SGI PC boards??.

Post by Adrian Powe » Wed, 28 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Does anyone know if SGI are planning to produce gaphics boards for PC's?

Adrian

SGI PC boards??.

Post by Alex Madara » Wed, 28 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:(Adrian Powell) writes:
> Does anyone know if SGI are planning to produce gaphics boards for PC's?

They used to, years ago.

I think that experience may have cured them of the urge!        ;-)

Much as I like PCs, I still don't see that the system architecture has
caught up to SGIs well enough to make them eager to try and shoehorn
their graphics into a PC.  By the time 64-bit PCI is common in the PC
world, SGI will probably be shipping desktop systems with a 256-bit GIO /
system bus (maybe using PCI as a periperal bus as they're using EISA in
the Indigo2s).

Drop by the OpenGL newsgroups - they're maintaining a FAQ of suppliers
for PC 3-D graphics accelerators, which included a number of OpenGL
accelerators based on the GLiNT chip and other architectures.

SGI PC boards??.

Post by Randolph J. Herbe » Wed, 28 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone know if SGI are planning to produce gaphics boards for PC's?

They did once in the past.  As far as I know, they do not presently.
Who can speak for the future?  I would guess they will not for whatever
reasons they discontinued the previous PC boards.

(Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.)
(Product, trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)

SGI PC boards??.

Post by Ivan Ba » Wed, 28 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone know if SGI are planning to produce gaphics boards for PC's?

There was an article about a startup called 3Dfx Interactive Inc. in the
May 30, 1995, edition of the San Francisco Chronicle.  That company was
apparently started by three veterans of Silicon Graphics Inc., and it is
located in Mountain view.

They plan to begin shipping their first 3D cards that can be inserted into
IBM-compatible PCs by this fall.  Among other things, those cards will be
used to produce special effects (fx) for games.

SGI PC boards??.

Post by Walter Robers » Wed, 28 Jun 1995 04:00:00

:Does anyone know if SGI are planning to produce gaphics boards for PC's?

I think I can fairly safely say that NO, SGI is NOT planning to
produce graphics boards for PC's. Graphics boards for PCs are not SGI's
market.  SGI specializes in software, and in *integrated* hardware -- that
is, hardware which has been designed to work together for multimedia.
There are so many variations on PC architectures that it would be
very very difficult to work just from the graphics board level and yet
produce something that produced good graphics for a wide variety of PCs.

Also, the PC market supports only relatively small mark-ups, so unless
SGI really did think they could sell LOTS of the boards, they would be
unlikely to make an acceptable profit on them. They would, IMHO, be
better off in pushing the low end price-point so that people who would
seriously consider a high-end PC graphics board and fast PC combination,
would instead just buy an SGI system.

SGI PC boards??.

Post by George Petr » Fri, 30 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>(Adrian Powell) writes:
>> Does anyone know if SGI are planning to produce gaphics boards for PC's?

>They used to, years ago.

>I think that experience may have cured them of the urge!    ;-)

>Much as I like PCs, I still don't see that the system architecture has
>caught up to SGIs well enough to make them eager to try and shoehorn
>their graphics into a PC.  By the time 64-bit PCI is common in the PC
>world, SGI will probably be shipping desktop systems with a 256-bit GIO /
>system bus (maybe using PCI as a periperal bus as they're using EISA in
>the Indigo2s).

I think SGI should watch out because the PC world could quickly eat
into a lot of their graphics business the same way PCs have eaten into
the workstation market in general.  The prices are so low and the
industry moves so fast that SGI's low-end customers could start to
disappear.  It hasn't happened yet because the PC OSes and buses
weren't up to the task and no vendor in the PC market was pushing this
type of technology.  But now we have Windows 95, Windows NT, and the
PCI bus coupled with Microsoft's great interest in providing 3-D
graphics libraries and software. That may prove to be a deadly
combination for SGI.

gp.

SGI PC boards??.

Post by Alex Madara » Sun, 02 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote: (George Petras) writes:
> I think SGI should watch out because the PC world could quickly eat
> into a lot of their graphics business the same way PCs have eaten into
> the workstation market in general.

I'll believe it when I see it, and I haven't seen any evidence of it yet.

SGI PC boards??.

Post by Olaf St » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>(Adrian Powell) writes:
>>> Does anyone know if SGI are planning to produce gaphics boards for PC's?

>>They used to, years ago.

>>I think that experience may have cured them of the urge!        ;-)

>>Much as I like PCs, I still don't see that the system architecture has
>>caught up to SGIs well enough to make them eager to try and shoehorn
>>their graphics into a PC.  By the time 64-bit PCI is common in the PC
>>world, SGI will probably be shipping desktop systems with a 256-bit GIO /
>>system bus (maybe using PCI as a periperal bus as they're using EISA in
>>the Indigo2s).

>I think SGI should watch out because the PC world could quickly eat
>into a lot of their graphics business the same way PCs have eaten into
>the workstation market in general.  The prices are so low and the
>industry moves so fast that SGI's low-end customers could start to
>disappear.  It hasn't happened yet because the PC OSes and buses
>weren't up to the task and no vendor in the PC market was pushing this
>type of technology.  But now we have Windows 95, Windows NT, and the
>PCI bus coupled with Microsoft's great interest in providing 3-D
>graphics libraries and software. That may prove to be a deadly
>combination for SGI.
>gp.

Not only microsoft and the PC are eating in the workstation market
also HP have cheaper workstation with faster RENDER possibilties than
SGI. And look also to software like Lightwave 3D animation now on
different platforms and very cheap. The German Company  ESCOM has take
over Commodore Amiga maybe they are comming with powerful workstation
next year.

SGI PC boards??.

Post by Alex Madara » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> Not only microsoft and the PC are eating in the workstation market
> also HP have cheaper workstation with faster RENDER possibilties than
> SGI. And look also to software like Lightwave 3D animation now on
> different platforms and very cheap. The German Company  ESCOM has take
> over Commodore Amiga maybe they are comming with powerful workstation
> next year.

Now, after all these predictions about how "PCs" are gonna steal big
pieces of SGIs thunder, and after claims of other vendors having better
workstations, SGI goes and releases a new high-end Indigo2 graphics
system that leaves Extreme in the dust.

Wonder what the next-gen workstations will be like?

;-)

SGI PC boards??.

Post by Mark Solsm » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: Not only microsoft and the PC are eating in the workstation market
: also HP have cheaper workstation with faster RENDER possibilties than
: SGI. And look also to software like Lightwave 3D animation now on
: different platforms and very cheap. The German Company  ESCOM has take
: over Commodore Amiga maybe they are comming with powerful workstation
: next year.

Oh well, SGI could always make the new Nintendo.

:-}

Mark

--
Mark Solsman                                          voice 202.767.5769
United States Naval Research Laboratory               fax   202.404.7732

SGI PC boards??.

Post by George Petr » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>> Not only microsoft and the PC are eating in the workstation market
>> also HP have cheaper workstation with faster RENDER possibilties than
>> SGI. And look also to software like Lightwave 3D animation now on
>> different platforms and very cheap. The German Company  ESCOM has take
>> over Commodore Amiga maybe they are comming with powerful workstation
>> next year.

>Now, after all these predictions about how "PCs" are gonna steal big
>pieces of SGIs thunder, and after claims of other vendors having better
>workstations, SGI goes and releases a new high-end Indigo2 graphics
>system that leaves Extreme in the dust.

>Wonder what the next-gen workstations will be like?

>;-)

Yeah, but they are $35,000.
Think about it this way.  The mass market for 3-D graphics
accelerators has just begun and you can already get a 24-bit color,
double-buffered, z-buffered, hardware texture-mapped card for under
$1000.  Think about what you'll get in a few years with multitudes of
manufacturers competing and being able to have guaranteed sales in the
tens of thousands for a single card.  Remember, with volume sales, the
per-unit cost of chips can dip significantly which means manufacturers
can market very sophisticated accelerator chips at a comparatively low
price.  (And the PCI bus will soon be 64-bits wide.)

I can't imagine that the Impact machines will have a volume in any way
comparable to the PC market volume.  If there is any interest in 3-D
acceleration for PCs, and I think there will be, PCs will eventually
take a chunk out of SGI's market.

gp.

1. Information wanted on PC based SGI graphics board

Hello. A few years ago we were given a COMPAQ 386DX33 with an
SGI graphics board to test from our SGI salesman. As I remember
SGI and COMPAQ had an agreement to bring SGI capability to
the desktop. About a year later we were told that SGI would
be bring out there own desktop SGI (INDY ?) and that COMPAQ
had bought themselve out of this agreement and had control
over these boards. My question (finally) is what ever happened
with these ? Are they still for sale ? I'd love to put one of
these in my 486 at home to do some basic volume rendering.
Thanks for your help.

                                            Jamie

--
Jamie Fitzpatrick                  |              Adelphi University

2. How to display bitmap files (.BMP) under DOS with Borland C++

3. SGI's Visual PC and leaked info, Welcome SGI

4. cool 3d version3.5 trial error messages

5. search for used graphic board for SGI Personal Iris 4D-25GT

6. it would be NICE

7. SGI Octane Graphics Boards

8. FS: SGI 4xR10K CPU Board Onyx / Challenge

9. Adjusting SGI Galileo Board

10. SGI and Galileo Video Board

11. SGI Video boards...

12. Mac-IDT board, Mac emulator on SGI