Error: Soft Shadows using 3DSMAX -> Maxman -> RenderMan. W2K 3DSMAX 3.1 MaxMan 1.31

Error: Soft Shadows using 3DSMAX -> Maxman -> RenderMan. W2K 3DSMAX 3.1 MaxMan 1.31

Post by <Bite size> » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 02:03:33

Using the help found here
http://www.animallogic.com/products/MaxMan/onlinedocs/Tutorials/SoftS....
html
I tried to create a softshadow scene.

But the renderer seems to hang on 97% of the computation of the shadow map
of one of the non displayed lights.

Any suggestions.

This runs using:
3DSMAX 3.1
MaxMan 1.31
RenderMan ??
Windows 2000 professional

the tutorial scene is added.

Error: Soft Shadows using 3DSMAX -> Maxman -> RenderMan. W2K 3DSMAX 3.1 MaxMan 1.31

Post by Cassiano Rabe » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 04:04:54

I see what you mean. It does indeed take a bit longer at exactly 97%,
but, at least on my machine, it gets past it after a little while.
Maybe your shadow map is just too big.
I took the liberty of attaching a sample file with my scene setup.
Hope that helps,
BTW I'm running the same as you, but on WinNT 4.0 SP5

Quote:>Using the help found here
>http://www.animallogic.com/products/MaxMan/onlinedocs/Tutorials/SoftS....
>html
>I tried to create a softshadow scene.

>But the renderer seems to hang on 97% of the computation of the shadow map
>of one of the non displayed lights.

>Any suggestions.

>This runs using:
>3DSMAX 3.1
>MaxMan 1.31
>RenderMan ??
>Windows 2000 professional

>the tutorial scene is added.

Error: Soft Shadows using 3DSMAX -> Maxman -> RenderMan. W2K 3DSMAX 3.1 MaxMan 1.31

Post by Cassiano Rabe » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 04:12:45

Opss, I forgot that it isn't allowed attatchments here. send me a
e-mail if you would like the scene I was talking about.
Merry Christmas to you :)
Cassiano

>I see what you mean. It does indeed take a bit longer at exactly 97%,
>but, at least on my machine, it gets past it after a little while.
>Maybe your shadow map is just too big.
>I took the liberty of attaching a sample file with my scene setup.
>Hope that helps,
>BTW I'm running the same as you, but on WinNT 4.0 SP5

1. 3dsmax->targa->Premiere->avi?

Hey

I read in a post here earlier (sorry, I don't recall whose or when it
was) that MAX's (v1.2 - still saving up for r2) avi output is less
than stellar.  The person recommended outputting the renderings to
targas, and then putting them all together with Premiere.  No problem
except that I only have about a gig free on my drives right now and in
order to keep all of those targas, I have them zipped and on a
seperate server.  So I can only do so many at a time - I just got
Premiere (v4.2) and am really not that familiar with it yet - can I
make several avi's (say 12 or so) and then later combine them all
together to make one - it seems easily feasible (I can do it on a
Media 100 - but those are school computers an are harder to get time
on than my own - of course), but perhaps I'm not looking in the right
places under the documentation...

Anyone want to tell me if I'm way off base here?  Or is the avi output
of MAX really not that bad (this isn't for broadcast or anything, just
a 2 min video that I am doing for an independant art project here).

thanks,

Eric Smith '99

(I check e-mail more frequently than I do the newsgroups simply due to
time constraints)

(remove the spam for e-mail)

2. C_bend 1.2 Question

3. <font color="blue"><B>3DSMAX</B></font> 3.1 HERE !!!!!!!

4. Hot! Hot! Hot! Graphic Design!

6. Want to make video games?

7. 3DS max 3.1 >> 3DS max 4.2

8. GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP's and strange holes

9. another way of explaining this>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

10. How do I spline model in 3dsmax 3.1?

11. Operating Systems >>>>>>>>>>>>>

12. Please help! 3DSMax 3.1, Vertices, MaxScript

13. Where is 3dsmax 3.1 crack?