Medival Castle

Post by Philip Delaque » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:(BENJAMIN A LINDSTROM) writes:
> Also, is there a hollow cylinder primitive in povray since I would like
> to map out the whole castle including towers and such. (I have an idea
> for my homepage that I'm just DYING to try and do. =)

You can tell POV-Ray to omit the endcaps from a cylinder, if you don't
mind the infinitely thin result. Or you can use the CSG difference
between one cylinder and a somewhat thinner, somewhat longer
cylinder.

Philip.

Medival Castle

Post by Robert P. Schmi » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: : (BENJAMIN A LINDSTROM) writes:

: : > Also, is there a hollow cylinder primitive in povray since I would like
: : > to map out the whole castle including towers and such. (I have an idea
: : > for my homepage that I'm just DYING to try and do. =)

: : You can tell POV-Ray to omit the endcaps from a cylinder, if you don't
: : mind the infinitely thin result. Or you can use the CSG difference
: : between one cylinder and a somewhat thinner, somewhat longer
: : cylinder.

: Are there direct povray commands I can look  up for CSG  or do I need
: to find a UNIX (Linux perfered) or Windows CSG software?    Any  good ones?

Look in your DOCS directory. The manual defines how to do CSG's. (It's
very simple, really)

union {
 }

etc,etc

-- Steve

Medival Castle

Post by Yellow Be » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>What would be the best way to build nice arched doorways?

        I was just thinking of that the other day, actually. The kind of
arched doorway I was thinking of would be a 2x4 cube cut-out at the
bottom and a cylinder w/ radius 2 cutout at the top. Just align the
"stones" (i.e. boxes w/ alot of roughness or something) on the sides of
the cube at the bottom part, and then for the circular, arched part at
the top, use derivatives to find out at what angle you need to align
the stones.

                                        Atul

Atul Varma                         http://www.ganet.net/~atulv
"Sentience is a curse; use it cautiously."

Medival Castle

Post by Andrew M. McConne » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: >What would be the best way to build nice arched doorways?
:       I was just thinking of that the other day, actually. The kind of
: arched doorway I was thinking of would be a 2x4 cube cut-out at the
: bottom and a cylinder w/ radius 2 cutout at the top. Just align the
: "stones" (i.e. boxes w/ alot of roughness or something) on the sides of
: the cube at the bottom part, and then for the circular, arched part at
: the top, use derivatives to find out at what angle you need to align
: the stones.

I did something similar not too long ago. I'll post the script if I can
find it. I do remember that the triganometry involved in working out those
angles was not a happy thing. Good luck!

Andy
--

       Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely intentional.
 ->->->->->->->->->-> http://www.catt.ncsu.edu/~squirrel <-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-