cropping an ellipse

cropping an ellipse

Post by Graham Thorle » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 13:37:35



I am trying to crop a portion of a picture but in an oval shape. Can
someone explain how or point me to a tutorial. I have psp 7. In vs 6
when I used the preset shapes and ellipse it had stroked or filled vs 7
seems to just create filled. Using vs 6 if I make an ellipse of the area
I want can I just select the area somehow and then save the cropped
section?

Graham Thorley

                       ---NO SPAM IN EFFECT---

 
 
 

cropping an ellipse

Post by Jackie Laderout » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 13:54:00


On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 04:37:35 GMT, Graham Thorley


>I am trying to crop a portion of a picture but in an oval shape. Can
>someone explain how or point me to a tutorial. I have psp 7.

Well, if you have done this before, I gather that you are already
aware that image files are, by default, rectangular - so I am assuming
that you are wanting to crop an image to an ellipse on either a
transparent background or on a background colour.

If that is the case, use the selection tool and select "Ellipse" in
the Tool Options. Drag out your elliptical shape - if it ends up in
the wrong place, just switch to the move tool and drag it with the
right mouse button to place it just where you want it.

Then go to Image->Crop to selection. This can have two results:

1. If you are drawing your ellipse on a Background layer, or if you
are in less than 16-million colours, it will produce a rectangle
bounding your ellipse with the extra bits filled with your current
background colour; or

2. If you are on a full layer, it will produce your ellipse on a
transparent background.

Quote:>In vs 6 when I used the preset shapes and ellipse it had stroked or filled
>vs 7 seems to just create filled. Using vs 6 if I make an ellipse of the area
>I want can I just select the area somehow and then save the cropped
>section?

I've given you the method above - but to set stroke and fill for the
preset shapes, use the Styles box. The upper box sets your stroke and
the lower one sets your fill - either of these can be set to a colour,
a gradient, a bitmap pattern fill or to Null (nothing). Make sure you
*un*check "Retain Style" in your Tool Options, though, or you will
always end up with whatever style was saved for the preset shape.

Yell if you need more info.

Jackie

--
< o \"/  Don't play cat and mouse with me!                         (


*****************************************************************/\o/\

 
 
 

cropping an ellipse

Post by Kris Zaklik » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:03:14



> I am trying to crop a portion of a picture but in an oval shape. Can
> someone explain how or point me to a tutorial. I have psp 7. In vs 6
> when I used the preset shapes and ellipse it had stroked or filled vs 7
> seems to just create filled. Using vs 6 if I make an ellipse of the area
> I want can I just select the area somehow and then save the cropped
> section?

The Selection tool has an Ellipse selection. Just click
where you want the center of the ellipse and drag it out.
Then do Edit > Copy and Edit > Paste > As New Image. If
you don't want to use the selection tool you can start
with the Ellipse vector object. Use the Shape tool to drag
it out, making sure you have Create as Vector checked in
the Tool Options Palette. One you have placed the shape
select it with the Vector Selection tool. Then you can
move it, resize it, rotate it etc. Once the shape is
exactly as you want (and is still selected) right click
and select Properties. Select a solid Fill color for the
object. Now do Selections > From Vector Object and copy
and paste as before.

> Graham Thorley

>                        ---NO SPAM IN EFFECT---


--
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kris Zaklika              Jasc Software, Inc.                   The



----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 

cropping an ellipse

Post by Bob Diet » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:14:22



> I am trying to crop a portion of a picture but in an oval shape. Can
> someone explain how or point me to a tutorial. I have psp 7. In vs 6
> when I used the preset shapes and ellipse it had stroked or filled vs 7
> seems to just create filled. Using vs 6 if I make an ellipse of the area
> I want can I just select the area somehow and then save the cropped
> section?

> Graham Thorley

>                        ---NO SPAM IN EFFECT---


The following method should give you plenty of control.

Use the Preset Shape Tool.
Set the foreground color to contrast well with the images content.
Set the background color to white or black.
On the Tool Options palette -
    Set shape to Ellipse
    o  Retain style
    x  Antialias (optional, but you probably want it checked)
    x  Create as vector
    Line width: 1
    Line style: #1 Solid
Draw an ellipse.
Layers> Layer Properties...> reduce Opacity to about 30.
Use the Object Selector tool to adjust the size, shape and position of
the ellipse as desired.
Selections> From Vector Object
Layers> Delete
Edit> Copy
Edit> Paste> As New Image

Bob

 
 
 

cropping an ellipse

Post by Tim.. » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 17:25:31



[...]

Quote:> if it ends up in the wrong place, just switch to
> the move tool and drag it with the
> right mouse button to place it just where you want it.

"move tool" ..... where is this?
The number of times i've tried to 'capture' an area and it has been in
the wrong place, meaning i started over, and all this time there was a
move tool!!

Gaaaaargh!!

 
 
 

cropping an ellipse

Post by JoAn » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 17:37:16





> [...]

> > if it ends up in the wrong place, just switch to
> > the move tool and drag it with the
> > right mouse button to place it just where you want it.

> "move tool" ..... where is this?
> The number of times i've tried to 'capture' an area and it has been in
> the wrong place, meaning i started over, and all this time there was a
> move tool!!

> Gaaaaargh!!

The 'move tool' is on the tool bar, a four-headed arrow icon.  Hover your
mouse over the icons until you see the name 'Mover' pop up....that's the
one! :-)

--
Jo
=============================
Got PSP Questions?  Get Answers!
http://campratty.com/questions.html
=============================

 
 
 

cropping an ellipse

Post by Tim.. » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 17:42:28



Quote:> The 'move tool' is on the tool bar, a four-headed arrow icon.  Hover
your
> mouse over the icons until you see the name 'Mover' pop up....that's
the
> one! :-)

[sobs uncontrollably into his coffee]

Thank you ... thank you ..... thank you !!

 
 
 

cropping an ellipse

Post by Tim.. » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 17:56:36



Quote:> The 'move tool' is on the tool bar, a four-headed arrow icon.
> Hover your mouse over the icons until you see the name
> 'Mover' pop up

Seems to me, having just looked thru the "customize toolbar" list, that
there is a lot of stuff 'hidden' in PSP. Do some of these icons appear
only when the relevant action / menu is accessed? I for instance, just
found the "Overview Window" which will be very useful for what i do. I
didn't know of it's existence until now!

But i can't seem to locate the "move tool" .... i'll keep looking.

 
 
 

cropping an ellipse

Post by Tim.. » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:00:40



Quote:> But i can't seem to locate the "move tool" .... i'll keep looking.

oops ..... found it ..... right click, drag ..... excellent !
 
 
 

cropping an ellipse

Post by Uni » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:44:19



> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 04:37:35 GMT, Graham Thorley

> >I am trying to crop a portion of a picture but in an oval shape. Can
> >someone explain how or point me to a tutorial. I have psp 7.

> Well, if you have done this before, I gather that you are already
> aware that image files are, by default, rectangular - so I am assuming
> that you are wanting to crop an image to an ellipse on either a
> transparent background or on a background colour.

> If that is the case, use the selection tool and select "Ellipse" in
> the Tool Options. Drag out your elliptical shape - if it ends up in
> the wrong place, just switch to the move tool and drag it with the
> right mouse button to place it just where you want it.

> Then go to Image->Crop to selection. This can have two results:

> 1. If you are drawing your ellipse on a Background layer, or if you
> are in less than 16-million colours, it will produce a rectangle
> bounding your ellipse with the extra bits filled with your current
> background colour; or

> 2. If you are on a full layer, it will produce your ellipse on a
> transparent background.

> >In vs 6 when I used the preset shapes and ellipse it had stroked or filled
> >vs 7 seems to just create filled. Using vs 6 if I make an ellipse of the area
> >I want can I just select the area somehow and then save the cropped
> >section?

> I've given you the method above - but to set stroke and fill for the
> preset shapes, use the Styles box. The upper box sets your stroke and
> the lower one sets your fill - either of these can be set to a colour,
> a gradient, a bitmap pattern fill or to Null (nothing). Make sure you
> *un*check "Retain Style" in your Tool Options, though, or you will
> always end up with whatever style was saved for the preset shape.

> Yell if you need more info.

There you go, Jackie. Stick to these brainless questions. You can answer
them. And besides, they're non catastrophic for the end user!

Uni

- Show quoted text -

> Jackie

> --
> < o \"/  Don't play cat and mouse with me!                         (


> *****************************************************************/\o/\

 
 
 

cropping an ellipse

Post by Graham Thorle » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 23:59:32


Thanks Jackie for the heads up. I haven't used PSP much for a while and
found the selection tool and ellipse" 5 minutes after posting.

At least something good came out of the message with Tim finding the
move tool and Bob Dietz alternate solution.


> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 04:37:35 GMT, Graham Thorley

> >I am trying to crop a portion of a picture but in an oval shape. Can
> >someone explain how or point me to a tutorial. I have psp 7.

> Well, if you have done this before, I gather that you are already
> aware that image files are, by default, rectangular - so I am assuming
> that you are wanting to crop an image to an ellipse on either a
> transparent background or on a background colour.

> If that is the case, use the selection tool and select "Ellipse" in
> the Tool Options. Drag out your elliptical shape - if it ends up in
> the wrong place, just switch to the move tool and drag it with the
> right mouse button to place it just where you want it.

> Then go to Image->Crop to selection. This can have two results:

> 1. If you are drawing your ellipse on a Background layer, or if you
> are in less than 16-million colours, it will produce a rectangle
> bounding your ellipse with the extra bits filled with your current
> background colour; or

> 2. If you are on a full layer, it will produce your ellipse on a
> transparent background.

> >In vs 6 when I used the preset shapes and ellipse it had stroked or filled
> >vs 7 seems to just create filled. Using vs 6 if I make an ellipse of the area
> >I want can I just select the area somehow and then save the cropped
> >section?

> I've given you the method above - but to set stroke and fill for the
> preset shapes, use the Styles box. The upper box sets your stroke and
> the lower one sets your fill - either of these can be set to a colour,
> a gradient, a bitmap pattern fill or to Null (nothing). Make sure you
> *un*check "Retain Style" in your Tool Options, though, or you will
> always end up with whatever style was saved for the preset shape.

> Yell if you need more info.

> Jackie

> --
> < o \"/  Don't play cat and mouse with me!                         (


> *****************************************************************/\o/\

--
Graham Thorley

Like Art? visit         http://www.ArtByJudy.com

                       ---NO SPAM IN EFFECT---

 
 
 

1. Is ellipse completely contained in another ellipse?

Dear group,

I would like to test whether an ellipse 'E1' is completely contained
in another ellipse 'E2'. How do I do that?

My solution so far is to take the end-points of the major and minor
axis of E1 (which can easily be determined) and test whether these
points lie within E2. If so, E1 is completely contained in E2.
Otherwise, it is not.

Can anybody confirm this method? And if so, can anybody prove it
mathematically? If your agree that the method described above is
appropriate, would you also agree that it also works for arbitrarily
rotated ellipses (where each may be rotated differently)? Thanks!

With kindest regards,

Nick Linnenbrgger.

2. Epson 1240U anyone?

3. Ellipse-Ellipse :-)

4. Lightwave upgrading...

5. Is ellipse completely contained in another ellipse?

6. How to clear a drawn text in the TImage

7. Spatial ellipse from 2D ellipse

8. Intersection of ellipse and ellipse

9. What's an ellipse? -- DDA ellipse algos & ANSI/ISO standard

10. rectangle/ellipse intersection?

11. spheres look like y-stretched ellipses in POV ray

12. ellipse in Pov-Ray