Setting Monitor Gamma Preferences PSP 7.02

Setting Monitor Gamma Preferences PSP 7.02

Post by Hank & Anne Reintge » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:10:37

        After seeing a posting discussing this adjustment I looked it
up in the Paint Shop Manual. I opened the gamma window and the inner
squares in the Red, Green and Blue settings were much darker than the
outside areas.  Per the manual "drag the red, green, and blue slider
controls to adjust the dittered areas until they are of equal
brightness".   The dithered areas are the outside rectangle so I
assume that means to adjust the sliders until the inner rectangle
blends in with the outer  rectangle.  I can do this.  The red
adjustment is 1.64. Green is 1.54 and Blue is 1.88.  The inner
rectangle in the last block is matched well too.  Some of my pictures
look different then they did (these were done some time ago) and the
more recent ones look okay for color but seem a little light now.  Am
I doing this adjustment right?  Do the numbers sound about right?

TIA
Hank/ NC
Response by e-mail not expected but to respond remove
anti-spam ending ".uk"

Setting Monitor Gamma Preferences PSP 7.02

Post by Kris Zaklik » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:32:49

Take a word of advice from me and set everything to 1.00
in the Monitor Gamma Dialog. You'll be glad you did. The
reason is this. The adjustment only influences how images
appear in PSP. If you adjust images with the Monitor
Gamma in effect, they may look fine in PSP but will look
wrong in every other piece of software. (There is another
issue related to the color patches appearing incorrectly
at some resolution settings in Windows, making your
settings unreliable. I can't say if this influences your
situation.) You would be better off adjusting your monitor
using the calibration images available for download here:
http://www.jasc.com/monitor1.asp. This will optimize your
viewing for all applications.

As for your observations about how images look, I would
expect them to look very much brighter with a gamma of 1.5.
This is a pretty dramatic difference by image processing
standards unless your images were unusually dark. In
Colors > Adjust > Gamma Correction or in Colors >
Histogram Functions > Histogram Adjustment I would not
expect to have to increase gamma to more that 1.2 or 1.3
for a decent original image. None of this necessarily means
very much unless your monitor is properly adjusted.

Quote:

>         After seeing a posting discussing this adjustment I looked it
> up in the Paint Shop Manual. I opened the gamma window and the inner
> squares in the Red, Green and Blue settings were much darker than the
> outside areas.  Per the manual "drag the red, green, and blue slider
> controls to adjust the dittered areas until they are of equal
> brightness".   The dithered areas are the outside rectangle so I
> assume that means to adjust the sliders until the inner rectangle
> blends in with the outer  rectangle.  I can do this.  The red
> adjustment is 1.64. Green is 1.54 and Blue is 1.88.  The inner
> rectangle in the last block is matched well too.  Some of my pictures
> look different then they did (these were done some time ago) and the
> more recent ones look okay for color but seem a little light now.  Am
> I doing this adjustment right?  Do the numbers sound about right?

> TIA
> Hank/ NC
> Response by e-mail not expected but to respond remove
> anti-spam ending ".uk"

Kris Zaklika              Jasc Software, Inc.                   The

1. Color matching monitor and printer W2K, PSP 7.02

Hello,

I have Paint Shop Pro 7.02, windows 2000, Epson 870 printer, Iiyama 502
monitor and a Cannon G1 camera.

I have ICM profiles for the printer and the Monitor.

What settings for PSP and the printer driver do I use to make the
monitor match (or at least approximate) the printed result?

I've read the documentation, online help, FAQ, this news group and
various forums, etc, but I still am not clear on what to do.

I have tried various settings in the color matching preferences and the
printer driver, but the results have been poor. Some combinations result
in vary washed out screen display and print with orange cast (but it
matches pretty well).

I was getting better results using all default settings with the bundled
Photoshop LE and the printer set to Automatic Mode but I assume
(possible incorrectly) that proper configuration with the proper
profiles in PSP will be better.

Also, it seems that the PSP color matching dialog only allows selecting
profiles for the default Windows printer. Is there any way to select,
profiles for other printers? I also have an older HP printer (895) that
is much cheaper to play with and does a good job on plain paper when
printing highly process pictures.

I'm a complete novice with respect to digital photography.

Thank for any pointers.

2. "StarField" Plugin

3. PSP 7 to PSP 7.02

4. 3D animators needed in the UK

5. Problem with PSP 7.02 Selection Tool

6. general TV question

7. Thumbnail help PSP 7.02

8. PSP 7.02 upgrade to 7.04 problem MSVCP60.dll?

9. Problem with PSP 7.02

10. PSP 7.02 tutorials

11. Newbie to PSP, looking for tutorials for 7.02

12. HELP!: ACQUIRE closes PSP 7.02 without warning.