POV-Ray image mapped onto sphere colors washed out

POV-Ray image mapped onto sphere colors washed out

Post by Bill Davi » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:57:08

I have an image containing some pumpkin orange colors that I'm trying
to map onto a sphere using image_map.   Problem is the resulting color
more resembles yellow than the original orange.  Increasing the red
portion of the lighting makes it a little more like orange but
degrades other parts of the image.  Any suggestions what might cause
this, or how to correct it appreciated.

Post by Warp » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:27:41

> I have an image containing some pumpkin orange colors that I'm trying
> to map onto a sphere using image_map.   Problem is the resulting color
> more resembles yellow than the original orange.  Increasing the red
> portion of the lighting makes it a little more like orange but
> degrades other parts of the image.  Any suggestions what might cause
> this, or how to correct it appreciated.

  Try adding this to the beginning of your scene:

global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 }

Post by Bill Davi » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:14:25

>> I have an image containing some pumpkin orange colors that I'm trying
>> to map onto a sphere using image_map.   Problem is the resulting color
>> more resembles yellow than the original orange.  Increasing the red
>> portion of the lighting makes it a little more like orange but
>> degrades other parts of the image.  Any suggestions what might cause
>> this, or how to correct it appreciated.

>  Try adding this to the beginning of your scene:

>global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 }

This was already there..., however you got me thinking in the right
direction.  Adding, then tweaking display_gamma corrected the problem.
Thanks.

1. Planet maps to map onto a sphere in POV-Ray

A long time ago I found a site that had maps of most of the planets
and moons in the Solar System, for mapping onto a sphere. Now, I
cannot find that page! Does anyone know of such a place?

Specifically, I need very high resolution (the higher the better, this
is for a commercial product :) maps of the Earth, both (Or either, I'm
not too picky at this stage) real-color (Greens, browns, and blues)
and the kind you'd see on a globe or Mercator map (Light blue oceans
and multicolored countries)

Thanks in advance.

--Wesley Clifford
Sweeping generalizations always have exceptions, even this one.

2. need your ATI rage 128 problems ....

3. Satelite Images Mapped onto a Sphere.

4. Trouble with Canvas->Pen->Width

5. Looking for an image of the earth to map onto a sphere

6. Who knows LW[6]Mac ETA?

7. POV: Image maps onto individual triangles of a mesh

8. mapping onto a sphere

9. Need help projecting Mercator maps onto Spheres in PovRay3

10. Mapping a texture onto a sphere

11. mapping 3D heightfield onto the sphere