POV3 DOS Halo Problem...

Post by XGam » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Could somebody help me here before I go crazy.. :-O

Is it me or does anyone else have or has had this problem? Halos don't
render when I run POV-Ray 3.0 (DOS version) to render a scene with halos
in it!! The Windows version renders halos fine, but the DOS
version...AHH!! It doesn't work! I tried everything. Did I miss
something??

In distress,
XGamer

POV3 DOS Halo Problem...

Post by Dieter Bay » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Could somebody help me here before I go crazy.. :-O
>Is it me or does anyone else have or has had this problem? Halos don't
>render when I run POV-Ray 3.0 (DOS version) to render a scene with halos
>in it!! The Windows version renders halos fine, but the DOS
>version...AHH!! It doesn't work! I tried everything. Did I miss
>something??

Do you use the +q9 quality command line switch?

Dieter Bayer
POV-Ray Team

POV3 DOS Halo Problem...

Post by XGam » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

AAHA!!!! That's what the problem was! I was using the +q3 quality switch.
Changed it to +q9 and it works. Thanks a lot!

XGamer

1. Turbulence and Multiple Halos in POV3: A Problem?

        I've discovered a minor problem - not exactly a bug, but possibly a Place
Where A Feature Needs To Be - with POV3's halos.  Unless I've misunderstood
The Fine Manual (which it is) when I Read it (which I did), turbulence is
always calculated after any transformations done on the halo.
    Now, this means (if I understand correctly) that however you transform it,
you are always applying the turbulence function values from around <0,0,0> to
a spherical halo.  This seems to mean that if you try to create two spherical
halos with 1 unit of turbulence and the same color_map, etc, they will
perforce  look the same.   Now, I'm trying to create a torchlit dungeon, and
it's a little strange to have exactly the same flame on each torch!
        This problem doesn't arise with planar or cylindrical halos, as you can
always translate in a different part of the plane or cylinder, which has the
same initial shape but comes from a neighborhood where the turbulence is
different.
        Would it be possible to have (say) an offset<> option for halos, which
offsets the location before looking up turbulence? Then, by slinging in some
random offset, it would be possible to make each copy of an object different.
Another bonus: changing the offset, slowly, would make a nice flame flicker
for the animators.
        Alternatively, if I'm being obtuse, could somebody explain what I ought tobe
doing?   Thanks in advance.

   -Robert Dawson

2. IGNORE----problem posting

3. POV3 DOS faster than POV3 WIN

4. Converting microfiche to cdrom?

5. POV3: Possible bug with multiple halos

6. How to make Small Caps?

7. POV3 sky sphere and halo - help!

8. Adboe, Forbes, and page curl

9. Problem:POV3.1 media vs POV3.0 atmosphere ...

10. DOS pov3?

11. Format of MS-DOS Dr. HALO graphics files

12. pov3 beta win95: render & exit pov3

13. Halo problem