Need Advice/Help with SIGGRAPH '92 Art Show

Need Advice/Help with SIGGRAPH '92 Art Show

Post by Robert Grzeszcz » Wed, 25 Dec 1991 13:58:34

Hello netlanders,

        I'm on the ACM SIGGRAPH '92 Conference Art Show committee and I need
your advice, suggestions and general input - even flames are welcome!!! |-)
I'm using a friend's account to post this so please send e-mail to my

I thank you and my friend thanks you!

        One proposed part of the SIGGRAPH '92 Art Show will be a display of
artwork that was submitted electronically through networks to the art show
location.  More specifically, people can use e-mail, ftp and regular
voice-line phone modems to send their images to the art show.  The images
will be juried and if they are accepted, then they will printed out on a
continuous-tone printer on-site at the art show and displayed.  This process
will continue for the entire duration of the art show and will hopefully
produce a dynamic, ever-changing exhibit.

        I am in charge of handling the technical details of this proposed
exhibit and after discussions with John Grimes, the art show chair, this
is what I have so far:

  1) Since "networking" is one of the SIGGRAPH '92 themes, the art show will
     have access to an Internet connection.  However, other parts of the
     conference will also be using the lines during the day.  I have been
     told not to use the network during the day so as not to interfere.

     One solution is to have two computers: one at the art show and another
     one that is "off-site" on a different network than SIGGRAPH.  The
     offsite computer will be able receive submissions all the time without
     intefering with the SIGGRAPH traffic.  Then at some convenient time
     (say, 2 AM), the offsite computer sends the submissions to the computer
     located onsite at the art show.

     The offsite computer must be capable of running multiple e-mail and ftp
     connections along with a few BBS-style modem sessions.  The onsite
     computer only has to drive the printer and display the images for
     jurying.  Both computers will need a gigabyte of disk space or more
     to store the images.  I have used and managed workstation from several
     different vendors; SGI, HP, Sun, IBM and DEC (I'm a programmer/sysadmin
     type person).  For the offsite computer, I am considering a Sun4/470 or
     490; the 470 I used seemed to handle many concurrent users and processes
     fairly well and it also had 3 gigabytes of disk space.
     As for the onsite computer, I am considering an SGI Personal Iris 4D/25
     or 35.  I have used 4D/25's equipped with 1.2 gigabyte drives and they
     should be fine for this application.

     What do you folks think?  Does this setup seem reasonable?  This may
     lead to yet another Usenet computer religious war.  Oh well, only
     small-arms fire please!!! |-) |-)   But seriously, I would like some
     feedback, especially personal experiences.

  2) This is for all you people out there in vendor-land: all the equipment
     for this exhibit must be borrowed or donated - the art show's budget
     isn't THAT big!!!  What is your company's policy on lending or
     donating equipment?  Who should I contact?  The conference annually
     attracts over 20,000 people so this is an excellent opportunity to
     show your equipment in use. (hint, hint)

  3) What about the impact on the net?  Image files tend to be BIG, even if
     they are in a compressed format.  I'm especially worried about the
     first day submissions are allowed - net traffic could get heavy.

  4) How about image formats?  I plan to use the pbmplus package to do
     format conversions so the images can be displayed and printed.
     I have not used this package before but I have heard many good things
     about it.  It seems to handle practically all of the more popular
     image formats.  Any opinions???

        I realize that this group may not be the best place to ask these
questions; I read all the articles (including FAQ's) in news.newusers and
I didn't find anything I could use.  If there is a more appropriate group
to seek the information I need, please let me know.

        That's it for now.  The final version of this proposed exhibit
should be ready by June 1, 1992.  If you have some ideas or suggestions for
the SIGGRAPH '92 Art Show in general, you can send e-mail to the art show

Thanks in advance!

                                        Irv Moy

        |        Insert clever comment -> HERE <- and mail        |

Need Advice/Help with SIGGRAPH '92 Art Show

Post by Paul Mar » Thu, 26 Dec 1991 06:58:28

Quote:> Hello netlanders,

>    I'm on the ACM SIGGRAPH '92 Conference Art Show committee and I need
> your advice, suggestions and general input - even flames are welcome!!! |-)

Well, I do disagree with a few things here, but I'll try not to roast
you too badly...

Quote:> [ ... ]

>    One proposed part of the SIGGRAPH '92 Art Show will be a display of
> artwork that was submitted electronically through networks to the art show
> location.  More specifically, people can use e-mail, ftp and regular
> voice-line phone modems to send their images to the art show.  The images
> will be juried and if they are accepted, then they will printed out on a
> continuous-tone printer on-site at the art show and displayed.  This process
> will continue for the entire duration of the art show and will hopefully
> produce a dynamic, ever-changing exhibit.

My foremost gripe with this plan is that this is an art show. As such,
you are dealing with *art*, not just images. As an artist, I take
great pride in the procedure and materials used in the production of
my work: the technique used for printing, the paper it's printed on,
the frame surrounding the finished product, etc. All of these vital
features would be lost under your scheme. Furthermore, since I may not
actually be there to look at the printed image, there may be unwanted
artifacts resulting from the printer which I would not be aware of,
and may not want the work displayed because of it. For these reasons,
I doubt I would use this method of submitting artwork.

Furthermore, if I am producing a hologram, a sculpture, or any kind of
interactive display, this is also useless to me.

Finally, the concept of jurying these items immediately, as they are
submitted over the wire, bothers me. In the past, siggraph art show
deadlines have been as early as February. I understood this was
because the jurying process was a long, drawn-out event, requiring the
presence of all the jurors looking at all the works and deciding what
should be displayed and what shouldn't. Are you planning on having all
the jurors present each time something comes over the net to decide
whether it is worthy of display or not? I doubt you'd be able to get
them all together all week, which means one or two people (instead of
all the jurors) will decide which works are printed and displayed.
This seems a little unfair to people who submit for the regular art
exhibit and are subject to the entire jury's decision. Also, those
artists submitting at the earlier deadline will have much less time to
prepare the piece. Those people submitting over the wire basically get
an extra five months leeway on their deadline.

This just seems like a little glitz. It turns the art show into some
schlocky gimmick and detracts from the intention, philosophy, and
overall feel of an "art show". I seriously hope you reconsider this.

--

                Evans & Sutherland

1. SIGGRAPH '92 Roommate needed

I have a room booked for Wednesday and Thrusday nights
at the Congress Hotel at $90/night.

I'm looking to split the bill with a male non-smoker.

Thanks,
Greg Shannon
Computer Science
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana

P.S. If you're in Indianapolis or at Purdue,
     I can give you a ride to Chicago then too.

2. messiah and images?

3. Advice wanted on finding a good ray tracing package for a beginner.

4. Need place to stay for SIGGRAPH '92

5. Potentially OT Starship Troopers

6. SIGBand Volunteers Needed for SIGGRAPH '92

7. SIGGRAPH'92 : Need a roommate to share a hotel room

8. CALL FOR PAPERS - CA'92 (Computer Animation'92)

9. Repost: SIGGRAPH '92 Visual Proceedings Available

10. Video outside CAVE at SigGraph '92?