Floating point TIFF support for BMRT?

Floating point TIFF support for BMRT?

Post by Skin » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 14:04:45



Is there anyway of adding support for floating point TIFFs to BMRT? As
there already are "vanilla" and mipped ones it could be a nice extra
option - adding support to mkmip would be nice, but Paul Debevec's
tools are easy to get. Would add some more information for texture()
calls - could sl floats store this OK? I'm guessing they would.

cheers

Simon
Keep all options open

UIN 11123737

 
 
 

Floating point TIFF support for BMRT?

Post by Larry Gri » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:00:00




>Is there anyway of adding support for floating point TIFFs to BMRT?

I don't understand the question.  Are you implying that there's a bug?

BMRT has for years had the ability to create output images that
are floating point TIFF, to read floating point TIFFs as textures,
and to convert floating point TIFFS into floating point MIPmaps for
texture lookups.

It should all just work as-is.

        -- lg

--
Larry Gritz                                     Exluna


 
 
 

Floating point TIFF support for BMRT?

Post by Tim bunke » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:00:00


sorry Larry

another case of opening mouth before brain - ignore what I said

cheers

Simon

----------




>>Is there anyway of adding support for floating point TIFFs to BMRT?

> I don't understand the question.  Are you implying that there's a bug?

> BMRT has for years had the ability to create output images that
> are floating point TIFF, to read floating point TIFFs as textures,
> and to convert floating point TIFFS into floating point MIPmaps for
> texture lookups.

> It should all just work as-is.

>  -- lg

> --
> Larry Gritz                                     Exluna


 
 
 

Floating point TIFF support for BMRT?

Post by Colin Doncaste » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:39:05



> Larry - how do you do this? I've been experimenting with quantise, but
> this only gives integer TIFF's - albeit with more levels - is this
> what you mean?

        Correct me if I am wrong ( as I am not %100 sure ) but

--
Colin Doncaster
Weta Digital Ltd.

"The team is a garden of creativity that requires regular
watering and sunshine in order to build strong roots." - Peter Sellers

 
 
 

Floating point TIFF support for BMRT?

Post by Skin » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:18:38


Larry - how do you do this? I've been experimenting with quantise, but
this only gives integer TIFF's - albeit with more levels - is this
what you mean?

cheers

Simon





>>Is there anyway of adding support for floating point TIFFs to BMRT?

>I don't understand the question.  Are you implying that there's a bug?

>BMRT has for years had the ability to create output images that
>are floating point TIFF, to read floating point TIFFs as textures,
>and to convert floating point TIFFS into floating point MIPmaps for
>texture lookups.

>It should all just work as-is.

>    -- lg

>--
>Larry Gritz                                     Exluna


Keep all options open

UIN 11123737

 
 
 

Floating point TIFF support for BMRT?

Post by Colin Doncaste » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:48:41


* sorry if this shows up as a second copy *


> Larry - how do you do this? I've been experimenting with quantise, but
> this only gives integer TIFF's - albeit with more levels - is this
> what you mean?

--
Colin Doncaster
Weta Digital Ltd.

"The team is a garden of creativity that requires regular
watering and sunshine in order to build strong roots." - Peter Sellers

 
 
 

Floating point TIFF support for BMRT?

Post by lam.. » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:59:24



> I've been experimenting with quantise, but this only gives integer
> TIFF's - albeit with more levels

The spec says, "If one is 0, then quantization is not done and values
are output as floating point numbers."  Try:

    Quantize "rgba" 0 0 0 0

Rick LaMont
Dot C Software, Inc.
http://www.dotcsw.com/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Floating point TIFF support for BMRT?

Post by Skin » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:18:53


thanks Rick I'll try that.

Simon



>> I've been experimenting with quantise, but this only gives integer
>> TIFF's - albeit with more levels

>The spec says, "If one is 0, then quantization is not done and values
>are output as floating point numbers."  Try:

>    Quantize "rgba" 0 0 0 0

>Rick LaMont
>Dot C Software, Inc.
>http://www.dotcsw.com/

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Keep all options open

UIN 11123737