What are the PI graphics upgrade options?

What are the PI graphics upgrade options?

Post by Daniel F. Johnst » Fri, 01 Oct 1993 21:13:53

I want to add a another year of life to my PI 4D/25 (an
entry level 8-Bit graphics machine).  I am trying to run
code which uses Iris-GL, including features like RGBmode
and Zbuffer enabled.  I thought that adding a (used?)
graphics option would get me what I wanted.

The local sales office listed 5 options;

Full Color      - I guess this to be 24 bit color only

Entry Plus

Super Graphics

Turbo Graphics

Elan Graphics

The Elan graphics I know means "everything and expensive" and
it is probably not available for the 4D/25.  I think that
TurboGraphics is what I'm looking for, but your clarification
would be helpful.  Thanks

BTW Any additional comments on the impact of Irix 5.x on
a 4D/25GT (with 32 meg memory)??

--
      ___|__    |
      /  |  \   ||\      Daniel (Dan) Johnston

    _____|____  ||  \    National Research Council of Canada
    |    |    | ||   \   Institute for Advanced Manufacturing Technology
\___|    |    | ||____\  Tel: (613) 993-6627   Fax: (613) 998-2771
 \_o_\___|____|_|______\_
  \                o /    These opinions are my own! Not those of NRC.
   \________________/

 More Tall Ships - Fewer Computers!

Post by Michael Schulm » Sat, 02 Oct 1993 01:45:45

|> I want to add a another year of life to my PI 4D/25 (an
|> entry level 8-Bit graphics machine).  I am trying to run
|> code which uses Iris-GL, including features like RGBmode
|> and Zbuffer enabled.  I thought that adding a (used?)
|> graphics option would get me what I wanted.
|>
|> The local sales office listed 5 options;
|>
|> Full Color        - I guess this to be 24 bit color only
|>
|> Entry Plus
|>
|> Super Graphics
|>
|> Turbo Graphics
|>
|> Elan Graphics
|>
|> The Elan graphics I know means "everything and expensive" and
|> it is probably not available for the 4D/25.  I think that
|> TurboGraphics is what I'm looking for, but your clarification
|> would be helpful.  Thanks
|>
|> BTW Any additional comments on the impact of Irix 5.x on
|> a 4D/25GT (with 32 meg memory)??

you want to get the Super Graphics option and then the Turbo grahics option.

If I remember, the Super will get you the 24 bits + hardware Z and the Turbo
speeds things up alot.  I dont think the Elan was ever released on the
4D/25.

Your machine would then be a 4D/25 TG   ( not a GT which referred to the
higher performance Professional Series machines.

--

Michael Schulman
Manager, Technical Marketing

Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94039
415-390-3308

Post by Dave Ols » Sat, 02 Oct 1993 07:55:10

| I want to add a another year of life to my PI 4D/25 (an
| entry level 8-Bit graphics machine).  I am trying to run
| code which uses Iris-GL, including features like RGBmode
| and Zbuffer enabled.  I thought that adding a (used?)
| graphics option would get me what I wanted.
|
| The local sales office listed 5 options;
|
| Full Color    - I guess this to be 24 bit color only
| Entry Plus
| Super Graphics
| Turbo Graphics
| Elan Graphics
|
| The Elan graphics I know means "everything and expensive" and
| it is probably not available for the 4D/25.  I think that
| TurboGraphics is what I'm looking for, but your clarification
| would be helpful.  Thanks

Supergraphics would work fine (first time I've heard it called that).
Turbographics has better 3D performance.  Both are 24 bit plus Zbuffer
Elan definitely won't work on that hardware.

| BTW Any additional comments on the impact of Irix 5.x on
| a 4D/25GT (with 32 meg memory)??

It should be OK, depending on what you do.  If you are already running
close to having all of of ram used all the time, or are already paging
substantially, then  you'll need more memory, which isn't officially
available, so you'll need to get it from 3rd parties.  The system will
handle up to 64 MB max.
--

The most beautiful things in the world are              |   Dave Olson
those from which all excess weight has been             |   Silicon Graphics