, explanation needed.

Post by Ken » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> : Haven't seen support in PovRay, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's in there
> : somewhere, after all, what isn't?

> Heheheh... really... :)

  Actualy it is not likely that POV-Ray will offer direct support for
NURBS anytime soon. NURBS are well suited for a modelling environment
but when it comes time to raytrace your construction they serve little
purpose. It is just as easy to convert your NURBS surface into simple
triangles which POV-Ray already supports. The only argument that I have
heard that would favor direct support for NURBS in POV-Ray is that the
file sizes for NURBS is smaller than the equivalent triangle bearing
file.

--
Ken Tyler -  1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

Definition, explanation needed.

Post by Paul Vanukof » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

: NURB - Nonuniform, rational B-spline

: Basically, a way of drawing lines based on control points (like CORELDraw).
: For a really nice treatment of the subject material, see THE bible on
: computer graphics (a bit old, but really covers the basics well), "Computer
: Graphics, Principles and Practice", by Foley, van Dam, Feiner, and Hughes,
: Second Edition (have they come out with a third edition?)

Thanks! I'll have to check it out sometime...

Post by Neil Harri » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Ok, what the heck is a NURB anyway? Can someone explain it, or point me
> to a site that explains it? Does Pov-Ray support NURBS?

> --

> http://www.primenet.com/~vanukoff/

> disconnected from foreign server

NURB - Nonuniform, rational B-spline

Basically, a way of drawing lines based on control points (like CORELDraw).
For a really nice treatment of the subject material, see THE bible on
computer graphics (a bit old, but really covers the basics well), "Computer
Graphics, Principles and Practice", by Foley, van Dam, Feiner, and Hughes,
Second Edition (have they come out with a third edition?)

Haven't seen support in PovRay, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's in there
somewhere, after all, what isn't?

-Neil

Definition, explanation needed.

Post by Paul Vanukof » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

: Non Uniform Rational Bsplines.

: See also: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~hoff/research/index.html

Cool ... interesting site ...

Post by Nieminen Juh » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

: NURB - Nonuniform, rational B-spline

  The correct spelling is NURBS, not NURB.
  NURBS is not plural.

Post by forkaz » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>: NURB - Nonuniform, rational B-spline

>  The correct spelling is NURBS, not NURB.
>  NURBS is not plural.

Either is correct, because talking about a single NURB blew up some programmers
brains, they felt like hacking off a letter, and having a NURB curve, and
several NURB curves.  They are in the minority, but I believe that Apple uses
NURB curved in QD3D  (did?).

That is all.
------------------------------
just curious, as always
please remove .spammy.

1. 4D bezier surface - explanation needed

Hi!

I've just been playing around wit hgeomview and I think I understand the
bezier-splines for 2D and 3D. But what is the meaning of the fourth
coordinate in 4D bezier splines? Do I see some kind of 3D section? Does
anyone know a good reference to expain 4D bezier surfaces?

Thx,

  Rudolf

--

2. How do you make text smooth

3. I need explanations on quaternions

4. animation...prob or bug???

5. Explanation of Tubes and cells needed plz.

6. OpenGL Tutorial

7. 4D bezier surface - explanation needed

8. Need a Simple FAQ of Blit methods and explanations

9. 3D algorithm explanation needed

10. Yaw, Pitch, Roll - need basic explanation

11. I need explanations on quaternions

12. Help! Need explanations for the terms