OK, my first attempt at something artistic

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by Dion L Hea » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00



I'm thinking of doing a revamp of my fishing website, (url is in my sig)
anyway, I thought for my main logo I'd pull out all the stops and try
something really clever and arty, don't laugh now, I think it came out quite
OK for a beginner. I also added a java applet to the graphic, but, trying to
be clever again, 'I think' it should just show the graphic without java if
people don't have java enabled. I'd really appreciate some of you peoples
opinions on it as I rate the advice in here above any other NG. All done in
PSP6, like I said, don't laugh, I still consider myself a beginner.

I've posted the graphic/java combination to :-

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix/dwtest/fishtest.htm

Many thanks in advance,

regards,
--

--------------------------------------------
Delete "slamspam" to reply.
--------------------------------------------
Visit my fishing and modems website at:-
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix
--------------------------------------------
A man who clothes himself in good deeds wears the best camouflage.

 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by Ron Lac » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00


On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:22:41 -0000, "Dion L Heap"


>I'm thinking of doing a revamp of my fishing website, (url is in my sig)
>anyway, I thought for my main logo I'd pull out all the stops and try
>something really clever and arty, don't laugh now, I think it came out quite
>OK for a beginner.

Looks great Don though be forwarned, there are a lot of lake applet
haters out there<gr>.  Kinda miss the pike though.

Cheers
Ron

 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by Beth Winte » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00



> I'm thinking of doing a revamp of my fishing website, (url is in my sig)
> anyway, I thought for my main logo I'd pull out all the stops and try
> something really clever and arty, don't laugh now, I think it came out quite
> OK for a beginner. I also added a java applet to the graphic, but, trying to
> be clever again, 'I think' it should just show the graphic without java if
> people don't have java enabled. I'd really appreciate some of you peoples
> opinions on it as I rate the advice in here above any other NG. All done in
> PSP6, like I said, don't laugh, I still consider myself a beginner.

> I've posted the graphic/java combination to :-

> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix/dwtest/fishtest.htm

Very nice, just 1 thing: drop the lake, please. It's just not stylish,
youknow...
--
Beth Winter
 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by JoFl » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Looks good!  And I'm not a big fan of the lake applet, either....in the
wrong places.  For example, a lake applet on a page having to do with
computer graphics doesn't make much sense!  However, for a fishing page, I
think it's totally appropriate...fits right in with the theme.
btw....I DO applaud you for not putting music on your page, though!  I'd
rather see a lake applet than be forced to listen to music...and my computer
always slows down so much when music is loading.

--
JoFlo
Paint Shop ProPourri - http://members.xoom.com/JoFlo/psp/psp.htm
Custom Handwriting Fonts - http://members.xoom.com/JoFlo/fonts/fonts.htm

"We are not human beings on a spiritual journey, but spiritual beings on a
human journey." - Stephen R. Covey



> I'm thinking of doing a revamp of my fishing website, (url is in my sig)
> anyway, I thought for my main logo I'd pull out all the stops and try
> something really clever and arty, don't laugh now, I think it came out
quite
> OK for a beginner. I also added a java applet to the graphic, but, trying
to
> be clever again, 'I think' it should just show the graphic without java if
> people don't have java enabled. I'd really appreciate some of you peoples
> opinions on it as I rate the advice in here above any other NG. All done
in
> PSP6, like I said, don't laugh, I still consider myself a beginner.

> I've posted the graphic/java combination to :-

> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix/dwtest/fishtest.htm

> Many thanks in advance,

> regards,
> --

> --------------------------------------------
> Delete "slamspam" to reply.
> --------------------------------------------
> Visit my fishing and modems website at:-
> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix
> --------------------------------------------
> A man who clothes himself in good deeds wears the best camouflage.

 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by Dion L Hea » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00



Quote:> Looks good!  And I'm not a big fan of the lake applet, either....in the
> wrong places.  For example, a lake applet on a page having to do with
> computer graphics doesn't make much sense!  However, for a fishing page, I
> think it's totally appropriate...fits right in with the theme.

My views entirely.

Quote:> btw....I DO applaud you for not putting music on your page,

Music on webpages is definately the spawn of the devil.

But what about the picture itself ? Is it up to the standards of this group?
I'ts the first time i've used layers and tubes etc in abundance, as you can
no doubt tell, everything is on layers to get the perspective etc, and all
the grass & trees were tubes from Diana's superb Free Tubes site, so really
it is my first attempt at something complicated with psp.

regards,
--

--------------------------------------------
Delete "slamspam" to reply.
--------------------------------------------
Visit my fishing and modems website at:-
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix
--------------------------------------------
A man who clothes himself in good deeds wears the best camouflage.

 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by Dion L Hea » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00



> On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:22:41 -0000, "Dion L Heap"

> Looks great Don though be forwarned, there are a lot of lake applet
> haters out there<gr>.  Kinda miss the pike though.

I think it's like everything else, everything has a place, and as JoFlo
said, it seemed appropriate on a fishing site (or it will be when i build
the rest of the site around it!)  Re the Pike, that was from a site i was
doing for a company, they started getting unreasonable and having attitude
so i just removed the site :o)  so the pike is never to be seen again.

regards,
--

--------------------------------------------
Delete "slamspam" to reply.
--------------------------------------------
Visit my fishing and modems website at:-
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix
--------------------------------------------
A man who clothes himself in good deeds wears the best camouflage.

 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by JoFl » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00


The graphic looks great!  You know, I didn't know how much of it you created
from scratch.  Yes, I'm now recognizing some of Diana's tubes in there...you
can never go wrong with them!  The 3d text is a nice effect, too.  The only
thing I might change if I were you is *perhaps* not having that black border
around the image....kind of detracts from it.  All in all, you did a very
good job.

--
JoFlo
Paint Shop ProPourri - http://members.xoom.com/JoFlo/psp/psp.htm
Custom Handwriting Fonts - http://members.xoom.com/JoFlo/fonts/fonts.htm

"We are not human beings on a spiritual journey, but spiritual beings on a
human journey." - Stephen R. Covey



Quote:> But what about the picture itself ? Is it up to the standards of this
group?
> I'ts the first time i've used layers and tubes etc in abundance, as you
can
> no doubt tell, everything is on layers to get the perspective etc, and all
> the grass & trees were tubes from Diana's superb Free Tubes site, so
really
> it is my first attempt at something complicated with psp.

 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by RogueAnge » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Looks great and the lake applet is totally appropriate for a fishing
page.

--
RogueAngel



> I'm thinking of doing a revamp of my fishing website, (url is in my
sig)
> anyway, I thought for my main logo I'd pull out all the stops and
try
> something really clever and arty, don't laugh now, I think it came
out quite
> OK for a beginner. I also added a java applet to the graphic, but,
trying to
> be clever again, 'I think' it should just show the graphic without
java if
> people don't have java enabled. I'd really appreciate some of you
peoples
> opinions on it as I rate the advice in here above any other NG. All
done in
> PSP6, like I said, don't laugh, I still consider myself a beginner.

> I've posted the graphic/java combination to :-

> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix/dwtest/fishtest.htm

> Many thanks in advance,

> regards,
> --

> --------------------------------------------
> Delete "slamspam" to reply.
> --------------------------------------------
> Visit my fishing and modems website at:-
> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix
> --------------------------------------------
> A man who clothes himself in good deeds wears the best camouflage.

 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by Dion L Hea » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00



The only

Quote:> thing I might change if I were you is *perhaps* not having that black
border
> around the image....kind of detracts from it.  All in all, you did a very
> good job.

The thing is, it HAD to have the border, maybe not black but it needed
something to break it up from the background. Maybe a different colour
border, but it did look dreadfull without it.
some experimantation might be in order.

regards,
--

--------------------------------------------
Delete "slamspam" to reply.
--------------------------------------------
Visit my fishing and modems website at:-
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix
--------------------------------------------
A man who clothes himself in good deeds wears the best camouflage.

 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by Kevin R Raleig » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Just check out your page and the site that hosts the applets
Very cooool effects..........
Can you give me an idea of what the file size for what you created is ??
Does the applet increase the code the file size all that much?
Your experience.
thanx
krr


> I'm thinking of doing a revamp of my fishing website, (url is in my sig)
> anyway, I thought for my main logo I'd pull out all the stops and try
> something really clever and arty, don't laugh now, I think it came out
quite
> OK for a beginner. I also added a java applet to the graphic, but, trying
to
> be clever again, 'I think' it should just show the graphic without java if
> people don't have java enabled. I'd really appreciate some of you peoples
> opinions on it as I rate the advice in here above any other NG. All done
in
> PSP6, like I said, don't laugh, I still consider myself a beginner.

> I've posted the graphic/java combination to :-

> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix/dwtest/fishtest.htm

> Many thanks in advance,

> regards,
> --

> --------------------------------------------
> Delete "slamspam" to reply.
> --------------------------------------------
> Visit my fishing and modems website at:-
> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix
> --------------------------------------------
> A man who clothes himself in good deeds wears the best camouflage.

 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by Dion L Hea » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00




Quote:> Just check out your page and the site that hosts the applets
> Very cooool effects..........
> Can you give me an idea of what the file size for what you created is ??
> Does the applet increase the code the file size all that much?
> Your experience.
> thanx
> krr

The actual graphic is only the part above the ripple, I saved it as a jpeg
and it came out at 21k, I did'nt experiment with compression so it could
probably be made quite a bit smaller, especially if the higher compression
has a softening effect as I think the subject couls take that. Then the
applet (lake applet) code is about 10k, it just has to be included in the
root file for the page, in effect, you don't really upload the graphic like
making a normal web graphic, you just insert the applet and tell it which
picture to use, you can also add an 'alt' tag which in theory, will just
show the graphic without the rippling on browsers with java disabled.

hope this helps, I can't tell you much more as this was my first attempt at
java, the pic was also my first attempt at a multi layered and multi tubed
graphic.

regards,
--

--------------------------------------------
Delete "slamspam" to reply.
--------------------------------------------
Visit my fishing and modems website at:-
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix
--------------------------------------------
A man who clothes himself in good deeds wears the best camouflage.

 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by Ron Lace » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00


On Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:40:40 -0800, "Kevin R Raleigh"


>Just check out your page and the site that hosts the applets
>Very cooool effects..........
>Can you give me an idea of what the file size for what you created is ??
>Does the applet increase the code the file size all that much?

I was playing around with the lake applet a while back, the size of
this page http://ronstoons.com/lake/ is about 31KB for the whole kit
and kaboodle.  The applet is 6.95KB

Cheers
Ron

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
                   Ron Lacey
                   Murillo Ont.
       ron at ronstoons dot com
          http://ronstoons.com/
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by Jeanne Bryn » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Quote:>I was playing around with the lake applet a while back, the size of
>this page http://ronstoons.com/lake/ is about 31KB for the whole kit
>and kaboodle.  The applet is 6.95KB

>Cheers
>Ron

I couldn't get that page to come up.

"*^*" Jeanne "*^*"

"Only a mediocre person is always at his best."  --Somerset Maugham

Jeanne's Place:  http://members.aol.com/jbpublic/index.htm
Jeanne's Divesite:  http://members.aol.com/bjbdive/index.htm

 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by Kevin R Raleig » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Sounds like your doing good things!
I just worked on my first multilayered and multidimensional image.
It really showed me how powerful PSP is.
I didn't think it possible to do so much so quickly.
I thought I would still be working in the stone age of graphics for at least
a couple of months.

The work I did was nothing extraordinary compared to what is out there but
compared to where I started.
It was truly amazing.

Makes your day for sure!
thanx for the tips!
Glad you posted your applet
I didn't know they were available.
I agree with what others posted
It is a great use of the applet
Your site couldn't be a better choice for representing what the applet can
do
krr





> > Just check out your page and the site that hosts the applets
> > Very cooool effects..........
> > Can you give me an idea of what the file size for what you created is ??
> > Does the applet increase the code the file size all that much?
> > Your experience.
> > thanx
> > krr

> The actual graphic is only the part above the ripple, I saved it as a jpeg
> and it came out at 21k, I did'nt experiment with compression so it could
> probably be made quite a bit smaller, especially if the higher compression
> has a softening effect as I think the subject couls take that. Then the
> applet (lake applet) code is about 10k, it just has to be included in the
> root file for the page, in effect, you don't really upload the graphic
like
> making a normal web graphic, you just insert the applet and tell it which
> picture to use, you can also add an 'alt' tag which in theory, will just
> show the graphic without the rippling on browsers with java disabled.

> hope this helps, I can't tell you much more as this was my first attempt
at
> java, the pic was also my first attempt at a multi layered and multi tubed
> graphic.

> regards,
> --

> --------------------------------------------
> Delete "slamspam" to reply.
> --------------------------------------------
> Visit my fishing and modems website at:-
> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~homesix
> --------------------------------------------
> A man who clothes himself in good deeds wears the best camouflage.

 
 
 

OK, my first attempt at something artistic

Post by Kevin R Raleig » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00


That is really impressive. I can see where some people might find them
irritating but when done right they really do add a whole new dimension to
web design. The file size is equally impressive. If I had guessed I would
have said at least 50-60 kb for a file with those dimensions and clarity.
Not to mention the add special effects.

krr


> On Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:40:40 -0800, "Kevin R Raleigh"

> >Just check out your page and the site that hosts the applets
> >Very cooool effects..........
> >Can you give me an idea of what the file size for what you created is ??
> >Does the applet increase the code the file size all that much?

> I was playing around with the lake applet a while back, the size of
> this page http://ronstoons.com/lake/ is about 31KB for the whole kit
> and kaboodle.  The applet is 6.95KB

> Cheers
> Ron

> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>                    Ron Lacey
>                    Murillo Ont.
>        ron at ronstoons dot com
>           http://ronstoons.com/
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 
 
 

1. My first attempts at raytracing...

I have had povray 2.2 for just under aweek now and i have a problem.

My firt real picture (read: serious) is a table lamp (really original :) )
and I cant seem to get the edges of the light coming out of the bottom
of the lamp to be fuzzy on the ground below the lamp.  How can it be done?

Also I cannot get mirroring to work, it only appears with a black plane.

Check out my web page for the pictures.

I NEED A FASTER COMPUTER!!

--
Craig Taylor (CuJo)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my new homepage...                  |"It takes a fast man to grab a
    http://www.cs.curtin.edu.au/~taylorcr     | tiger by the balls, but it takes
----------------------------------------------- a hero to squeeze"
"flop...flop...flop...flop..."                |     -George Stark in
"I see you spleen! Catch that spleen somebody"| Stephen King's The Dark Half
"flppityflop...flippityflop...flippityflop..."|

2. Mapping to sphere - information needed.

3. Graphics Formats---a first attempt

4. CONF: Proceedings of VRST'94

5. First attempt

6. PHIGS on SGI?

7. My First Attempt At Vector Drawing

8. URGENT: Rain Animation Question!

9. Wacom Graphire2 - first attempt

10. First attempt at a FAQ

11. My first person model attempt

12. my first attempt at HLSL gone awry