NewbQ: Rotating image 90 degrees changes shape

NewbQ: Rotating image 90 degrees changes shape

Post by sunli » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Newbie Q. not in the FAQ, nor archived at DejaNews...

When I have a have a rectangular image and rotate it 90 degrees, it
turns it to a square... haven't found a workaround.  I would have
thought that the image itself would be defined in terms of the number
of pixels or something and that rotating it would have no effect on
shape.  What concept am I missing?

Thanks in advance

sunlion

"drop 'two' before replying if by email"

NewbQ: Rotating image 90 degrees changes shape

Post by sunli » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Newbie Q. not in the FAQ, nor archived at DejaNews...

>When I have a have a rectangular image and rotate it 90 degrees, it
>turns it to a square... haven't found a workaround.  I would have
>thought that the image itself would be defined in terms of the number
>of pixels or something and that rotating it would have no effect on
>shape.  What concept am I missing?

To follow up my own question: it appears that the concept I didn't
grasp was that by default, the canvas size and shape matches the image
pasted in.  Thus, rotating it moved the paint without moving the
canvas.  There must be a reason for that...

NewbQ: Rotating image 90 degrees changes shape

Post by Cali » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Layers would be the reason for that.  It works that way so that we can
rotate layers independent of each other.

--
Calin (aka Toby/Runesinger/ZuluNiner)
http://www.calin.com/

Post by Scott A. Mun » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>>Newbie Q. not in the FAQ, nor archived at DejaNews...

>>When I have a have a rectangular image and rotate it 90 degrees, it
>>turns it to a square... haven't found a workaround.  I would have
>>thought that the image itself would be defined in terms of the number
>>of pixels or something and that rotating it would have no effect on
>>shape.  What concept am I missing?

>To follow up my own question: it appears that the concept I didn't
>grasp was that by default, the canvas size and shape matches the image
>pasted in.  Thus, rotating it moved the paint without moving the
>canvas.  There must be a reason for that...

Do you have "All Layers" checked in the rotation dialog box?

-----
Scott A. Munro
Paint Shop Pro tutorials and skeptical UFO stuff
http://www.nextdim.com/users/smunro/
Abolish the IRS: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c106:H.R.2525.IH:

1. Rotating Images by 90 degrees

I need to rotate an image by +/- 90 degrees.  I've got it in a
Device Indep Bitmap structure in GlobalAlloc'd memory.
I've also got it displayed on the screen prior to the rotation so
that I have a device handle to it of I need it.  The image
comes from a GIF file, so I can make no assumptions about
image dimensions being equal or anything like that.

What's the best (speed) way to rotate it 90 degrees?
Anyone have a code fragment that you'd be willing to share?

I've posted this request on comp.graphics and
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.graphics

Thanks.
Lynn

2. ShowYourOwnPics ScrnSvr - picsho32.zip (1/1)

3. Rotate image less than 90 degrees?

4. HELP: Setting map UV Coordinates in MAX

5. Rotating image 90 degrees

6. Resizing to scale

7. Rotating bitmat 90 degrees

8. quad-patch over 25 segments

9. Scatter - Perpendicular rotates 90 degrees?

10. Rotate bitmap 90 degrees east (newbie)

11. Rotating 2D array's (steps of 90 degrees and clockwise)

12. rotating by 90 degrees

13. Efficient routine to rotate bitmap files at 90, 270 degrees