Problems w/Netscape & gif/jpeg

Post by Mike . Schneid » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 18:29:06

Situation: I am trying to upload some images to the files section of an
eGroup (see egroups.com) I moderate. I want them to auto-display when
clicked on. I am uploading through egroups' own web interface. I've also
tried uploading images as attachments to messages in either Communicator
or EudoraPro.  I've also attempted to attach graphics to usenet posts to
see if Communicator would automatically display them when the post was
opened.

Image in question (it could be anything): a 400x400 pixel "Yahoo Map"
street-address pic, dragged to the desktop (it saved as a Compuserve GIF).

Problems:

1. Despite the fact that Netscape *should* automatically display GIFs and
JPEGs, only JPEGs uploaded in any of the three methods I describe above
display automatically display. GIFs it attempts to download as files,
regardless of preference settings. The same problem occurs in Navigator
4.08 and Communicator 4.03, 4.6, and 4.75, so I presume it's intrinsic to
uploading GIFs in Netscape.

2. I tried "tricking" Netscape by pasting the GIFs into an HTML document:
Open GIF in JpegView, "cut", then paste into Claris HomePage, save as HTM
file, direct Netscape to "open page" & select HTM file. Image displays,
perfectly. Drag it to desktop, hoping it somehow got magically converted
to a JPEG. It didn't. Hoping the GIF was somehow rendered "kosher", I
uploaded it to egroups. It didn't work.

3. Yielding to fate, I attempted to convert the GIF to a JPEG, but found
that no matter what application I used (Photoshop, GraphicConverter &
other usual suspects) they *increased* the size of the file by a factor of
5. These Yahoo GIFs are 400x400 pixels with only a few colors, and are
usually 15k-40k in size. They're fairly lame to begin with, so I want to
convert them at 100% quality. Doing so creates files of 150K or larger.
They upload nicely enough, but they're too big. Making blurry 50% JPEGs
results in files still two or three times as big -- and that's *after*
zapping thumbnail icons, comments and so forth, and reducing colorsets,
etc.

So here I sit with a bunch of nice & tiny GIF images that I cannot submit
to eGroups in any remotely convenient way.

What are your suggestions?

(Ideally, I'd like a quick-n-dirty application that would convert the GIFs
to JPEGs of the same size, with no "loss", and the same color parameters.
Or even better, a "fix" to the problem of Netscape not uploading GIFs
properly.)

Post by Mike . Schneid » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 07:50:22

> In article

> > What are your suggestions?

>    Well, first off, is there any way people here can accesss where
> those images are? (URL for the egroup in question?) I'd like to take a
> gander.

   Source of GIFs: http://maps.yahoo.com/
   Destination: http://www.egroups.com/files/TC_Boardgamer/Directions/

   I have one uploaded GIF (Yahoo Map for the game store "Mirkwood"). It
does not display automatically on a Mac using Netscape. Try uploading a
Yahoo GIF to the site, and let me know if you have any success.

Mike Schneider, VRWC Sentinel Outpost.  "Autoguns, on-line!"  +--+--+--+

RABBLE, n.  In a republic, those who exercise a supreme authority
tempered by fraudulent elections.  The rabble is like the sacred
Simurgh, of Arabian fable -- omnipotent on condition that it do
nothing.  (The word is Aristocratese, and has no exact equivalent
in our tongue, but means, as nearly as may be, "soaring swine".)
   -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary", cc 1888

Problems w/Netscape & gif/jpeg

Post by Erick Bryce Wo » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 08:14:18

Quote:>   I have one uploaded GIF (Yahoo Map for the game store "Mirkwood"). It
>does not display automatically on a Mac using Netscape. Try uploading a
>Yahoo GIF to the site, and let me know if you have any success.

Have you tried uploading it with a ".gif" extension?  The egroups server
is clearly having trouble recognising it as a GIF file and informs Netscape
it is a raw binary file.  It seems unlikely that it could detect JPEG's with
no extension, but not GIF's, but some things really are just that stupid :).

 -- Erick

Post by Mike . Schneid » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:09:21

> >   I have one uploaded GIF (Yahoo Map for the game store "Mirkwood"). It
> >does not display automatically on a Mac using Netscape. Try uploading a
> >Yahoo GIF to the site, and let me know if you have any success.

> Have you tried uploading it with a ".gif" extension?  The egroups server
> is clearly having trouble recognising it as a GIF file and informs Netscape
> it is a raw binary file.  It seems unlikely that it could detect JPEG's with
> no extension, but not GIF's, but some things really are just that stupid :).

It's not egroups specific, since Netscape will also not display GIFs sent
as attachments to usenet news posts.

Mike Schneider, VRWC Sentinel Outpost.  "Autoguns, on-line!"  +--+--+--+

RABBLE, n.  In a republic, those who exercise a supreme authority
tempered by fraudulent elections.  The rabble is like the sacred
Simurgh, of Arabian fable -- omnipotent on condition that it do
nothing.  (The word is Aristocratese, and has no exact equivalent
in our tongue, but means, as nearly as may be, "soaring swine".)
   -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary", cc 1888

1. GIF, JPEG, and other Netscape Native Formats

I am trying to find some programs which will allow me to "paint" graphics
for my Web site.

Could somebody lead me in the right direction. I am looking mainly for
shareware programs or low cost commercial programs.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc Rohde

2. Ulead Video Studio 6.0 Audio Sync Problem

3. GIF & Netscape Extension Block (looping)

4. Anybody here use a rainbow runner ?

5. Problem with animated gif and Netscape

6. Where is 3ds going?