ANNOUNCE: Some tutorials

Post by Charles Fusne » Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Greetings, POV enthusiasts!

About a month or so ago, Dieter Bayer announced that the POV Team was
openning the tutorial sections of their documentation to volunteer
submissions. Being a strictly amateur C programmer myself, I found it
a great opportunity to contribute some small thing to the final POV
package, and produced a few submissions for potential tutorials.

I've since noticed that several questions have been asked about the
blob and lathe tutorials, which are two of the submissions I've made,
so, after confirming with Dieter that re-using my donated submissions
on my own web page, is okay per POVLEGAL, I have converted these
submissions to HTML form, and added pre-rendered illustrations of all
the sample codes. You can now browse these illustrated tutorials at my
web site (at least temporarily until the next release of the POV docs).

I have tried to produce tutorials that cover the basics as completely as
possible, and provide sufficient examples to make the points. The following
topics are covered at the site:

Blobs: (including an intro to blobs, component types, complex constructs
        and some potential uses of negative component strengths)

Lathes, Splines & Prisms: (covers the lathe, how it differs from a SOR, a
        basic "spline workshop", linear and conic prisms, how to avoid the
        dreaded "Too few points in prism" error, and other gotchas.)

Layered Textures: (what they are and when you'd want to use them)

"Special" Textures: (A broad range of sub-topics including pigment_maps,
        normal_maps, texture_maps, tiles, the "average" function,
        material_maps, and how to get around the limitations of special
        textures.)

Please, drop by and look around! The direct URL to the tutorial overview
page is...

http://www.enter.net/~cfusner/tutorial.html

Charles Fusner
--------------
author of: Fusner's Raytrace Gallery (Newly update Dec 12)
http://www.enter.net/~cfusner/galleryn.html

ANNOUNCE: Some tutorials

Post by George Erhar » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Greetings, POV enthusiasts!

> About a month or so ago, Dieter Bayer announced that the POV Team was
> openning the tutorial sections of their documentation to volunteer
> submissions. Being a strictly amateur C programmer myself, I found it
> a great opportunity to contribute some small thing to the final POV
> package, and produced a few submissions for potential tutorials.

> I've since noticed that several questions have been asked about the
> blob and lathe tutorials, which are two of the submissions I've made,
> so, after confirming with Dieter that re-using my donated submissions
> on my own web page, is okay per POVLEGAL, I have converted these
> submissions to HTML form, and added pre-rendered illustrations of all
> the sample codes. You can now browse these illustrated tutorials at my
> web site (at least temporarily until the next release of the POV docs).

> I have tried to produce tutorials that cover the basics as completely as
> possible, and provide sufficient examples to make the points. The following
> topics are covered at the site:

> Blobs: (including an intro to blobs, component types, complex constructs
>         and some potential uses of negative component strengths)

> Lathes, Splines & Prisms: (covers the lathe, how it differs from a SOR, a
>         basic "spline workshop", linear and conic prisms, how to avoid the
>         dreaded "Too few points in prism" error, and other gotchas.)

> Layered Textures: (what they are and when you'd want to use them)

> "Special" Textures: (A broad range of sub-topics including pigment_maps,
>         normal_maps, texture_maps, tiles, the "average" function,
>         material_maps, and how to get around the limitations of special
>         textures.)

> Please, drop by and look around! The direct URL to the tutorial overview
> page is...

> http://www.enter.net/~cfusner/tutorial.html

> Charles Fusner
> --------------
> author of: Fusner's Raytrace Gallery (Newly update Dec 12)
> http://www.enter.net/~cfusner/galleryn.html

Hey thanks Charles, I could use a boning-up on these things.  Anyone
undertaken the "halo" and atmospheric sections of the tutorials yet?

--

"Error: File Not Found.  Should I Fake it? (Y/N)"
----------------------+--------------------------

225 Mayhew Way #5     | www.geocities.com/
Walnut Creek CA 94596 | SiliconValley/Park/8640
----------------------+--------------------------

ANNOUNCE: Some tutorials

Post by Charles Fusne » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Hey thanks Charles, I could use a boning-up on these things.  Anyone
> undertaken the "halo" and atmospheric sections of the tutorials yet?

Haven't gone and re-checked as I type this, but actually, I think those two were
already in the last official release of the docs. That was where I finally got it
through my head that halos were a fourth texture property and why an atmosphere is a
little like fog. The halo section shows how to make a fiery explosion, and the
atmosphere builds a simple room with moonlight streaming in the window. That sort of
stuff.

Charles Fusner
--------------
author of: Fusner's Raytrace Gallery Last update Dec. 9th
http://www.enter.net/~cfusner/galleryn.html

1. ANNOUNCE: New Tutorial "Build Textile Textures"

Paint Shop Pro Tutorial  #27

Using a few strokes and resample, make nice textiles that are all
ready seamless. Easy. Step by step.

No crap to wade through...go straight to the tutorial...

http://www.sumrallworks.com/freebies/buttonhole/psp/tutorials/textile...

Check out our other PSP Tutorials...

http://www.sumrallworks.com/freebies/buttonhole/psp/tutorials/link2g.htm

Check out the other PSP Resources...

http://www.sumrallworks.com/freebies/buttonhole/psp/link2.htm

Download Addins: Textures, Selections, and Masks

Rip & Tim
Paint Shop Pro Resources
Sumrall Works Inc.
www.sumrallworks.com

2. Color Quantitizing

3. ANNOUNCE: RAIN TUTORIAL

4. GIF87a to GIF89a

5. ANNOUNCE: Caustics Tutorial

6. New user observation

7. Announce: Xara tutorials

8. Announce: Xara Tutorials

9. ANNOUNCE: New Tutorial "Piped Inner Bevel" Text Effect

10. Announcing 2 Tutorials on "Radiosity" and "PostScript"

11. Announce Paint Shop Pro 5 Tutorial.... Circle Text