IrisGL problem: IRIX 5.3 --> IRIX 6.2

Post by Michael Zuk » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have a number of interactive graphics applications that were
programmed for IrisGL from 1990 to 1993. I do not have the resources at
present to port them to OpenGL and these programs are still very
useful. One application is in Fortran; all the others in C. They are
currently running on my SGI Indigo^2 running IRIX 5.3. I had no
problems in going from IRIX 4.something to IRIX 5.0. However, I cannot
find the appropriate libraries for linking when I compile in IRIX 6.2.
The 5.3 binaries DO NOT RUN on 6.2

I use: -lgl_s -lm -lfm_s
under 5.3 without problems. Using 6.2, I get error messages that gl_s
and fm_s do not exist. I cannot find equivalent libraries.

Please note that I am not a professional programmer although I have
some programming skills. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Zuker -------------------------------
Institute for Biomedical Computing --------- ,__o
Washington University in St. Louis -------  -\_<,

http://www.ibc.wustl.edu/~zuker/.cgi -------------

Post by Reuel Nas » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I have a number of interactive graphics applications that were
> programmed for IrisGL from 1990 to 1993. I do not have the resources at
> present to port them to OpenGL and these programs are still very
> useful. One application is in Fortran; all the others in C. They are
> currently running on my SGI Indigo^2 running IRIX 5.3. I had no
> problems in going from IRIX 4.something to IRIX 5.0. However, I cannot
> find the appropriate libraries for linking when I compile in IRIX 6.2.
> The 5.3 binaries DO NOT RUN on 6.2

> I use: -lgl_s -lm -lfm_s
> under 5.3 without problems. Using 6.2, I get error messages that gl_s
> and fm_s do not exist. I cannot find equivalent libraries.

The _s versions of the libraries are called "static shared libraries"
and are obsolete as of the 6.x releases.

Change them to "-lgl -lm -lfm" and recompile the whole program.

--

Reuel Nash

Post by Joe Gre » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>I use: -lgl_s -lm -lfm_s
>under 5.3 without problems. Using 6.2, I get error messages that gl_s
>and fm_s do not exist. I cannot find equivalent libraries.

use -lgl -lm -lfm

--

Silicon Graphics, Inc.

Post by Ben Cheatha » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I have a number of interactive graphics applications that were
> programmed for IrisGL from 1990 to 1993. I do not have the resources at
> present to port them to OpenGL and these programs are still very
> useful. One application is in Fortran; all the others in C. They are
> currently running on my SGI Indigo^2 running IRIX 5.3. I had no
> problems in going from IRIX 4.something to IRIX 5.0. However, I cannot
> find the appropriate libraries for linking when I compile in IRIX 6.2.
> The 5.3 binaries DO NOT RUN on 6.2

Reuel, and Joe correctly point out which compile options to use
(i.e. -lgl -lm -lfm)

The reason the "5.3" binaries (were they really built on 5.3?) do
not run on 6.2 is most likely because they are "coff"
executables, instead of "ELF" format.

Say your program is called foo, are you getting an error similar to:

    Cannot execute binary file
    foo - Exec format error

To find out what type of format your binary is, use file:
    file foo

and you'll get something like below...

foo: MIPSEB COFF executable (paged) not stripped - version 2.10
foo: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic executable (not stripped) MIPS - version 1

If your binary is COFF, then compiling your app on 6.2 is the
correct thing to do.  But, that 6.2 binary will probably only
work on the 6.2 machines you have.  In otherwords, 5.3 is not
forwards compatible with 6.2 (so you cannot run a 6.2 binary
on 5.3), but 6.2 is backwords compatible with 5.3 (and older)
ELF binaries (so if your binary was in ELF format it should
work on 6.2, if not please let us know).

So, keep using the old version on the 5.3 machines, and use
the new version on 6.2 and future OS/machines.

Hope this helps,
--Ben

Ben Cheatham - Advanced Graphics Division, Silicon Graphics

1. PA speed on IRIX 5.3 vs 6.2

Hi there folks

I'm using PA 7.5.1 on an Indigo2 XZ running IRIX 5.3. I'm amazed at how
slow Alias is at rendering, compared to other apps... I was wondering if
updating to IRIX 6.2 would show any significant speed increases.

Any data on this subject would be appreciated

Big Bird

2. Conversion from a bitmap to an icon

3. AW performance boost from IRIX 5.3 to 6.2???

4. How the hell HSD work???

5. Problem porting X application from IRIX 5.3 to IRIX 6.4

6. QuicktimeVR requirements?

7. GZIP & GUNZIP under IRIX 5.3 and IRIX 6.2

8. wglUseFontBitmaps and GetGlyphOutline

9. POV Compilation problem under Irix 6.2

10. Irix 5.3 DISPLAY Problem

11. ? Problems with g++ IRIX 6.2 and linking libGL*

12. problem building GLUT on IRIX 6.2