Matrox Millennium & low resolution modes

Post by George Grusch » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Hi all!
>I'm writing a game in 640x400x64K using Vesa 2.0 (UniVBE driver). The
>problem: Matrox Millennium doesn't seem to support low resolution
>modes (<640x480) and so my nice game can't run with this card. How can
>I solve this problem? Does exist a bios upgrade to fix the problem?

If you're just using the VESA drivers, when the 640x400 call fails,
just put it in 640x480 and ignore the bottom 80 pixels... no real
code change.. 100% hack.. works fine. (I've been coding for the
government for too long.. I think that's an acceptable solution.. :).

You could make small code hacks (or just start 40 rows in instead of
at A0000) to center it on the screen if you want..

-gg

Post by Daniele Trambus » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi all!

I'm writing a game in 640x400x64K using Vesa 2.0 (UniVBE driver). The
problem: Matrox Millennium doesn't seem to support low resolution
modes (<640x480) and so my nice game can't run with this card. How can
I solve this problem? Does exist a bios upgrade to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance!

================

================
Too Young To Die

Post by Nicholas Vin » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: Hi all!

: I'm writing a game in 640x400x64K using Vesa 2.0 (UniVBE driver). The
: problem: Matrox Millennium doesn't seem to support low resolution
: modes (<640x480) and so my nice game can't run with this card. How can
: I solve this problem? Does exist a bios upgrade to fix the problem?

: Thanks in advance!

   Well, keep in mind that not just that card doesn't support
640x400...there are a few (I have one I think) which don't support that
mode. Read the other reply, 640x480 with cinetmatic-type screen deal might
be the best solution. Who knows, you might even be able to get into
640x480 and hack the vertical scan height so it effectively becomes
640x400 :)  Have a look at the source for the 320x400 conversion, go into
640x480 and try out some of the vertical scan commands...of course 320x400
is based on 320x200 so it's not that easy, but I bet it's possible.

   Similar to the problem I had a while ago, my card supports text mode
132x25 but not 132x50...so I just set 132x25 and halved the font height :)

: ================

: ================
: Too Young To Die

       HB
          (you're a coder and you're still alive??)

Post by Benjamin Au » Sun, 03 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Hi all!
>I'm writing a game in 640x400x64K using Vesa 2.0 (UniVBE driver). The
>problem: Matrox Millennium doesn't seem to support low resolution
>modes (<640x480) and so my nice game can't run with this card. How can
>I solve this problem? Does exist a bios upgrade to fix the problem?
>Thanks in advance!

>================

>================
>Too Young To Die

I heard that the card support it, as any other cards, but the on-board
VESA does not support it. What you have to do is get another VESA
driver, like UNIVBE from Scitech Software (www.scitechsoft.com) and
you will have a lot more video modes than with the Matrox VESA driver.

Post by Pauli Vin » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>>Hi all!
>>I'm writing a game in 640x400x64K using Vesa 2.0 (UniVBE driver). The
>>problem: Matrox Millennium doesn't seem to support low resolution
>>modes (<640x480) and so my nice game can't run with this card. How can
>>I solve this problem? Does exist a bios upgrade to fix the problem?
>>Thanks in advance!
>I heard that the card support it, as any other cards, but the on-board
>VESA does not support it. What you have to do is get another VESA
>driver, like UNIVBE from Scitech Software (www.scitechsoft.com) and
>you will have a lot more video modes than with the Matrox VESA driver.

Is this same true with matrox mystigue ???
There are some demos that seems to not work with it because the can not go to
320*200 mode...
kk
--
Pauli Vinni, student of educat. at the /// University of the Joensuu, Finland

Post by Marco Casper » Sat, 09 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >>Hi all!

> >>I'm writing a game in 640x400x64K using Vesa 2.0 (UniVBE driver). The
> >>problem: Matrox Millennium doesn't seem to support low resolution
> >>modes (<640x480) and so my nice game can't run with this card. How can
> >>I solve this problem? Does exist a bios upgrade to fix the problem?

> >>Thanks in advance!

> >I heard that the card support it, as any other cards, but the on-board
> >VESA does not support it. What you have to do is get another VESA
> >driver, like UNIVBE from Scitech Software (www.scitechsoft.com) and
> >you will have a lot more video modes than with the Matrox VESA driver.

> Is this same true with matrox mystigue ???
> There are some demos that seems to not work with it because the can not
go to
> 320*200 mode...
> kk
> --
> Pauli Vinni, student of educat. at the /// University of the Joensuu,
Finland

This is all utter nonsense, yes the VESA modes do not go below 640x400 but
have a
look at the VESA specifications and lo and behold there are no VESA modes
below
640x400 (MODE 0100h).

And about UNIVBE, dump that shitty stuff you don't need it for the Matrox
cause the whole VESA 2.0 stuff is implemented in ROM.
AFAIK Univbe doesn't even know what a Matrox Millenium is anyway, last time
tried (with v5.2 or so) it still did detect an 'oak' chipset.

About the 320x200 mode : RTFM!!!
That's mode 13h standard vga, and that works on the Matrox like a blaze.

About the Matrox Mistyque i don't know, but about what i did read it is a
downgraded Millenium especially designed for playing games.

Grolimo.

Post by Alain Male » Sat, 09 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> This is all utter nonsense, yes the VESA modes do not go below 640x400 but
> have a
> look at the VESA specifications and lo and behold there are no VESA modes
> below
> 640x400 (MODE 0100h).

> And about UNIVBE, dump that shitty stuff you don't need it for the Matrox
> cause the whole VESA 2.0 stuff is implemented in ROM.
> AFAIK Univbe doesn't even know what a Matrox Millenium is anyway, last time
> tried (with v5.2 or so) it still did detect an 'oak' chipset.

> About the 320x200 mode : RTFM!!!
> That's mode 13h standard vga, and that works on the Matrox like a blaze.

Version 5.3 of Univbe knows about the Matrox. It's even possibe to
display 64k
colors in 320x200, (mode 0x10e) sorry...

Alain Malek

Post by Remy Savill » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> This is all utter nonsense, yes the VESA modes do not go below 640x400 but
> have a
> look at the VESA specifications and lo and behold there are no VESA modes
> below
> 640x400 (MODE 0100h).

Thats VESA 1.2 your thinking about.  Try thinking VESA 2.0, which is
what the poster was talking about.  There are modes such as 512x384.

Quote:> About the Matrox Mistyque i don't know, but about what i did read it is a
> downgraded Millenium especially designed for playing games.

It could be a downgraded Millenium, but its more like a refined
Millenium made for games.  Its chip is a generation ahead of the
Millenium and supports a lot more 3D features in hardware.  The reason
its slower is because its got SGRAM ram instead of WRAM.  Personally I'd
rather have a Mystique.

Post by CaptKir » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> > This is all utter nonsense, yes the VESA modes do not go below 640x400 but
> > have a
> > look at the VESA specifications and lo and behold there are no VESA modes
> > below
> > 640x400 (MODE 0100h).

> Thats VESA 1.2 your thinking about.  Try thinking VESA 2.0, which is
> what the poster was talking about.  There are modes such as 512x384.

> > About the Matrox Mistyque i don't know, but about what i did read it is a
> > downgraded Millenium especially designed for playing games.

> It could be a downgraded Millenium, but its more like a refined
> Millenium made for games.  Its chip is a generation ahead of the
> Millenium and supports a lot more 3D features in hardware.  The reason
> its slower is because its got SGRAM ram instead of WRAM.  Personally I'd
> rather have a Mystique.

The best combination is a Matrox Millenium and an Orchid Righteous 3D
used together. The OR3D does 45 million pixels/second whereas the
Mystique does only 25 million pixels/second in its 3d accelleration.

Matrox Millennium & low resolution modes

Post by CaptKir » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> >That's mode 13h standard vga, and that works on the Matrox like a blaze.

Hell ya! I tried quake on a p133 + millenium in 320x200 mode and it played
with awesome speed, fluidity, and power. It was like an arcade machine in
this resolution.

Post by Samuel Charles Vili » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>This is all utter nonsense, yes the VESA modes do not go below 640x400 but
>have a look at the VESA specifications and lo and behold there are no
>VESA modes below 640x400 (MODE 0100h).
>About the 320x200 mode : RTFM!!!
>That's mode 13h standard vga, and that works on the Matrox like a blaze.

What about mode 10Dh, 320x200x15bpp? or 10Eh 320x200x16bpp? or 10Fh
320x200x24bpp?  (defined in VESA 1.2 from memory)
You will also find the resolutions 360x200, 320x240, 360x240, 320x400,
360x400 defined in all colour depths in VESA 2.0+.
--
Quote:>:-P

1. Screen resolution 1280x960 with Matrox Millennium?

Hello everybody!

Has someone ever find a way to use a screen resolution of 1280x960 (side
ratio of 4:3) with a Matrox Millennium under WinNT 4.0 SP3? The driver panel
does not allow to set these values but maybe there is a registry patch or
something else.
I would like to extend my display from the current 1152x864 because my
monitor can manage this (many of the modern 19'' monitors will too). The
next offered resolution of 1280x1024 will distort the images because of the
side ration of 5:4.
I have already tried to contact Matrox Support twice but didn't get an
answer.

Thanks in advance.

Ingo.

2. Fast primitive drawing in GL?

3. heidi driver matrox millennium & win95

4. Graphics File Formats FAQ (Part 2 of 4): Image Conversion and Display Programs

5. heidi driver from matrox millennium & win95

6. transform ?!?!?!?

7. Matrox Millennium and Diamond Monster (3dfx)

8. Bugs in Matrox Millennium

9. Matrox Millennium 3DFX

10. Matrox Millennium II

11. Matrox Millennium for PC in Mac?