Mac performance 601 vs 604?

Post by markintoshforeve » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I am thinking of replacing my 601PPC with a 604PPC, going from 80 to 132mhz.
>  I know Photoshop operations will be sped up with the increase in main
> processor speed.  More importantly I am told is the increase in bus speed
> (from 30 to 45mhz).

> My interest concerns potential speed increases in the following:

> printing operations (large files to Epson Color)
> opening Photo CD images
> saving large files to disk

> I have a feeling only the latter will be improved.

SNIP

PPC benchmark numbers are available from Macuser, including processor
score, Pshop and disk tests. Anything that involves moving and
processing data will be improved by both a faster processor, a faster
system bus, larger caches and faster drives.  I think your first two
operations involve such, and should be improved.

New PPC machines are waaaaaay past 132 Mz, with Apple just releasing 350
Mz machines, and new PPC 750 Arthur chips on the horizon with even more
processor power and bus speeds of 83 Mz or so.  VirtualPC on one of
these boxes should provide you with the ability to run Dos/Win
3.11/Win95/WinNT/OS/2 at very useable speeds if you have the need also.
Don't even bother with a low end 604e unless its a firesale and you're
planning to use it as a layout machine primarily (you can always upgrade
the processor later, heck even a fast 603e with a good size cache is a
better bet IMHO.

I think you'll find it worth the money if you need the power, and of
course the old machine will continue to be productive and make you money
for years and years to come. Heck, we've got old 1987 macs still doing
stuff around the shop, either with accellerators or simply as file
transfer and email machines.

HTH,

Mac performance 601 vs 604?

Post by Bruno Fernande » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I've trimmed the newsgroups line (the original article was posted to far too
many newsgroups - I'm reading and posting to the Photoshop newsgroup - itself a
little off-target)

>New PPC machines are waaaaaay past 132 Mz, with Apple just releasing 350
>Mz machines, and new PPC 750 Arthur chips on the horizon with even more
>processor power and bus speeds of 83 Mz or so.

I think you meant to write "about to release."  I haven't seen any of the new
350MHz parts available in stores yet.  Anyway, I assuming you're speaking of the
603 processor though.  The Arthur chip is pretty nice as well.  Have used them
quite a bit at work.  But they're not that impressive when you know what will be
coming in Mach5.

Quote:>VirtualPC on one of
>these boxes should provide you with the ability to run Dos/Win
>3.11/Win95/WinNT/OS/2 at very useable speeds if you have the need also.

I will admit that I was pretty impressed with the speed of Virtual PC.
Especially so since it comes from the makers of RAM and Speed doubler (blech!)

Quote:>Don't even bother with a low end 604e unless its a firesale and you're
>planning to use it as a layout machine primarily (you can always upgrade
>the processor later, heck even a fast 603e with a good size cache is a
>better bet IMHO.

Through practical testing, even with a nice cache, the a 603 with a much faster
clock is still noticeably slower to a 604e.  It's a lower cost part.  An
inferior part.  Bumping up its clock can only take it so far.  A nice 200MHz+
604e runs a lot smoother in a machine with a capable bus (Tsunami design for
instance).

Quote:>I think you'll find it worth the money if you need the power, and of
>course the old machine will continue to be productive and make you money
>for years and years to come.

That's about the most important factor for many people.  How much is it worth to
you and how much performance do you need?

Quote:>Heck, we've got old 1987 macs still doing
>stuff around the shop, either with accellerators or simply as file
>transfer and email machines.

I know people working full time still using Quadra and Centris machines.

Realistically, I don't think I could use (full time) anything slower than a
really fast 9600, Umax S-900 or PowerComputing PowerTower (250MHz or so).  The
MacOS just begs for a ludicrously fast processor and gobs of RAM.

Just waiting to see our first new Mach5 system with fresh bus design running
Apple's final hack of the NeXT OS.  Of course I'm also looking forward to seeing
Digital's new Alphas... :)

Bruno
--

All unsolicited email containing flames is appropriately filed to trash.
All commercial email is bounced and reported to all appropriate

Mac performance 601 vs 604?

Post by Jaso » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Some unknown individual wrote this

Quote:

>> I am thinking of replacing my 601PPC with a 604PPC, going from 80 to 132mhz.
>>  I know Photoshop operations will be sped up with the increase in main
>> processor speed.  More importantly I am told is the increase in bus speed
>> (from 30 to 45mhz).

>> My interest concerns potential speed increases in the following:

>> printing operations (large files to Epson Color)
>> opening Photo CD images
>> saving large files to disk

>> I have a feeling only the latter will be improved.

I just made a similar upgrade yesterday.  I own a PowerComputing
PowerCurver that originally had a 601/120MHz.  Other World
Computing (OWC) is currently selling PowerComputing 604/150
daughter cards for $99.  Did some testing with MacBench 4.0
before I made the change. Here are the results:

601/120   CPU = 226    FPU = 361   DISK = 189
604/150   CPU = 358    FPU = 419   DISK = 208

I am running system 8.0.  I have 40MB of real memory.  I also
have a 512k cache card installed (also from OWC).  Definetly
worth the $99 dollar upgrade.  Not sure if this card works in
Apple systems, if not they have a 604/132 for $59.

Jason Flores

The email address in the header is not valid due to the ingunity of some spammers.
If you need to get me a message use the address in my signature block

Mac performance 601 vs 604?

Post by Joe Wilso » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00

If you go for a processor upgrade, get one that has a selectable bus
speed, like a MaxPowr 200 or so. At $500 or so they are great deals. I
put a 180mhz (at a boosted 60mhz bus) one in my 7500, and the macbench
score it gave went through the roof. Came in at 486, faster than a
9600/233. Bus speed improves all aspects of performance.

Joe Wilson

Mac performance 601 vs 604?

Post by yourn.. » Sun, 24 Aug 1997 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>If you go for a processor upgrade, get one that has a selectable bus
>speed, like a MaxPowr 200 or so. At $500 or so they are great deals. I
>put a 180mhz (at a boosted 60mhz bus) one in my 7500, and the macbench
>score it gave went through the roof. Came in at 486, faster than a
>9600/233. Bus speed improves all aspects of performance.

>Joe Wilson

Does this include printing large files to a color printer (ie 40mb to an
Epson Color Stylus)?  And any idea about opening Photo CD's?

Thanks!

1. Mac performance 601 vs 604?

[...]

2. glut windows

3. 601 vs. 604

4. Barista Applet missing???

5. speed of PS with 604 vs 601 chip

6. Filling and erazing on transparent background

7. PS4/PS5 transform vs 601 Mac?

8. Equal length cords on bezier or other splines ?

9. MacRenderman performance on PPC 604-based Macintosh

10. 603e vs 604

11. Performance Animation Recorder, Amiga vs PC vs Mac