SCANNING Question: How to Achieve a Hi-res Low-res scan

SCANNING Question: How to Achieve a Hi-res Low-res scan

Post by Bruce Spainhow » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>    When I began scanning I noticed by comparison that the Nikon was not
>even close, the Kodak CD blew the Nikon out of the water, and Kodak's
>imaging is not even up to most peoples par, but I've heard raves about the
>Nikon, in the photography industry even.  I then tried scanning at
>progressively higher resolutions to a full res 28.8 MB file at 2700dpi and
>noticed something even more disturbing, that even though I had this 28.8MB
>file with all this extra information in it and zoomed all the way out
>(theoretically at it's sharpest) it still didn't even come close to the
>low-res Kodak scan at the same sizes, I'm wondering if I'm doing something
>wrong as far as a method to improve the image with software before saving
>it as it's final file type or is it a problem specific to these types of
>scanners, I can't help but want to believe that Nikon would produce a
>scanner of better quality than my on screen comparison, someone pleez help
>me.....
>                                                        JOHN

The problem you're likely having with the Nikon Coolscan is that the focus
control is *way* too sensitive.  I've used one for years and found that the
first thing you need to do it ditch their little "focus gauge" control.
Instead use the direct focus method where you're actually looking at a section
of the original as it is being scanned (by pressing one of the control keys
when clicking on the Focus button - it depends on the software version you
have.)  The second thing is that the final correction on the focus wheel will
be incredibly tiny - about the thickness of the index line on the wheel.  When
you hit it, you'll easily see the grain on the film - even with Kodachrome or
the new V-tec films.

Focusing these things is sort of a black art - my biggest gripe with the
product.  But when you hit it, you'll have a scan that's as good as a Photo-CD
of the same resolution.

 - Bruce Spainhower
   Focal Point Systems

1. SCANNING Question: How to Achieve a Hi-res Low-res scan

***** Please reply to Newsgroups and Myself as I check mail more often than
Newsgroups *****
 I'm having a problem with scanning some images in to a machine for a home
page, I had a company scan some 35mm slides on to a CD (using Kodak PhotoCD
initially to acquire the scans) and stored thousands of low res 5" X
7"(32-56 K MAC jpg.) files.  I now have the need to scan my own so I went
out and bought a Nikon Super Coolscan (with the autoloader) and proceeded
to make my own scans (I should tell you that my level of experience with
scanners is probably Advanced beginner).
[...]

2. New 3d Studio Site - For Development of Center

3. Transparent Background

4. Creating Stunning Digital Portrait and Glamour Shots, E-Book

5. 24 bit SVGA programing info

6. Iris printing and Hi res scan on net

7. Hi Res scans?

8. Hi res scans