clone tool inconsistent?

Post by gmarti » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 21:25:31

I am using PSP7 and trying to remove a figure from a jpeg photo using
the clone tool. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not? Is this
the app or the cpu? I have printed the help directions on using the
clone tool and followed them. Also, when should the non-alligned
option be used instead of the alligned in the clone tool options
windows?

gmartins

clone tool inconsistent?

Post by Kris Zaklik » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 21:58:11

> I am using PSP7 and trying to remove a figure from a jpeg photo using
> the clone tool. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not? Is this
> the app or the cpu?

Neither, I think, since it always works for me. You could
be doing something wrong but, if so, you haven't given
enough information for me to figure out what it might be.
If you are cloning by dragging the brush instead of just
clicking it, you may not be using the source area that
you think you are using. Sometimes it is easy to lose
track since you have to look in two places at once - the
clone source and where you are painting. In general, it
is best to use a very soft clone brush with a low opacity
and "puff" the effect on, meaning clicking repeatedly on
a spot to build the effect up. This gives you most control
and lets you spot when something is not quite right before
any real damage happens.

As far as your specific problem is concerned, I don't know
if your clone source is on one layer and you are cloning
onto another. Perhaps you are hitting a transparent area
of the layer with your source so that nothing appears at
the cloning target point. Perhaps you are cloning from one
image into another and the clone source has gone beyond the
bounds of the source image. You'll have to give a bit more
info about what exactly it is you are doing since there is
no known defect in the Clone Tool.

Quote:> I have printed the help directions on using the
> clone tool and followed them. Also, when should the non-alligned
> option be used instead of the alligned in the clone tool options
> windows?

The Help says:
* Aligned mode, in which the source area moves with the brush
each time you release the mouse. When you release and then
re-click the mouse, the brush resumes cloning the image relative
to the distance from the source area.
* Non-aligned mode, in which the source area does not move when
you release the mouse. Each time you release and then re-click
the mouse, the starting point for cloning returns to source area.

This all has to do with what happens on the brush stroke after
the first. Suppose you have picked a source at the top of the
image and are cloning vertically down your image. You make a
first stroke from the top of your image to half way down. Then
you make a second stroke from the place you stopped down to
the bottom of the image. In Aligned mode, the second stroke
will take its initial source from a point roughly halfway down
the image. In Non-aligned mode the second stroke will take its
initial source from the spot that you originally right-clicked
as the source. The Non-aligned mode is useful if, for instance,
you have selected a nice skin region and want to apply this
very region to patches of skin distributed in different areas
of your image. The Aligned mode is useful when there is a
long-range variation of lighting in your image and your cloned
area must reflect this gradual change across the image. Those
are just two specific examples. Others will depend on the
details of the image in question. You could always post the
problem image somewhere to get better advice.

Quote:

> gmartins

Kris Zaklika              Jasc Software, Inc.                   The

1. clone tool - clone from all layers?

Anybody know a way to set the clone tool to clone
from all layers?  Photoshop 5 has this option, but I
didn't see it in the latest stable gimp.

Eric Rosenthal

Software Engineer
Disney TV animation

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Barnsley fern source code?

3. Clone tool

4. Cropping part of a Timage into another one

5. Making a picure frame using the Clone tool

6. World coordinates

7. PSP sounds--Clone tool

8. CAD code/toolkit for Delphi?

9. Clone tool