Making a Gif 'transparent'?

Post by Nigel Malle » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a small gif that I made using Photoshop (an older version), it is
in fact a logo, and I want to make the background transparent... I mean
that if I place it in another picture its background is the background of
the existing picture...

Any body tell me how to do this (I am not aregular Photoshop user)

Regards, Nigel

--

Making a Gif 'transparent'?

Post by Joe Wilso » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have a small gif that I made using Photoshop (an older version), it is
> in fact a logo, and I want to make the background transparent... I mean
> that if I place it in another picture its background is the background of
> the existing picture...

> Any body tell me how to do this (I am not aregular Photoshop user)

> Regards, Nigel

> --

Instead of saving the file as a gif, under the file menu, there is an
export command, that will allow you to set the colors as transparent.
Hint: shift click on additional colors if you want them transparent too.

Joe Wilson
--
THINK DIFFERENT !!!!!!!!!!

I am the typical Macintosh User, if you can call any Mac user typical.

To reply, delete the "no" <--spam catcher

Making a Gif 'transparent'?

Post by Jon McK » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > I have a small gif that I made using Photoshop (an older version), it is
> > in fact a logo, and I want to make the background transparent... I mean
> > that if I place it in another picture its background is the background of
> > the existing picture...

> > Any body tell me how to do this (I am not aregular Photoshop user)

> > Regards, Nigel

> > --

Quote:> Instead of saving the file as a gif, under the file menu, there is an
> export command, that will allow you to set the colors as transparent.
> Hint: shift click on additional colors if you want them transparent too.

You could also download a shareware program called Transparency.  It is a
small, nice little program that allows you to choose a color to be
transparent.  With Transparency you have to save the file as a gif file
from photoshop (change the mode to index color, then choose save a copy
from the file menu, making sure you choose the compuserve gif option.).
It only allows you to choose one color to be transparent though.

Jon McKee

Making a Gif 'transparent'?

Post by Dave Ho » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have a small gif that I made using Photoshop (an older version) and I

want to make the background transparent...

Quote:

> Any body tell me how to do this (I am not aregular Photoshop user)

You'll need a plug-in that will convert your GIF format from 87 to 89a.
Standard 89a allows you to alpha-mask an area, or colour-mask a colour
specified by you, so that backgrounds show through whenever that colour
pixel in your GIF appears.

Try looking for Boxtop's PhotoGIF. This should do the trick.

Hope this helps,

-dave^h.

"... And then everyone thinks they've been  'chucked in at the Deep
End'. I'm beginning to think there is NO 'shallow end'.  Experience
isn't a swimming pool - It's a Well. There's only one end, and it's
*y Deep."                                  - Me, pissed in '94.

1. Transparent GIF's/JPG's

I've just started to write HTML and now I'm about to make a homepage.
I don't know so much, but somewhere, somehow,  I read something about
a program that could convert gif's and jpg's so that the backround
colour became transparent. I would be very thankfull if anybody could
give me the URL to this program so I can download it, acording to what
I remember, the program was shareware/freeware.

/?rjan

2. Free 3D Clothing Software

3. GIF plug-ins/transparent GIF's

4. TShape help

5. Shockflash: How import TRANSPARENT gif's ?

6. Could someone check this small .max file please

7. Saving transparent GIF's in Fractal Design Painter

8. Virtual Painter

9. Transparent GIF's in Picture Publisher?

10. Transparent GIF's

11. Q: Program for Transparent GIF's?

12. transparent gif's

13. Transparent GIF's?