combining 2 renders

Post by Thijs Blaa » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Could anyone tell me if it's possible to combine Prman with another
rendering program (BMRT for raytracing). I need this because I wan't to
raytrace some glass objects and render the rest in Prman.

And does anyone know if the following papers are online?

- Cook, Carpenter, and Catmull. "The Reyes Image Rendering Architecture"

- Siggraph '98 Course #11 - Advanced RenderMan: Beyond the Companion

Thanks,
       Thijs Blaas.

combining 2 renders

Post by Colin Doncaste » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

  Sigh...  Have you read the documentation for the latest PRMan?  You've
been able to do this for a year now using the rayserv option.

  C.

--
Colin Doncaster
bEnT Animation, Inc.

"Baby Back, Baby Back, Baby Back RIBS!"

combining 2 renders

Post by Manue » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Could anyone tell me if it's possible to combine Prman with another
> rendering program (BMRT for raytracing). I need this because I wan't to
> raytrace some glass objects and render the rest in Prman.

> - Siggraph '98 Course #11 - Advanced RenderMan: Beyond the Companion

this paper contains the answer to your first question. it is indeed
possible to do BMRT calls from prman shaders (mostly for the 'trace'
function). however, this method is highly inefficient memory wise and is
also quite slow. you will need a small dso and some headers.

having said that, to simulate glass in prman you will probably be better
off using environment maps (i think you will have to write your own shader,
because Mondo only handles reflections, not refractions. but that shouldn't
be too difficult, since Mondo's source is in the rat distribution).

Manu.

combining 2 renders

Post by Stefan Wil » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Could anyone tell me if it's possible to combine Prman with another
> rendering program (BMRT for raytracing). I need this because I wan't to
> raytrace some glass objects and render the rest in Prman.

Have you bothered to read BMRT's documentation ? Search for "rayserver".

Quote:> And does anyone know if the following papers are online?

> - Cook, Carpenter, and Catmull. "The Reyes Image Rendering Architecture"

This is not online. But almost every selfrespecting university with a CS
department will have SIGGRAPH archives (except ours). If you're content
with a brief summary, this should do (by Tom Duff) :

http://x46.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=366380642&CONTEXT=933701310.17631806...

Isn't this one for the FAQ ?

Quote:> - Siggraph '98 Course #11 - Advanced RenderMan: Beyond the Companion

They used to be here :

ftp://ftp.pixar.com/incoming/rmancusp/siggraph/sig92.course21.pdf
ftp://ftp.pixar.com/incoming/rmancusp/siggraph/course11.pdf.gz

Quote:

> Thanks,
>        Thijs Blaas.

Bye

--

Homepage: http://student.ruca.ua.ac.be/~s975034

combining 2 renders

Post by Julian Fo » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: ftp://ftp.pixar.com/incoming/rmancusp/siggraph/sig92.course21.pdf
: ftp://ftp.pixar.com/incoming/rmancusp/siggraph/course11.pdf.gz

They'd still be here, except that there's a disk space problem on the
server. Hopefully this will be fixed today, and I'll put them back.

--

combining 2 renders

Post by Gregory Ecke » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

check out
 8. Using BMRT as a "ray server" for PRMan

 in the BMRT documentation.

    -G

> Could anyone tell me if it's possible to combine Prman with another
> rendering program (BMRT for raytracing). I need this because I wan't to
> raytrace some glass objects and render the rest in Prman.

> And does anyone know if the following papers are online?

> - Cook, Carpenter, and Catmull. "The Reyes Image Rendering Architecture"

> - Siggraph '98 Course #11 - Advanced RenderMan: Beyond the Companion

> Thanks,
>        Thijs Blaas.

1. How to combine volume rendering with POV?

I have a 3D voxel dataset that defines a brain (MRI data, for those who are
curious).  I can do a great volume rendering of this using MacVol [1].  But
I really want to include this in a POV-Ray animation and make a little
video of sectioning through the brain.  Is this possible?  Can POV-Ray do
the volume rendering for me?  Or is there someway to include the output of
a volume renderer into a POV-Ray scene (short of copying and pasting by
hand)?

Many thanks,
-- Joe

[1] http://www.strout.net/macsoft/macvol/

|    Joseph J. Strout           Department of Neuroscience, UCSD   |

2. filleting question?

3. combining 3 rendered avi's?

4. convert from iges to pov

5. Combine Individually Rendered Frames in a Video Flyer Clip??

6. PS 4.01 and Microtek E6 w/ Scanwiz 2.38 HELP!

7. Combining Macintosh macines to render

8. 3D rendering combined with ImageVision

9. Combining pictures.

10. Combining JPG's

11. Combine multiple TIFF files into one?

12. combining images