Equipment upgrade, software, etc...

Post by Mura » Thu, 19 May 1994 13:51:03

I am currently looking for ways to utilize the feeble system I'm using.  I have
been using an unregistered version of Neopaint, and the more I play, the more I
want to use other tools, more "serious", namely, I suppose, 3D.  I d/l POV-ray,
and looked through the docs, getting progressively more and more e*d with
all the neato stuff:  texturing, point of view lighting, shading, simple (but
complicated ?) usage.  I was in awe.
Then, I tried using it.  Don't, if you happen to have a 386 PC with only 2Mb
RAM, no math co-processor, and no money.
This led me to the conclusion that I need to upgrade, to at least 8Mb (my
computer will only let me upgrade to 4 or 10, so I'm looking at 4x9 simms).  My
monitor is VGA, which is fine, basically, but even for Neopaint, I can't do
what I want without higher res and more colors in hi-res.
Okay, so I've babbled.  Question:

What IBM-PC compatible equipment should I be looking at, before I go browsing
for stuff that I might be able to steal <g>?

Video:  is Non-interlaced the better choice?
            when looking at the video card, is PCI what to look for?
            are there any main brands I should look for, Diamond Stealth, etc.?
Software:  Is there any software more powerful than Neopaint, software
                     capable of 3D rendering, available for the specs I'm stuck
                     with?
                  I think POV and POVCAD are flexible enough for what I want to

                     do.  I don't want to animate, as I know that I am NOWHERE
                     near the setup that would take.  For high-quality GIF,
PCX, JPG,
                     etc. pictures, for artistic quality, is there anything
else I
                     should look at that isn't $$$$$$$$?

Okay, so maybe I'm being babyish and asking everyone to coddle me, but I was
looking forward to producing something for WIRED's contest, as I do have the
conceptual equipment (though some might disagree <g> ).

Anyone who has anything to contribute in the way of advice will get a free car.
 Or, well, at least a fine rendering of one?  I can do a dandy of one at 4x4
resolution in white.  I'm going to play with my sticks now.

Thanks to anyone ahead of time.

Muraii...................

1. 6.01 upgrade acting like 6.0, stalling etc.

I have recently had the pleasure of reloading PS 6.0 and upgrading to 6.01
(no fault of PS, HD crashed).  It is now acting just like OS 6.0 did with
it's very long delays with most filters and operations. Completely unusable
for most things.  What is up and what can I do about it?

Am running Win 98 on 1 Ghz HP with 512 Mb Ram.
Have 50% Ram allocated to PS
Have deleted prefs several times.

FWIW this problem occured on the initial install as well.  I was able to
delete the prefs and make it go away, this time it's not working.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Gizzi

2. System Recommendations

3. FS Graphics and other Software/Books/etc.

4. How to remove motion blur?

5. Software to analyze motion (trajectories, velocities, etc)

6. Ready, Set, Go (GX)?

7. Need video editing information (software, hardware, etc.)

8. TIFF file format and related manipulation question