GraphicConverter file size

Post by Risto Virtane » Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:00:00

What's the matter with newer GraphicConverter versions like 2.6?

A JPEG file shows File Length 38,6KB in Information window, but saved on
disk it occupies 98KB or (86 504 bytes used). Older version (like 2.3.1)
produced much smaller file sizes in line with the file length... while
both create mini icons!?!

Why does it waste disc space so much?

Post by Tom La » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> What's the matter with newer GraphicConverter versions like 2.6?
> A JPEG file shows File Length 38,6KB in Information window, but saved on
> disk it occupies 98KB or (86 504 bytes used). Older version (like 2.3.1)
> produced much smaller file sizes in line with the file length...

Probably you're saving at a higher quality setting than the original
file was saved at.

Before you say "no I'm not": I believe that recent versions of GC can
use either the IJG JPEG code or Apple's JPEG code (which is part of
QuickTime).  That wouldn't make much difference, except that Apple
uses a quality scale that's completely unrelated to the IJG scale.
Q 50 on Apple's scale is about like Q 80 on the IJG scale.  So check
your GC preferences, and select the IJG encoder if you want to get
the same filesize-vs-quality-setting results you got before.

BTW, editing and resaving a JPEG is not something to do lightly ...
you lose a little quality each time around.

                        regards, tom lane
                        organizer, Independent JPEG Group

Post by Fred Cart » Thu, 19 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> > What's the matter with newer GraphicConverter versions like 2.6?
> > A JPEG file shows File Length 38,6KB in Information window, but saved on
> > disk it occupies 98KB or (86 504 bytes used). Older version (like 2.3.1)
> > produced much smaller file sizes in line with the file length...

> Probably you're saving at a higher quality setting than the original
> file was saved at.

> Before you say "no I'm not": I believe that recent versions of GC can
> use either the IJG JPEG code or Apple's JPEG code (which is part of
> QuickTime).  That wouldn't make much difference, except that Apple
> uses a quality scale that's completely unrelated to the IJG scale.
> Q 50 on Apple's scale is about like Q 80 on the IJG scale.  So check
> your GC preferences, and select the IJG encoder if you want to get
> the same filesize-vs-quality-setting results you got before.

> BTW, editing and resaving a JPEG is not something to do lightly ...
> you lose a little quality each time around.

>                         regards, tom lane
>                         organizer, Independent JPEG Group

It is also possible that your preview is saved at a larger size. In my
experience, a 200x200 pica-size preview adds an additional 40-50k to the
graphic. This can really add up.

-Fred

Post by Wndr » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> > > What's the matter with newer GraphicConverter versions like 2.6?
> > > A JPEG file shows File Length 38,6KB in Information window, but saved on
> > > disk it occupies 98KB or (86 504 bytes used). Older version (like 2.3.1)
> > > produced much smaller file sizes in line with the file length...

> > Probably you're saving at a higher quality setting than the original
> > file was saved at.
> It is also possible that your preview is saved at a larger size. In my
> experience, a 200x200 pica-size preview adds an additional 40-50k to the
> graphic. This can really add up.

> -Fred

Another possibility:  Go into your GC preferences.  Set the save options
to NOT give you file custom icons or previews.  This will save an
incredible amount of file space (especially on the super small files, 33K
down to 2K!)
Wndrin

--
Across a deep blue midnight sky
We sit, and watch,

1. GraphicConverter question - tif files

Hope someone familiar with GraphicConverter can help me.

I've downloaded a few tif images from <www.census.pro.gov.uk>. Each file is
around 170kb  on average when downloaded.

I then open the image in GraphicConverter and rotate them upright, then
save.

Problem is that after doing a 'save as', the file becomes around 700kb. I
don't change the image type or anything, ie. I keep as a tif file as far as
I know, I only rotate.

I do ave the "save web ready (without resource)" option ticked within
GraphicConverter. Not sure if that makes much difference with tif files
anyway.

Any clues as to why the file size multiplies would be much appreciated. Is
there anyway I can retain the original file size after rotating? I don't
want to diminish the quality of the original file though.

Many thanks...Steven

2. font problems....

3. Index JPEG files with GraphicConverter?

4. Rasteriser

5. GraphicConverter 2.4 problem with TIFF files

6. OpenGL is very slow... :o(

7. File Size / Image Size gone from PS 4

8. Extreme 3d

9. Figuring out file size of pcx files

10. File Size Puzzle: PS CS vs File Info??

11. JPEG file quality and file size

12. Need help with Mac GraphicConverter/NIH Image problem.