QXP and PS Fonts Under NT 3.51?

Post by Alan Be » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I have been using Quark and PhotoShop on a Pentium 90 with an extensive
library of PostScript fonts. Eventually my work goes to a service bureau
for output on film.

Now we have a Pentium 200 dual boot running NT 3.51 and WFW 3.11. I
understand that PS fonts won't run under NT. What do most people do? I
have been told that I can install PS fonts under NT and it converts
them to True Type. Are there rounding errors in this process that affect
H&J? Might I do a layout with the converted fonts then find it wraps
differently at the service bureau because of these converted fonts?

Or are DTP pros who work under NT re-purchasing their font libraries in
True Type?

QXP and PS Fonts Under NT 3.51?

Post by Aandi Inst » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I have been using Quark and PhotoShop on a Pentium 90 with an extensive
>library of PostScript fonts. Eventually my work goes to a service bureau
>for output on film.

>Now we have a Pentium 200 dual boot running NT 3.51 and WFW 3.11. I
>understand that PS fonts won't run under NT. What do most people do? I
>have been told that I can install PS fonts under NT and it converts
>them to True Type. Are there rounding errors in this process that affect
>H&J? Might I do a layout with the converted fonts then find it wraps
>differently at the service bureau because of these converted fonts?
>Or are DTP pros who work under NT re-purchasing their font libraries in
>True Type?

This is theory from my point of view, but I think it should work like
this.

When you install PS fonts in NT, using the Fonts Control Panel, you
can convert them to TrueType for screen display AND preserve them for
printing to a PS printer.

If Quark is well behaved, it will use the sizes of the printer fonts
in placing text, not the screen fonts. There are differences between
screen and printer metrics even for unconverted fonts, so this is
common practice.

Visit http://www.veryComputer.com/,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small * animals. And stuff.

QXP and PS Fonts Under NT 3.51?

Post by Aandi Inst » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I have been using Quark and PhotoShop on a Pentium 90 with an extensive
>library of PostScript fonts. Eventually my work goes to a service bureau
>for output on film.

>Now we have a Pentium 200 dual boot running NT 3.51 and WFW 3.11. I
>understand that PS fonts won't run under NT. What do most people do? I
>have been told that I can install PS fonts under NT and it converts
>them to True Type. Are there rounding errors in this process that affect
>H&J? Might I do a layout with the converted fonts then find it wraps
>differently at the service bureau because of these converted fonts?
>Or are DTP pros who work under NT re-purchasing their font libraries in
>True Type?

This is theory from my point of view, but I think it should work like
this.

When you install PS fonts in NT, using the Fonts Control Panel, you
can convert them to TrueType for screen display AND preserve them for
printing to a PS printer.

If Quark is well behaved, it will use the sizes of the printer fonts
in placing text, not the screen fonts. There are differences between
screen and printer metrics even for unconverted fonts, so this is
common practice.

Visit http://www.veryComputer.com/,
PSAlter, psalters, tea, and small * animals. And stuff.

QXP and PS Fonts Under NT 3.51?

Post by Richard Bethel » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have been using Quark and PhotoShop on a Pentium 90 with an extensive
> library of PostScript fonts. Eventually my work goes to a service bureau
> for output on film.

> Now we have a Pentium 200 dual boot running NT 3.51 and WFW 3.11. I
> understand that PS fonts won't run under NT. What do most people do? I
> have been told that I can install PS fonts under NT and it converts
> them to True Type. Are there rounding errors in this process that affect
> H&J? Might I do a layout with the converted fonts then find it wraps
> differently at the service bureau because of these converted fonts?

> Or are DTP pros who work under NT re-purchasing their font libraries in
> True Type?

NT doesn't just convert the fonts (although it does do that). What it does,
if you select all the options to do so,  is essentially generate a TrueType
font for the purposes of screen display and non-PS printers, but retains
the .PFB files so that when you print to a PostScript printer, a proper
Type 1 font is downloaded. This is essentially what Adobe Type Manager
does, although, with a bit more sophistication. SOme font foundries don't
allow this, but Adobe permits this in their license with you for their type
library.
Incidentally, Adobe will be releasing a Windows NT version of Adobe Type
Manager before year's end. You will have to upgrade to NT 4.0 to use it
though, as because of extensive changes to the Windows NT display system,
Adobe Type Manager for NT will not be backwards compatible.

--

you'll assimilate me, happiness is irrelevant." Barney of Borg
* visit my PostScript page at http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~cj434 *