HELP: NAPLPS supported terminal on workstations

Post by Richard S. Shufor » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > I am developing a simple program to get NAPLPS data from
> > workstations. I realize that there are protocols handshaked
> > between a NAPLPS server and a client terminal. I do not need to
> > draw pictures.but want to get down load data only. Please give me info
> > on what kind of commands are passed between them. I downed
> > a naplps.zip doc file from the internet, but it did not help me.

>Your best bet might be to get a VT240 manual.

Alas, the DEC VT240 terminal has *nothing* to do with NAPLPS.  You
must be thinking of the ReGIS protocol, which the VT240 does support.

It is not clear to me exactly what Mr. Jihun Park is trying to do.
The only reason I know, why one would want to use NAPLPS (the North
American Presentation-Level-Protocol Syntax), would be to draw
pictures of some type.

(Did you ever take a network class in which the instructor drew the
7-layer tower of the OSI Reference Model?  NAPLPS is supposed to fit
at layer 6, just below the "application" layer.)

Quote:> > between a NAPLPS server and a client terminal. I do not need to
> >                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > draw pictures.but want to get down load data only. Please give me info

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you just want to transfer data between machines, without looking
at it on a screen, you do not need to have any NAPLPS implementation.
Maybe Kermit is what is needed?  Have a look at:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/

A very small amount of information on the protocols mentioned may be
found at:

    http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal_index.html

 ...RSS

1. Query re: x11perf data for X terminals and workstations

I'm looking for any x11perf performance numbers for X terminals and
workstations that I can get my hands on.  Particularly high performance
servers from the more well known vendors (DEC, TEK, HP, IBM, etc).  I'm
looking for real numbers for servers running via shared memory, unix sockets,
tcp/ip, decnet, ethernet, FDDI, ULTRA, etc...

Does anyone have x11perf numbers that they can send to me (I have some
numbers that I would gladly send in trade).  Also, is there any definitive
source where one can get/send new numbers?  Should there be?

I would prefer responses by mail if possible.
--

         One Monarch Drive              phone:   (508) 486-4841
         Littleton, MA 01460

2. plugins

3. GNUPLOT:Terminal type png ....not supported in version 3.7.1

4. Avi in DirectX

5. No supported terminal under MS Windows!

6. Can you import Pagemaker files into PS?

7. terminal gif vs terminal png

8. Hang-glider physics (maybe off topic)

9. NT workstation together with Irix workstation.....

10. Help: struggling with an X terminal

11. Help on using Tektronix 4107 terminals

12. Help - Increasing LineWidth with GIF Terminal

13. Help with pslatex terminal