Announcing pnglib 0.6 - a free png source library

Announcing pnglib 0.6 - a free png source library

Post by WILLEM VAN SCHAIK (INTERNET: GWIL.. » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

> pnglib 0.6 requires zlib 0.9 or later.  Both should be available at
> ftp.uu.net:/graphics/png

> -Guy Schalnat
>  Group 42, Inc.

Isn't it a good idea first to check before you announce ???? The pnglib
at ftp.uu.net is only version 0.3 and zlib is non-existant.

Oh dear.....

Willem

W    i    l    l    e    m        v    a    n        S    c    h    a    i    k

Announcing pnglib 0.6 - a free png source library

Post by grou.. » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

Announcing pnglib 0.6, a pre-Beta release of pnglib.  Pnglib allows
you to read and write PNG files, without having to go through the
hassle of implementing the format yourself.  Pnglib is the official
reference library for the PNG file format.  It has been designed to
be easy to use, while powerful enough that the majority of users will
not have any problem supporting the PNG file format within one day of
coding.

While pnglib 0.6 is not fully finished, it does read and write png
files, and thus is useful for those who want to investigate adding
png support to their programs.

Post by Cris » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

>While pnglib 0.6 is not fully finished, it does read and write png
>files, and thus is useful for those who want to investigate adding
>png support to their programs.

>pnglib 0.6 requires zlib 0.9 or later.  Both should be available at
>ftp.uu.net:/graphics/png

PNG support using the pnglib is now available in ImageMagick (ftp.x.org
in contrib/applications/ImageMagick).  However, if you have an SGI you
will need zlib 0.92.

Announcing pnglib 0.6 - a free png source library

Post by grou.. » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>  Isn't it a good idea first to check before you announce ???? The pnglib
>  at ftp.uu.net is only version 0.3 and zlib is non-existant.

Sorry.  Now there is nothing there.  Try ftp.group42.com:/pub/png
I control that one, so it should be correct.  If not, I know who to
blame.

-Guy

Post by Terry Sik » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

>Announcing pnglib 0.6, a pre-Beta release of pnglib.  Pnglib allows
>you to read and write PNG files, without having to go through the
>hassle of implementing the format yourself.  Pnglib is the official
>reference library for the PNG file format.  It has been designed to
>be easy to use, while powerful enough that the majority of users will
>not have any problem supporting the PNG file format within one day of
>coding.

>While pnglib 0.6 is not fully finished, it does read and write png
>files, and thus is useful for those who want to investigate adding
>png support to their programs.

>pnglib 0.6 requires zlib 0.9 or later.  Both should be available at
>ftp.uu.net:/graphics/png

A couple of comments and observations.  First, could you please post
ftp sites as legal URLs, i.e. ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/png?  :)

Second, my DNS didn't have an entry for ftp.group42.com (I already
read your post referring interested parties to this FTP site instead).
Perhaps posting the IP address would be a good idea...

Thanks for your time!
--
Terry Sikes               |  Software Developer++

finger for PGP pub key    |  "Anyone programming in a 16-bit environment
My opinions - mine only!  |   isn't playing with a full DEC."

Post by grou.. » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

>  A couple of comments and observations.  First, could you please post
>  ftp sites as legal URLs, i.e. ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/png?  :)

I assumed all of you could translate, but I bet you want to cut and paste
the address.  Good enough reason.  I will.

Quote:>  Second, my DNS didn't have an entry for ftp.group42.com (I already
>  read your post referring interested parties to this FTP site instead).
>  Perhaps posting the IP address would be a good idea...

Try ftp://204.94.158.25/pub/png

Alternatively, you can get it at http://www.group42.com
which is http://204.94.158.25

The ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/png site is up, but is sometimes hard to
get to (too much traffic).  BTW, if anyone has trouble getting to my
sites, drop me a note.

Quote:>  Thanks for your time!

No problem.  Any feedback would be appreciated, as I am providing pnglib
as a way to help acceptance of png.  I hope to make it as good as the
tiff and jpeg libraries I've seen and used.  I believe in professional level
software and libraries, and will continue to update pnglib to make it so.

-Guy

Post by Robert Kl » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

>>ftp.uu.net:/graphics/png
>A couple of comments and observations.  First, could you please post
>ftp sites as legal URLs, i.e. ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/png?  :)

I'm sorry, but not everyone uses Netscape/Mosaic/Lynx/whatever to ftp.
This may sound weird, but I use NcFTP for ftp'ing which doesnt like the
legal URL-standard, but works with the one as posted (ftp.uu.net:/...)

So...the 'please post this in easy_cut_&_paste_format' battle continues ;)

                                                                robert
--
"This [humms a 2Unlimited tune] is _not_ techno!" - Derrick May

Announcing pnglib 0.6 - a free png source library

Post by Robert Kl » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

[something]

sorry, forgot to fix the header last time...

                                                                robert
--
"This [humms a 2Unlimited tune] is _not_ techno!" - Derrick May

1. Announce: 3Delight 0.6

Hi,
we are pleased to announce that a new version of 3Delight
is now available for download on the 3Delight website
( http://www.3delight.com ). The licensing terms are the
same as before (eg free, but you cannot distribute it
commercially).

We would like to thank all those who help us build better
software by reporting bugs and making suggestion to us.

Here is a brief list of what has changed since the last
public release. The 0.5.2 version was never made publicly available.

0.6 (2000/09/25)
----
- More efficient handling of large polygon meshes
- A lot of work on the ray tracer: faster, more robust, but still in
development
- Support for attributes "render" "visibility" and "render"
"casts_shadows"
- Faster and higher quality texture mapping
- 3Delight is now statically linked with libtiff
- Some changes in display driver interface. Beware: more changes are to
be expected over the next few releases.
- You can now specify exposure, quantization and dithering values on
a per display basis.
- The cone primitive was bugged -- it is now working properly
- Shader compiler:
- Better and faster optimizer
- regex() function is now supported on NT
- Supports for varying string local variables
- Fixed a bug in transformation of point parameters in shaders
- More SL functions implemented
- RIB generated by Maya crashed the renderer -- this has been fixed
- Fixed the installation scripts -- they should work on all Linux
flavors
- Many other bug fixes
- Due to lack of interest, we do not support LinuxPPC anymore
- A PDF version of the manual is now available.

0.5.2 (2000/08/15)
----
- Fixed the normal calculation (they were sometimes inversed)
- Fixed backface culling
- Fixed a bug caused by surface shaders that modify P
- Oi and Ci are now initialized to 0 and 1, respectively
- Added a "circle" bucketorder
- Added support for cellnoise, attribute, options and textureinfo (SL)
- Now accepting inline parameter declaration
- Faster texture mapping

Happy rendering !

The 3Delight Team

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Problem Placing Pictures

3. ANNOUNCE: New version of Java PNG library

4. RTF and PictureBox

5. ANNOUNCE: 3D Modeler Library (3D Booleans) Source Code

6. False colors visalisation ?

7. ANNOUNCE: 3D Modeler Library Source Code (w/ 3D Booleans)

8. people models

9. ANNOUNCE: Fast, Compact, 3D Modeler Library / Source Code

10. Megapov 0.6 and glowing lights

11. Art of Illusion 0.6

12. rib tickler 0.6

13. QuickDraw GX FAQ 0.6