Artist needs help choosing PowerMac

Post by Bandes Dessin » Mon, 26 Sep 1994 05:30:40

Hi - I'm looking to buy myself a PowerMac in the next few weeks, and I'm
trying to figure out what I can/can't afford, so on and so forth.
Ideally, I'd like the fastest possible machine, with the most memory
I can afford.  To my reckoning, that's probably a PowerMac 7100, since
the 8100 is just a whole hell of a lot more money.

This is what I need -

At least 16 megs ram, preferably more
The ability to capture video from my Canon Xapshot still-video camera
The ability to print to my HP LaserJet 3p (with PostScript)
A scanner (I currently have an Epson 600c, but it's parallel, I
expect I'll have to sell it)
2 Megs of VRAM, and the best video card possible

I am on a tight budget, and just can't spend more than $4k, though the
sale of my scanner will probably bring some more money in.

I've heard that there are problems with the NuBus in the 7100 - how serious is
this?  Is this something that can be fixed?  How will these problems affect me?
MY primary applications are graphics, the only NuBus product I can currently
see wanting/needing is some sort of video capture system.

What do I get with an AV card?  Can I add one later?  Is there a third-party
NuBus card that I could add later instead?  As I said, all I really need
from it is video capture, and I could add it later if it would save
me money now - as I use the scanner more frequently than the video camera
right now.  I know about the Apple QuickTake, but I'd really rather not
buy any more hardware than I have to, and I like the Xapshot.

I will also probably want to buy a Wacom ArtZ tablet, as well as Painter 3.0
and Photoshop 3.0.

I would really appreciate suggestions on how to best configure a system,
and how to best stick to my budget.

I currently have a Mitsubishi Diamond Scan 1381AUM 15 inch multisync monitor,
I hope to be able to use it on the mac...

Email is preferred, though I'll do my best to watch these groups.

Many thanks!
BDnee

1. Need help choosing editing software

     I would like to remove the writing/words from some photos that I have. I
would like to know if there is a software program that makes this easy to do. I
know that you can "retouch" photos after scanning them into the computer but
this seems to involve coloring over the words to match the background which
would take forever if the background colors are numerous and subtle. Is there
any quick and easy way to do this? Thank you.

2. Icons in an executable/dll

3. Need help choosing a primary animation app

4. PM5 and Xerox 4520 Probs

5. Need help with choosing visualization hardware/software

6. How to clean background?

7. Need Help Choosing A Language

8. Help! Need to choose 3d software

9. Need HELP choosing PC graphics package

10. Need help choosing colorimeter system (ICM Profiles)

11. need help choosing

12. Need help choosing a primary animation app