Quark -> EDS (Embroidery) Query

Post by Joshua E. Rafofs » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am working on a project, to get a company logo (designed in Quark, by my
ad company) custom embroidered on a baseball hat.

Turns out there's a store in a local mall that will do it for me... and
will save me money by using my already-designed-logo on disk.  The only
catch is the guy needs the graphic to be in "EDS" format, to work with his
system.  "EDS" stands for Embroidery Design System.

Anyone familiar with this format?  Can Quark save files in this format?
Is there a way to translate the file over?  I did not design the logo, and
don't use Quark myself.  But if I can simplify this for my ad agency (or
the hat guy) by being prepared and having some answers, this might be
worthwile.  I'd like to be able to give this guy a Mac disk and a PC disk,
both with the logo in EDS format, so he has no excuses.

Any clues?  Please e-mail me, as I'd like to do this soon.  Thanks in advance.
Josh Rafofsky

1. Quark-->EPS-->Quark?

  >   >  . . . the not-quite-as-quick or elegant solution would be with
  >   > taking screen captures of the page, reassembling them in Photoshop
and
  >   > converting them to CMYK--or in this case grayscale.

  > Thanx for this. I never thought of doing a screen grab but I guess it
should work since
  > I only need 170 dpi on the reduced grayscale  image. I'm never too sure
what dimensions
  > screen grabs are: are they the actual size of the selection area in
pixels... ie the bigger
  > the monitor, the more data you can grab? Presumably there is nothing to
be gained by
  > increasing the resolution above 72 dpi of the image which is being
grabbed? -- unless
  > that's the only way to get it to fit onto the screen...

  > I guess I would end up with an image about 12 inches high at 72dpi on my
  > 20in monitor which should give me a  reasonable size end image at 170
dpi.
  >This job isn't being out put on an imagesetter but if it were, and if I
increased the reolution
  > of the final image by reducing its dimensions still further, would it
print OK?

150 dpi at 100% is usually enough for laser printing. If you feel you need
greater resolution, you can always increase your view percentage and tile the
captures back in Photoshop. One thing in PS that you can't easily do with a
Quark EPS is punch up the grayscale contrast

One hint about screen captures is that they always seem to be a bit sharper
when in bitmap alignment. That means viewing, capturing and placing in the
document in sizes such as 192, 96, 48, 72, 24, 36, etc. percent. (As opposed
to 200, 100, 50. 75, 25, etc.).

- Al Sherer, TRoU BBS, Chicago area

2. Get FREE graphics 4 your homepage FREE!!!!!!!

3. Has Maya2.5 gone gold yet?

4. Quark: Tiling Printout Query

5. POVRAY for WindowsNT?

6. Quick Quark Query

7. going from a PC to MAC - my opinions.

8. Quark->EPS->JPG on the web quality problems

9. Illust->Quark->prn Fiery NOT!

11. Quark, Quark, Quark...

12. IRIS GL -> GLX queries