GLX resource problem

Post by Mark Kilga » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

|> This has come up twice in the last couple of weeks.
|>
|> Users trying to run a GLX application get the following error:
|> X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for
|> operation)

The message probably has a few more lines than that.  Does
it say which type of GLX request had the BadAlloc?

BadAlloc can happen for quite a number of reasons.  Perhaps
you have created a GLX pixmap that is too large or run
the system out of kernel rendering contexts (you created
too many OpenGL rendering contexts).  Or you are trying
to allocate a pbuffer which doesn't fit in off-screen
memory.

You should also look in /var/X11/xdm/xdm-errors and
/usr/adm/SYSLOG for more indications what the problem
might be.

|> This often happens after repeatedly running an application that exits
|> abnormally (ie during debug).  The only solution seems to be to reboot.
|> Can anyone explain what's going on and if there is any kind of fix?

What version of IRIX are you running?  What hardware is this on?

I would recommend installing the most recent OpenGL patch for
your OS and hardware.

I hope this helps.

- Mark

1. GLX resource problem

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I've got a problem with GLX resources.  They seem to be disappearing
on me.  I've got a program which draws in an offsreen X pixmap using
GL, and to do that, I've got to create a GLX context.  I believe I'm
being very diligent about destroying the context when I'm done with
it, but when I try to grab one the fourth time, I get the message:

X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
Major opcode of failed request:  139 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
Serial number of failed request:  16
Current serial number in output stream:  18

I then get to reboot the machine in order to restore the resources.

I'm running on an Indy (133Mhz R4600/4610), IRIX 5.3,
patches 547, 670, 1187, 1255, 1402, 1518.  (1402 and 1187 were
put on because I thought they might help with this problem.)

The sequence of X and GLX events is

XtAppInitialize
XCreatePixmap
glXChooseVisual
glXCreateContext
glXCreateGLXPixmap
glXMakeCurrent
(gl commands)
(glreadpixels)
glXDestroyGLXPixmap
glXDestroyContext
XFree(visual)
XFreePixmap
XtDestroyWidget

According to ogldebug, the glxdestroycontext is definitely happening.

So, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Might it be something to do with
making the context not current before I destroy it?  I must say it's
inconvenient to have to reboot every three debugging iterations.

Thanks.

-- Mike Salisbury

2. FillRect question

3. GLX & X server resources problem on SGI

4. Symposium on Small Computers in the Arts: Nov. 6-8, Philadelphia

5. glX versus GLX - Repost

6. NURBS and lighting

7. glX vesrus GLX

8. HIGH QUALITY Web-Programming

9. GLX and multiple glx context

10. glx extensions, undefined glx references with glut (Linux)

11. EnSight, O2, GLX problem

12. Problem in using popup menus in GLX

13. Problem with Viewkit and GLX