(OT) TFT displays

Post by The Ageless On » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 03:11:06

OK, I'm asking this here because I figure there'll be a reasonable number
of people who might just know what they're talking about.

Ye Olde CRT screen is showing early signs of going on the fritz and I'm
considering replacing it with a TFT flat-panel.

What's the verdict? Are they really any better for image display and 3D
work?

regards, Paul

(OT) TFT displays

Post by Larry Gri » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 02:30:19

Quote:>OK, I'm asking this here because I figure there'll be a reasonable number
>of people who might just know what they're talking about.

>Ye Olde CRT screen is showing early signs of going on the fritz and I'm
>considering replacing it with a TFT flat-panel.

>What's the verdict? Are they really any better for image display and 3D
>work?

Ugh, no, TFT is horrible for image display.  TFT displays have
terrible shifts in black level, brightness, gamma, and color
saturation that vary considerably with viewing angle.  CRT's have none
of these problems.  You'd be crazy to make color decisions on a
flat-panel display.

        -- lg

--
Larry Gritz                                     Exluna

(OT) TFT displays

Post by Stephan Ahone » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 03:24:35

I'm with Larry on this one, Flat Panels (or LCDs of any sort) are a no-no
when you work with colors as much as you do in 3D. And they're really,
really expensive, too, especially when you get up into the higher
resolutions. The only reason I can think of that anyone would want one at
all is because they have their heads in the air and think they look cool.
Curse the iMac trend! Curses!!

(OT) TFT displays

Post by The Ageless On » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 10:00:41

> I'm with Larry on this one, Flat Panels (or LCDs of any sort) are a
> no-no when you work with colors as much as you do in 3D. And they're
> really, really expensive, too, especially when you get up into the
> higher resolutions. The only reason I can think of that anyone would
> want one at all is because they have their heads in the air and think
> they look cool. Curse the iMac trend! Curses!!

Crikey! Now that's a response! Cheers for that; all the magazines (well,
the ones you get in stores anyway) are in love with the damned things but
then, I've seen it all before a million times with 'new' hardware. I'd
actually be waiting on some new techs to develop before buying a new
screen (those FP CRT technology based ones should be out in Q1 2001 IIRC)
but even friends who know nothing about computers/TVs can tell it's on
the way out *sigh*

hoping to post something _on_ topic sometime, Paul

1. OT - LCD &TFT monitors for graphics?

I'm not up to date on these new monitor technologies. Google isn't helping
much. Can someone please explain the difference between LCD and TFT
technology? Do both of these types of monitors use the DVI output jack on
video cards? Are either of these flat panel alternatives equal to a good CRT
for graphics editing? THANKS....
--
Steve Hoffmann
http://www.sphoto.com

2. Bryce

3. aplle 15" tft Display

4. he'll be receiving below abysmal Fred until his sauce covers regularly

5. Color difference between Monitor and TFT displays

6. DirectX 7 SDK: Cannot link to d3dx.lib

7. OT: Display Properties problem

8. OT: two displays on Win2k

9. OT: Dual display euphoria!

10. OT: Geforce2MX display probs...help ?

11. OT: Dual display card setup

12. ~OT: high-end flat panel displays