Inconsistent Print Quality: PSP problem maybe?

Inconsistent Print Quality: PSP problem maybe?

Post by Robin Bec » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:43:35

Problem: Duplicate copies of the same image, printed one immediately after
the other, are dissimilar.

Situation: PSP 7.04 under Windows 2000 Pro on a twin-processor PC with 512MB
ram and 65GB Hard disk space over three drives. No other applications
running. Canon S800 (not set as default printer) using oem inks and Canon
Photo Paper Pro, and using the latest driver v1.52

what I see on my monitor is almost exactly what I get in print, after
allowing for out-of-gamut colour shifts.

But having printed a single image (resized at 200ppi to A6 dimensions,
approx. 6" x 4") satisfactorily, and with the source image (but no other)
still on-screen, repeating the print command with no change to the printer
or any other settings produces a significantly darker image!

The only way around this, after several miss-prints, was to close down and
re-start PSP, re-open the image, and re-load the  printer profile I had
saved for this paper type and size.

For this familiar with the printer, having specified that I'm using Photo
Paper Pro, the only change to the standard Canon profile for this paper was
the definition of the A6 paper size.

The resulting print invariably matched the (excellent) first copy after this
process. However it is going to be tedious in the extreme to have to do this
repeatedly once I start receiving orders from family and other guests for
further copies of our wedding photos.

Questions:

1. Has any one else come across this problem?
2. Do you think the problem might be with PSP, with Win2K, or with the Canon
printer driver? Instinctively I feel that it is a resources issue, hence the
effectiveness of closing down and re-starting PSP, but other views would
help.
3 Do you have any ideas as to a solution or a work-around?

Regards & Thanks

Robin

Post by Bob Diet » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:20:49

> Problem: Duplicate copies of the same image, printed one immediately after
> the other, are dissimilar.

> Situation: PSP 7.04 under Windows 2000 Pro on a twin-processor PC with 512MB
> ram and 65GB Hard disk space over three drives. No other applications
> running. Canon S800 (not set as default printer) using oem inks and Canon
> Photo Paper Pro, and using the latest driver v1.52

> what I see on my monitor is almost exactly what I get in print, after
> allowing for out-of-gamut colour shifts.

> But having printed a single image (resized at 200ppi to A6 dimensions,
> approx. 6" x 4") satisfactorily, and with the source image (but no other)
> still on-screen, repeating the print command with no change to the printer
> or any other settings produces a significantly darker image!

> The only way around this, after several miss-prints, was to close down and
> re-start PSP, re-open the image, and re-load the  printer profile I had
> saved for this paper type and size.

What exactly do you mean by 'and re-load the printer profile?'
Are you talking about the icm color profile(s) associated with the printer?
Or are you talking about saving a combination of print dialog settings
for reuse?

What happens if you simply load a different printer profile and then
reload the correct printer profile with out shutting down PSP or
closing the image?

If that doesn't do any good, what happens if you open the Printers
folder; right click on the Canon S800 and make it the default printer?

Quote:> For this familiar with the printer, having specified that I'm using Photo
> Paper Pro, the only change to the standard Canon profile for this paper was
> the definition of the A6 paper size.

> The resulting print invariably matched the (excellent) first copy after this
> process. However it is going to be tedious in the extreme to have to do this
> repeatedly once I start receiving orders from family and other guests for
> further copies of our wedding photos.

> Questions:

> 1. Has any one else come across this problem?
> 2. Do you think the problem might be with PSP, with Win2K, or with the Canon
> printer driver? Instinctively I feel that it is a resources issue, hence the
> effectiveness of closing down and re-starting PSP, but other views would
> help.
> 3 Do you have any ideas as to a solution or a work-around?

> Regards & Thanks

My shot in the dark guess would be the print driver is bad.
Have you tried the latest driver off Canon's web site?

Bob

Inconsistent Print Quality: PSP problem maybe?

Post by JoAn » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 02:03:15

Quote:> Problem: Duplicate copies of the same image, printed one immediately after
> the other, are dissimilar.

> Situation: PSP 7.04 under Windows 2000 Pro on a twin-processor PC with
512MB
> ram and 65GB Hard disk space over three drives. No other applications
> running. Canon S800 (not set as default printer) using oem inks and Canon
> Photo Paper Pro, and using the latest driver v1.52

> what I see on my monitor is almost exactly what I get in print, after
> allowing for out-of-gamut colour shifts.

> But having printed a single image (resized at 200ppi to A6 dimensions,
> approx. 6" x 4") satisfactorily, and with the source image (but no other)
> still on-screen, repeating the print command with no change to the printer
> or any other settings produces a significantly darker image!

> The only way around this, after several miss-prints, was to close down and
> re-start PSP, re-open the image, and re-load the  printer profile I had
> saved for this paper type and size.

> For this familiar with the printer, having specified that I'm using Photo
> Paper Pro, the only change to the standard Canon profile for this paper
was
> the definition of the A6 paper size.

> The resulting print invariably matched the (excellent) first copy after
this
> process. However it is going to be tedious in the extreme to have to do
this
> repeatedly once I start receiving orders from family and other guests for
> further copies of our wedding photos.

> Questions:

> 1. Has any one else come across this problem?
> 2. Do you think the problem might be with PSP, with Win2K, or with the
Canon
> printer driver? Instinctively I feel that it is a resources issue, hence
the
> effectiveness of closing down and re-starting PSP, but other views would
> help.
> 3 Do you have any ideas as to a solution or a work-around?

Robin...

Have you tried visiting the "Page Setup" dialog first?  If you make your
choices there, then hit the "Printer" button in that same dialog box to make
any printer changes, PSP should remember your settings for ALL subsequent
prints.  At least that's the way it works for me, even if I load another
photo...those settings are remembered until I change them.

--
Jo
=============================

Post by JoAn » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 04:51:29

Quote:> Problem: Duplicate copies of the same image, printed one immediately after
> the other, are dissimilar.

> Situation: PSP 7.04 under Windows 2000 Pro on a twin-processor PC with
512MB
> ram and 65GB Hard disk space over three drives. No other applications
> running. Canon S800 (not set as default printer) using oem inks and Canon
> Photo Paper Pro, and using the latest driver v1.52

> what I see on my monitor is almost exactly what I get in print, after
> allowing for out-of-gamut colour shifts.

> But having printed a single image (resized at 200ppi to A6 dimensions,
> approx. 6" x 4") satisfactorily, and with the source image (but no other)
> still on-screen, repeating the print command with no change to the printer
> or any other settings produces a significantly darker image!

Just curious, what happens if you choose to print more than one (1) copy of
the image in the print dialog?  Do you still get a darker second image?  Or
does this only happen when you repeat the print command, from within PSP, to
get that second print?

I have a Canon BJC6000, but it uses a different driver than your S800.
Never saw a difference using either method for multiple prints tho.

--
Jo
=============================

Post by Robin Bec » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 03:04:39

> > Problem: Duplicate copies of the same image, printed one immediately
after
> > the other, are dissimilar.

> > Situation: PSP 7.04 under Windows 2000 Pro on a twin-processor PC with
512MB
> > ram and 65GB Hard disk space over three drives. No other applications
> > running. Canon S800 (not set as default printer) using oem inks and
Canon
> > Photo Paper Pro, and using the latest driver v1.52

> > what I see on my monitor is almost exactly what I get in print, after
> > allowing for out-of-gamut colour shifts.

> > But having printed a single image (resized at 200ppi to A6 dimensions,
> > approx. 6" x 4") satisfactorily, and with the source image (but no
other)
> > still on-screen, repeating the print command with no change to the
printer
> > or any other settings produces a significantly darker image!

> > The only way around this, after several miss-prints, was to close down
and
> > re-start PSP, re-open the image, and re-load the  printer profile I had
> > saved for this paper type and size.

> What exactly do you mean by 'and re-load the printer profile?'
> Are you talking about the icm color profile(s) associated with the
printer?
> Or are you talking about saving a combination of print dialog settings
> for reuse?

No not ICM; the Canon allows you to define a "profile" of settings including
paper type and size, colour adjustments if any, and so on. When starting the
printer for the first time in an application, it default to plain paper,
draft etc, hence the need to reload the saved profile, as you mentioned
correctly above.

Quote:> What happens if you simply load a different printer profile and then
> reload the correct printer profile with out shutting down PSP or
> closing the image?

Good point, I'll try this as a way of pin-pointig the source of the problem,
thanks.

Quote:

> If that doesn't do any good, what happens if you open the Printers
> folder; right click on the Canon S800 and make it the default printer?

Yes, but that would not explain why the two print jobs in sequence were
dissimilar, with the first one always correct - its the second shot that's
causing the problem.

Quote:

> > For this familiar with the printer, having specified that I'm using
Photo
> > Paper Pro, the only change to the standard Canon profile for this paper
was
> > the definition of the A6 paper size.

> > The resulting print invariably matched the (excellent) first copy after
this
> > process. However it is going to be tedious in the extreme to have to do
this
> > repeatedly once I start receiving orders from family and other guests
for
> > further copies of our wedding photos.

> > Questions:

> > 1. Has any one else come across this problem?
> > 2. Do you think the problem might be with PSP, with Win2K, or with the
Canon
> > printer driver? Instinctively I feel that it is a resources issue, hence
the
> > effectiveness of closing down and re-starting PSP, but other views would
> > help.
> > 3 Do you have any ideas as to a solution or a work-around?

> > Regards & Thanks

> My shot in the dark guess would be the print driver is bad.
> Have you tried the latest driver off Canon's web site?

Yes the driver I'm using is the latest.

Quote:

> Bob

Many thanks for your input, Bob, much appreciated

Robin.

Post by Bob Diet » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:17:08

>>If that doesn't do any good, what happens if you open the Printers
>>folder; right click on the Canon S800 and make it the default printer?

> Yes, but that would not explain why the two print jobs in sequence were
> dissimilar, with the first one always correct - its the second shot that's
> causing the problem.

I'd don't think it will make any difference. But experience has taught me to
poke and prod at every corner of a problem like this.

Bob

Post by Jim » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:44:05

>> Problem: Duplicate copies of the same image, printed one immediately after
>> the other, are dissimilar.

>> Situation: PSP 7.04 under Windows 2000 Pro on a twin-processor PC with
>512MB
>> ram and 65GB Hard disk space over three drives. No other applications
>> running. Canon S800 (not set as default printer) using oem inks and Canon
>> Photo Paper Pro, and using the latest driver v1.52

>> what I see on my monitor is almost exactly what I get in print, after
>> allowing for out-of-gamut colour shifts.

>> But having printed a single image (resized at 200ppi to A6 dimensions,
>> approx. 6" x 4") satisfactorily, and with the source image (but no other)
>> still on-screen, repeating the print command with no change to the printer
>> or any other settings produces a significantly darker image!

I first saw this problem when I upgraded V6.0 to V6.02. I reported it
to tech support in June 2000 with tracking number Subject: Re: PSP
6.02 Print multiple [TSR2000062000000172219840]. No solution was
found. I continue to have the same trouble even after a new computer,
new operating system, PSP V7.04AE and three printers. Current hardware
is Dell P3 866 WinMe Epson Photo 750, Epson color 880, and previously
a Canon BJC-4300. As well as the multiple copies problem, I laid out
two instances of the same image in Print multiple images to print at
3x5" and the image nearest to the print head home position printed
correctly while the parallel image was dark. The only solution I've
found is to NOT use the saved print settings and use automatic
settings. Not a good solution, but gives uniform results. I have a
copy of PS 5.5 I use for printing (only) and will love to get rid of
it when PSP works the way I think it should or I find a mistake I'm
making.

Quote:>Just curious, what happens if you choose to print more than one (1) copy of
>the image in the print dialog?  Do you still get a darker second image?  Or
>does this only happen when you repeat the print command, from within PSP, to
>get that second print?

>I have a Canon BJC6000, but it uses a different driver than your S800.
>Never saw a difference using either method for multiple prints tho.

--
Regards
Jim
Remove NOT for e-mail

Post by Robin Bec » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:33:35

> > Problem: Duplicate copies of the same image, printed one immediately
after
> > the other, are dissimilar.

> > Situation: PSP 7.04 under Windows 2000 Pro on a twin-processor PC with
> 512MB
> > ram and 65GB Hard disk space over three drives. No other applications
> > running. Canon S800 (not set as default printer) using oem inks and
Canon
> > Photo Paper Pro, and using the latest driver v1.52

> > what I see on my monitor is almost exactly what I get in print, after
> > allowing for out-of-gamut colour shifts.

> > But having printed a single image (resized at 200ppi to A6 dimensions,
> > approx. 6" x 4") satisfactorily, and with the source image (but no
other)
> > still on-screen, repeating the print command with no change to the
printer
> > or any other settings produces a significantly darker image!

> > The only way around this, after several miss-prints, was to close down
and
> > re-start PSP, re-open the image, and re-load the  printer profile I had
> > saved for this paper type and size.

> > For this familiar with the printer, having specified that I'm using
Photo
> > Paper Pro, the only change to the standard Canon profile for this paper
> was
> > the definition of the A6 paper size.

> > The resulting print invariably matched the (excellent) first copy after
> this
> > process. However it is going to be tedious in the extreme to have to do
> this
> > repeatedly once I start receiving orders from family and other guests
for
> > further copies of our wedding photos.

> > Questions:

> > 1. Has any one else come across this problem?
> > 2. Do you think the problem might be with PSP, with Win2K, or with the
> Canon
> > printer driver? Instinctively I feel that it is a resources issue, hence
> the
> > effectiveness of closing down and re-starting PSP, but other views would
> > help.
> > 3 Do you have any ideas as to a solution or a work-around?

> Robin...

> Have you tried visiting the "Page Setup" dialog first?  If you make your
> choices there, then hit the "Printer" button in that same dialog box to
make
> any printer changes, PSP should remember your settings for ALL subsequent
> prints.  At least that's the way it works for me, even if I load another
> photo...those settings are remembered until I change them.

> --
> Jo

Reply:

Yes that's the way it happens with me, and there is no change in the
settings.

What I omitted to mention in my original post was that I had previously been
doing all sorts of retouching and image editing, and although by this time I
would have closed down all other images, my suspicions are with PSP's
willingness to release all the resources it had previously been using.

Many thanks for your input,

Robin

Post by Robin Bec » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:36:24

> > Problem: Duplicate copies of the same image, printed one immediately
after
> > the other, are dissimilar.

> > Situation: PSP 7.04 under Windows 2000 Pro on a twin-processor PC with
> 512MB
> > ram and 65GB Hard disk space over three drives. No other applications
> > running. Canon S800 (not set as default printer) using oem inks and
Canon
> > Photo Paper Pro, and using the latest driver v1.52

> > what I see on my monitor is almost exactly what I get in print, after
> > allowing for out-of-gamut colour shifts.

> > But having printed a single image (resized at 200ppi to A6 dimensions,
> > approx. 6" x 4") satisfactorily, and with the source image (but no
other)
> > still on-screen, repeating the print command with no change to the
printer
> > or any other settings produces a significantly darker image!

> Just curious, what happens if you choose to print more than one (1) copy
of
> the image in the print dialog?  Do you still get a darker second image?
Or
> does this only happen when you repeat the print command, from within PSP,
> get that second print?

> I have a Canon BJC6000, but it uses a different driver than your S800.
> Never saw a difference using either method for multiple prints tho.

> --
> Jo

Reply: Good point, Jo, but the very reason I choose single prints at the
moment is that I am not convinced that I can get consistent results and
would hate to waste even more (expensive) paper. In any case I have since
observed that other images also print darker than I would expect, even when
printing only a single copy, given that on my monitor they appear to be as
bright as others that have printed correctly.

What I am going to do for now is to close down PSP after any extensive
editing session, and then re-open it for printing. Admittedly I do have
fairly high preference settings for saving steps etc per open image, but in
theory at
least, these apply only "per open image" (and I only ever edit one image at
a time) and should therefore be released once each is closed.

However if I am correct there may be a problem with PSP's "flushing" action
and it is not relinquishing all the resources it should upon closing an
image.

I shall be doing some more printing soon, and will report back.

BTW I had replied to your previous post, but I inadvertently replied to you
personally instead of to the newsgroup; hence I've added my earlier reply
above.

Many thanks

Robin

1. PSP 7.0 - High Quality Color Printing Problem

Good Morning:

This may be a printer/hardware/paper problem and, if so, please feel
free to direct me to another news group (with my apololgies)

I use PSP 7.0 with my Canon S800 Bubblejet printer.  I also use very
high quality paper for some of my "artwork" using JASC's "Virtual
Painter" plug in.

Just recently I have had some difficulty with some "flaking off" of
some ink after it has dried.

Do I need to back off the quality of the print and/or go to a more
porous paper?

Thanks -

Edward Speed

BTW - the JASC "Virtual Painter" is terrific.  I am having so much fun
with it.  Easy to use. Great output.  Very user friendly for a rank
amateur like me.

2. how to make bumpmap texture ..

3. Please help me to avoid inconsistent printing of lines

4. JOB-OFFERED: 3D real-time programmer wanted

5. Low quality images -> High quality color printing

6. Sound

7. Re(2): HP 855C Print Quality Problems

8. 3D Graphic Format Files (DXF, DWG,...)

9. HP 855C Print Quality Problems

10. Re(2): HP 855C Print Quality Problems

11. Problems with printing quality

12. Maybe OT PSP 3.12