Question About Plotting Applications

Post by Michael R. Lewi » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any application, free or otherwise,
that would allow me to plot data and save it to an image file. What I
want to do is this: I upload a couple bitmaps, and some other data using
a server application that I developed. What I want to do is then plot
the data and save it to an image file so that it can be displayed on a
web page. Something with 3D plotting capabilities would be nice.

Thanks,
Mike Lewis

--
Michael R. Lewis                PHONE: (617) 738-1199
PO Box 15478                    PAGER: (617) 216-3312

                                  WWW: http://people.bu.edu/milewis

  "Women are meant to be loved, not understood."  -- Oscar Wilde

Question About Plotting Applications

Post by The Hurdy Gurdy Ma » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I was wondering if anyone knew of any application, free or otherwise,
> that would allow me to plot data and save it to an image file. What I
> want to do is this: I upload a couple bitmaps, and some other data using
> a server application that I developed. What I want to do is then plot
> the data and save it to an image file so that it can be displayed on a
> web page. Something with 3D plotting capabilities would be nice.

I've never used either of them so I'm not 100% sure either will meet your
needs, but you can at least take a look at 'em and see if they'll do what
you want.  One is Mgraph:

http://www-loa.univ-lille1.fr/Mgraph/mgraphE.html

And the other is GNUPlot, which you'll have to do a web search to find but
I can assure you there's lots of web pages out there about it.  Hopefully
one of those two can do what you need in the way you need it done.

                                                                Bryan

Post by Larry Hunte » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

  I was wondering if anyone knew of any application, free or otherwise, that
  would allow me to plot data and save it to an image file.

Depends a little on exactly what kind of data and graphing you had in mind.
I find that Grace is really quite good for the kinds of plotting scientists
need to do:

  http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Grace/

It's GPL'd (i.e. free), and if you want, you can write scripts to make it do
just about anything under program control.  I use it a lot.

Larry

--
Lawrence Hunter, Ph.D.        Chief, Molecular Statistics and Bioinformatics

Federal Building, Room 3C06                         phone: +1 (301) 402-0389
7550 Wisconsin Ave.                                   fax: +1 (301) 480-0223
Bethesda, MD 20892  USA

1. 3-D plotting, medical application

A friend of mine,  a pediatric endocrinologist, is developing a lot
of software (on UNIX systems) to analyse growth. In order to appreciate
the meaning of the reams of data he has accumulated he needs a program that

1) can plot 3-D surfaces of points (I am not a graphics wizard and
therefore this description may be unclear; what I mean is a program for
plotting a surface, not necessarily planar, in three dimensions).
2) multiple surfaces (with the option of see-thru or hidden-line)
3) large numbers of points (about 3,000)

Any program, commercial or public domain would do the trick. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
I would suggest e-mail rather than posting responses to the net.

                                Isaac

2. rotating and fading flare

3. question about adding 3D graphics to existing application.

4. four 2-D coordinates

5. question about GIF 89a spec (Application Extension)

6. (question) about GIF 89a spec, (Application Extenstion)

7. contcapt, SGI video application question

8. Question on application of text

9. a question (surface matching application)

10. Question: Animation application written using Borland Delphi

11. Question about distribution of applications..